talk me out of a ktm 640 adventure

weatherm

Adventurer
please? I really like them though... I've owned a few street bikes but that gets boring.. I like dirt and street :sombrero:

they are going for ~5k right now tricked out with 8-10k miles.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!

weatherm

Adventurer
Already looked at both and am looking at that 07 .. already talked to the owner. Its a pretty silly deal and the dude is legit.

Supposedly the 03's and up have the camshaft thing fixed so engines are bomber till 50k + but thats just what I hear.

decisions decisions.. the question is how long can I hold off.

Wallache

Observer
Do you ever ride like a hooligan? If no, you'll probably be better off with some Japanese blah-bike. If yes, the harder you ride it, the more it delivers.

billy bee

Adventurer
Supposedly the 03's and up have the camshaft thing fixed so engines are bomber till 50k + but thats just what I hear.

There are a few minor tweaks required of earlier LC4's (640E and 640Adv). But they are just a bulletproof as the later models. So, I would not shy away from an earlier one. Creeper (on AdvRider) was very helpful to me in my purchase of a used '01 LC4E. It is the most fun and versatile bike I have ever owned. I currently have a set of SM wheels/tires in addition to the Enduro setup. I keep D606's on the the enduro wheels and can swap them out in 20 minutes.

The Adv is an entirely different animal. I have ridden them back to back. Perhaps due to its weight, it feels much more smooth than the E. My Enduro blurs my vision at certain RPMs.

So, I cannot offer you any help if you really want to be talked out of buying one. My suggestion, however, would be to buy an older bike. I have seen them trading just north of $3k. Save a few beans that you can put into accessorizing the bike to suit your riding.

There were some performance upgrades to the head in '02 or '03. Forget the details, but a bike of that vintage with the added power might be a good buy.

This is an old pic of my Enduro. I have made many changes since this was taken. Now has all orange plastics, except for the tank which is now all black (just peeled the sticker off and stuck it to my garage wall). Removed the heavier racks and installed a billet aluminum rack and wings for soft bags.

88850520_QxNCD-M.jpg

I have ridden many long trips on this bike and hope to ride many more. It is not as erelaxing as riding my BMW R1150GS was, but it was really exhilarating.

bb

weatherm

Adventurer
Do you ever ride like a hooligan? If no, you'll probably be better off with some Japanese blah-bike. If yes, the harder you ride it, the more it delivers.

I am a bit of a loose cannon and sloppy with my riding style so yes I need a KTM to compensate for my gnar factor:) hahah

Cruiser

Adventurer
I have a 625sxc,, the 640 with less stuff and slightly snottier mill.. by all means,, BUY IT!!!! they are fun.. they will get you in trouble.. nothing like pulling up to a group of HD riders going slow and cracking the throttle and passing them on one wheel..

RHINO

Expedition Leader
i used to own an 03,,, great bike, one of my favorites. just as a counter point, i sold it and ride a bare bones dirt bike with a plate now,,, so much more fun w/o all that extra stuff hangin off the front end and rides down the hiway just as well.

dirtysouth

Adventurer
I have 3 riding buddies who all just recently picked up 640 adventures, and they all agree that the KTM will make you a better rider. I have owned numerous dualsports, most of them being Japanese bikes and will admit that they need quiet a bit done to them to bring them up to par with the KTM's.

I want one as well, but I can only justify one bike right now so I will have to wait on the 640's.

I have 3 riding buddies who all just recently picked up 640 adventures, and they all agree that the KTM will make you a better rider.
I'm totally pooping in this thread, but talk to me about this. Are they tougher to ride vs ?? Or what?

I've been lusting after a 990 lately... :drool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles