talk me out of a ktm 640 adventure

weatherm

Adventurer
That company has done a lot I know. They were in charge of Ken Block before he moved to Ford or something.

SM setup .. let me know what you got... I might be interested. Once I get my front tire changed out today (tube got damaged in transport from being strapped down) I'm going to put all the kit on it and start getting used to the extra weight.

The bike is awesome. Rode it yesterday for its virgin ride. I still have a grin on my face... nothing like a KLR... I mean NOTHING. This has to be the funnest bike I've ever ridden. I'm still:drool: just astonishing.

RHINO

Expedition Leader
nothing like a KLR... I mean NOTHING.

haha thats funny right there,, but it does point out the whole different bike types and all, i mean, the KTM640A feels to me like a KLR compared to what i ride now. which is a stripped down barely street legal dirt bike.

weatherm

Adventurer
Yup its all relative for sure but a direct comparison the ktm wins in my book especially with a new set of dunlop 606's...working on a climbing trip right now with it!

RHINO

Expedition Leader
that 640 was/is an awesome bike. for a guy who wants the range it offers with suspension enough for some pretty serious off road riding its a win/win. the reason i sold mine was because i didnt spend enough time on the open road to warrant the fairing, and i never needed the range that tank offered so i figured a lighter bike would suit me better.

have fun with it, i really enjoyed mine.

weatherm

Adventurer
Yep the bike is awesome... I'm still trying to learn the offroad stuff... just going to take it slow and steady. Planning on a pretty good trip to go rock climbing at the end of the month and trip or two is planned for the wife and I.

RHINO

Expedition Leader
the off road stuff will come pretty quickly, you've heard it mentioned the 640a will make you better rider,,, i dont know about that but it will inspire confidence and you will notice yourself taking on more speed with any given terrain than your previous bike. just take it easy, you'll know when to hit it.

weatherm

Adventurer
friggin slave cylinder just went out yesterday :( dumb previous owner used brake fluid! argh!

day one my brother killed the battery
day two shredded from tire from being low on air during transport
day three slave went out

3rd times a charm :)

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
friggin slave cylinder just went out yesterday :( dumb previous owner used brake fluid! argh!

day one my brother killed the battery
day two shredded from tire from being low on air during transport
day three slave went out

3rd times a charm :)

I saw your post on ADVrider and figured it must be you. Sucks to have to work on your new toy. But on the upside, if you have any future "KTM issues" they won't seem so bad. Right? (I didn't think so either).

Still like the bike?

weatherm

Adventurer
lol! yep. I think the PO used brake fluid b/c it sure wasn't red and it tasted like brake fluid

Yeah the bike is great.... the slave cylinder is the only known issue from what I have been reading so now that its out of the way I'll be good for 30k + miles I hope.

Anything used will have its few quirks until you get them sorted out.. better now than on a trip 100miles from no where :Wow1:

RHINO

Expedition Leader
is dot 5 just mineral oil, or some kinda blend? thats what i ran in mine and i remember it called for it.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
is dot 5 just mineral oil, or some kinda blend?
DOT5 is silicone in the USA.

Overseas that may not be the case. In France DOT5 is a formulation similar to the DOT3 and DOT4. Listed as a premium replacement for those.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior