RTT cover straps

trump

Adventurist
The straps for the cover of my Mombasa RTT have called it quits and I would like to do a permanent install of a couple new straps.

I read through Wil's install on his Eezi-Awn in this thread:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19860&highlight=rtt+straps&page=2

So, here's my question:

Should I create my own ratchet straps or just get replacements from Mombasa?

While I'm at it... I need a suitable substitute for the bungees for the interior of the tent, or once again, would it be better to get replacements? I never had the originals so I'm unsure of how tight they should pull on the tent.

Any suggestions?

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Both the replacement cover straps and interior bungees are readily available, while the sky is the limit on different solutions you could conceive, the original equipment stuff lasts for a few years in the sun which seems to be par for any materials?

trump

Adventurist
I guess what I was really getting at is this: Is it worth getting the replacement stuff or would a fitted ratchet strap be more beneficial. I'm the second owner, so I don't really don't know how well the originals worked.

trump

Adventurist
Alright then, guess I'll look to keep it ...stock? ...factory? ...OEM? ...Whatever you want to call it.:sombrero:

Thanks.

cruiseroutfit

Give Mel at Mombasa a call and I'm sure he can get you all taken care of. They have always been great to work with.

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
I found that ratchet straps worked better for my Mombasa. I grew tired of the ballon effect on the top of my truck and how the factory straps never seemed effective.

Used the ratchet straps on the last three trips and I wish I had done it sooner.

cruiseroutfit

I found that ratchet straps worked better for my Mombasa. I grew tired of the ballon effect on the top of my truck and how the factory straps never seemed effective.

Fwiw the new ARB tents are using 3 straps in the opposite direction, its proven very effective against the billowing (which has not real side effects?). No reason it couldn't be retrofitted to any other tent setup.

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
Correct, no real side effects to the billowing it just looked junky. But I already had the straps so that made the decision easy for me.

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
My Mombasa is fairly new but I don't like the velcro straps. I found some plastic locking clips at the Coleman store for $1 each that are the perfect width for a replacement (Gander Mountain had them for a little more too) . I just have to have my old boss order some strapping for me (I used to work at an auto interior shop).

The bungie setup has got my interest though. Any pics of it?

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
Bungee or ratchet straps?

Outside or inside?

I didn't like the velcro straps so I used a set of black ratchet straps I already had.

My interior bungee straps never failed.

What I did is a bit overkill so I do not know if it may interest you... I keep my solar panel inside the tent so I wanted a secure strap. I wrap 2 Steel Core straps around the tent and lock the up when we know we will be away from the truck... we have been using them non-stop since last October and really like them.
We are camping in Costa Rica so the tent is open at the moment and can't take pics.

trump

Adventurist
Thanks for the link Rick! I had seen this spot once before, but never built a custom strap. I think I might actually go this route, since I can even match the color of the strap with the RTT cover. Just guessing on the length for now, it was looking like $35 for both. That was with stainless hardware, matching color, and webbing added to the back of the buckle for abrasion protection.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online