Edgestar Fridge Modifications Thread

02TahoeMD

Explorer
I love mine especially at the price I paid for it.
Not a good review in this months OJ.

we need to start a modifications page for this fridge, so we can share how we made our cheap fridge better.

so far
I switched out the cheap 12 Plug. both in the fridge and on the cord, made a slide, and next I will build a basket divider.
what else do we need? better insulation, a cover, better tie down locations or strong handles, interior light?

I figured i would take up GPWPAT's idea and start a thread about the mods we have done to and for our el-cheapo fridges that so many of us have gotten.

My first mod was done when I got it, I got rid of the cigarette lighter plug and hard wired the fridge to the supply line I had run from my house battery to the back of my truck. I used a $3 GM alternator plug set from Pep Boys to give it a quick disconnect that wont come undone unless you make it so.

Edgestarconnector.jpg

I am also kicking around ideas on how to make an insulation bag for it, I will post up here in the thread when I do.

Here is a link to the very nice slider made by KENALLWINE

Last edited:

Bennyhana

Adventurer
Here's My tie down fix. It's a piece of 16ga steel about 9"x3.5". Works good but if I were to do it again I'd use a slightly thicker metal. This was made from scraps I had laying around so total mod cost=FREE.
Various021.jpg

Various020.jpg

Edit* Other favorite mod was cutting out a small plastic floor to make a smooth flat bottom so bottles will stand up..

evldave

Expedition Trophy Winner
Here's My tie down fix. It's a piece of 16ga steel about 9"x3.5". Works good but if I were to do it again I'd use a slightly thicker metal. This was made from scraps I had laying around so total mod cost=FREE.
Various021.jpg

Edit* Other favorite mod was cutting out a small plastic floor to make a smooth flat bottom so bottles will stand up..

Pics of the floor mod?

Also, do you think the handle screws would be long enough for 1/8" flat bar? I have some 3" laying around and could totally use that instead of my tie straps right now...

Bennyhana

Adventurer
I don't think the screws are long enough for 1/8th in plate. You can see one of the screws in the second pic. While it might engage some of the threads it probably wont be enough to trust. As for the floor..I don't have any pics handy but if I remember I'll snap one. I just used the bottom of an old plastic bin I had laying around. Cardboard works well also..not coragated but like soda case boxes.

Xterabl

Adventurer
Not a "true" mode, but I thought I'd mention that these Rubbermaid ice bins fit perfectly across the short side of the fridge (with wire basket removed), allowing more compartmentalization. I got mine at local Orchard Supply Hardware.

21ONEmccVdL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-White-Ice-Cube-Bin/dp/B0010L1C28"]Amazon.com: Rubbermaid White Ice Cube Bin: Kitchen & Dining[/ame]

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
I love this fridge.

Another slide idea-
Drill holes through metal channel on bottom of fridge (these bolts were replaced with 1/4" hardware):
818132945_CGvL8-M.jpg

Attach to base of slide with 1/4" hardware:
818133875_7QYui-M.jpg

Use light torque on the bolts as the metal channel will bend.

Fridge mounted:
818134732_qmsKE-M.jpg

Finished product:
818135456_rDPLb-M.jpg

We configured the fridge/slide so that both the driver and passenger could reach back and access drinks and snacks while driving:
814138709_MK79W-M.jpg

Works great!

Strizzo

Explorer
the solar screen cover really does work! after seeing the custom sewn one in this thread, i threw the one i had laying around in the garage over top of my fridge for last weekend's trip, just covering the top and long sides of the fridge, and held in place with bungees. mine has a bit of trouble keeping cool if its in the sun, even with the dark tint on the xterra's back windows. with the sun shade over the top and sides, it had no problem keeping the fridge at its set temp all day saturday and sunday while on the road. i'd like to get a transit-cover similar to the ARB and Engels put together so that the fridge can be as efficient as possible.

EDIT: next step will be improving the cig. lighter plug. it came loose a couple times over the weekend while driving on the washboard roads.

Last edited:

TurboChris

Adventurer
I used these Marine Grade locking plug and receptacles...theyre great.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002KRC5Y/?tag=5336653594-20"]Amazon.com: Marine Grade Cigarette Lighter Socket 12 VDC: Electronics[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002KRC5O/?tag=5336653594-20"]Amazon.com: Marine Grade Locking Cigarette Lighter Plug 12 VDC: Electronics[/ame]

XJBANKER

Explorer
So are people going straight from the battery to the fridge for power or where are you tapping in? Also if you are doing it that way are you putting a fuse (what size) in between the battery and fridge?

drabnor

since my fridge sits in the "bed" of my truck I had to "weatherproof" it

dust covers over vents and magnetic sheets to completely cover the vents if needed
vent2.jpg

ventm.jpg

reflective cover
coveros.jpg

made brackets like Ricks, have turnbuckles and chains on there now not the ratchet strap

Navman

Adventurer
since my fridge sits in the "bed" of my truck I had to "weatherproof" it

dust covers over vents and magnetic sheets to completely cover the vents if needed
vent2.jpg

[

What plug/cord is that and where did you get it? I pulled my stock one out last night to test my new dual battery setup and saw that the connector was broken. I want to replace it with something a little more durable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles