Jet Tent by Oztent

Red Zebra

Adventurer
F30

Picked up a F30 Jet Tent a couple of weeks ago and used it this past weekend. Got a great deal that could not pass up.
Looked very closely and the turbo tent but selected the Jet Tent for reasons specific to us. We expect to get a good number of years use.
Supposedly all the Jet Tents are the same internal height with the difference being the floor space. The floor space is identified by the model number: F30 is 3m sq, F25 is 2.5m sq, etc. We put the tent up once at home to sort out everything and then packed for a one night trip.

We did not hurry to deploy or take down but was surprised how fast/easy it was after trying it out at home. Confession: the first time we popped it up at home it took a long time trying to understand how the structure/poles worked. HINT--Read the directions and no beer until you raise and lower it at least one time. =) Once you understand the sequence of locking the top open THEN extending the legs it goes up fast with most of the time taken up by walking around to each corner to extend each leg. It's even faster if your partner gets involved and helps. :coffee:

I was surprised how big this thing is when packed. Really thought I poked the pooch until we had it popped up and staked out = nice! Wouldn't trade it. We have smaller tents for different situations. This one fits the bill for our style of car/jeep camping.

Pros:
-Head room (I'm 6'4") with several inches to spare.
-Floor space--plenty of room around the queen-size air matt.
-Good quality zippers and material.
-The support ropes are built-in with little storage pockets.
-One person set-up.
-Set-up in 2-3 minutes including unloading from car and carry bag (add another few minutes for stakes).
-Rain fly goes on in another minute or two. Being tall helps here if you do it solo. Otherwise two people make it easier.
-Take down is simple but add a couple of minutes for folding up and loading back into the carry bag.
-metal stakes you could skewer and roast a piglet with.

Cons:
-Heavy (but your car camping).
-Long when packed. It fits from the rear door to the driver side back seat of a JKU with only a few inches of margin (with the single back seat folded down). An F25 would pack smaller.

Picked up a F30 Jet Tent a couple of weeks ago and used it this past weekend. Got a great deal that could not pass up.
Looked very closely and the turbo tent but selected the Jet Tent for reasons specific to us. We expect to get a good number of years use.
Supposedly all the Jet Tents are the same internal height with the difference being the floor space. The floor space is identified by the model number: F30 is 3m sq, F25 is 2.5m sq, etc. We put the tent up once at home to sort out everything and then packed for a one night trip.

We did not hurry to deploy or take down but was surprised how fast/easy it was after trying it out at home. Confession: the first time we popped it up at home it took a long time trying to understand how the structure/poles worked. HINT--Read the directions and no beer until you raise and lower it at least one time. =) Once you understand the sequence of locking the top open THEN extending the legs it goes up fast with most of the time taken up by walking around to each corner to extend each leg. It's even faster if your partner gets involved and helps. :coffee:

I was surprised how big this thing is when packed. Really thought I poked the pooch until we had it popped up and staked out = nice! Wouldn't trade it. We have smaller tents for different situations. This one fits the bill for our style of car/jeep camping.

Pros:
-Head room (I'm 6'4") with several inches to spare.
-Floor space--plenty of room around the queen-size air matt.
-Good quality zippers and material.
-The support ropes are built-in with little storage pockets.
-One person set-up.
-Set-up in 2-3 minutes including unloading from car and carry bag (add another few minutes for stakes).
-Rain fly goes on in another minute or two. Being tall helps here if you do it solo. Otherwise two people make it easier.
-Take down is simple but add a couple of minutes for folding up and loading back into the carry bag.
-metal stakes you could skewer and roast a piglet with.

Cons:
-Heavy (but your car camping).
-Long when packed. It fits from the rear door to the driver side back seat of a JKU with only a few inches of margin (with the single back seat folded down). An F25 would pack smaller.

Thanks for your detailed reply!

I am looking at $900 for the F30. Would you still buy it at that price?

I like that it has a high interior height. Seems that I may rub with Kodiak. Surprised that it sets up that fast! That is a lot quicker than the Kodiak. Want to run two cots and a couple of camp chairs inside for bad weather. Seems like that would be ok in the F30?

The two cons are fine for me. Like you said I am car camping. I have a lightweight backpacking tent for anything far away. Also have a 6ft bed with a camper shell and cargo/sleep platform that it would fit perfectly in.

Red Zebra

Adventurer
HA! My wife wanted to time me but as I explained we are here to relax. :sombrero:
The fast part about the tent it getting it erected. AFter that it's probably like all the others... it takes time to stake, tie down, rain fly, etc. We were tired of the "it takes two people with 7 arms" to set up other fiberglass/aluminum pole tents we have. The Jet is truly a one man show if you do it in the proper sequence. The take down is easy but you will benefit from watching a youtube vid of the fold up. This dude does it in a couple of minutes with a F21 with no rain fly and the stakes are out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNb9cqWBDUM

Not sure what it actually retails for but saw it on a Tent retail sight for $1099. Yes, I would pay $900 for new demo especially after seeing and feeling the quality--I picked mine up for a few dollars less as a 1x use and return because it was too big for the customer. Looks brand new. Heck, I'd pay $1099 for brand new in box knowing what I do now.

The sides angle in slightly toward the top but I can walk around freely. The first time inside I found my self hunched over as a Pavlovian response to stepping inside other tents we have. You should be able to stand tall in the center section but will be close for you at 6'6" but what else is there?

Yes, cots and reasonable size chairs should fit. We use a queen size and bring in two 24 gallon Action Packers since they have all the bedding, clothing, etc. Still plenty of room for the wife's porta-potty in a corner and room to move around.

We also got the zip on side and front panels for the awning but will try that when we will be stopped for more than one night.

Cheers,

Jim

Last edited:
Had a chance last month to try out my new tent on a weekend beach RV park camping trip. Not exactly roughing it but got to see how it worked.

Got the JetTent by Oztent from www.familytentcamping.com. They were super friendly and helpful. Free shipping and got it in 3 days.

I ordered the "5-6" person F30.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382148171.397412.jpg

I was hesitant on whether to buy this tent or the F25 for a $100 less. BTW, the name F30 indicates the size is 3.0 meters x 3.0 meters. The F25 is 2.5m x 2.5m and so on. I am glad I bought this one for me and the girlfriend. It is almost 10ft x 10ft at the base but with sloping walls coming in from all sides it feels smaller. It is big enough for our camping pads or cots plus a two extra chairs and small table. The extra room inside was important to me. I plan to use this area for rainy days, clothes changing, and emergency Lug-A-Loo use.

The packed size is huge! Really wasn't expecting it to be this big or heavy! Setting it up was pretty straight forward. Pull out of bag, point legs up, un clip them, lay poles back opening up tent. Then loose stake in four corners. Pull center up until it locks into place. Then straighten and lock outer legs. That all took about 2 mins. I was pretty impressed how easy it went up. Add another 5-6 mins to take awning out, add rain fly and stake tent down. There were a ton of lines to stake to. That could be a real PITA in hard ground.

Plenty of ventilation inside. Never had any condensation but I was on a breezy beach with no rain. The fabric felt thick and durable. With the fly on it is darker than I am used to in a back packing tent. I liked that. Allowed me to sleep in until 0930 one morning. Usually wake up with the sun when camping.

Plenty of room inside for me to stand straight up in. Didn't feel cramped. The awning made me stoop over but not terribly bad.

Held up fine to the winds coming off of the ocean. Not sure but guessing 20-30 mph gusts? Properly staked I forsee no problems with high winds.

Take down was less enjoyable than set up. After getting all of the guy lines and stakes removed I got my girlfriend to pull down on the center release tab inside the tent. Unfortunately after it reaches parallel it pops down rather fast it and knocked her in the head. I partially blame her for not paying attention, not raising her other hand, and for standing directly under one of the poles. The tent could come with a warning though.

Water had got up under the tent and we had wet sand stuck to the floor. The way the tent is designed it kinda crumbles the floor up when collapsed. So we had to lay in on a table and go around pulling section put so we could brush off all of the wet sand with a hand broom. This took a little while. After we got it cleaned off we put a strap across the center and placed it back in the carrying bag. Surprisingly it went back in the bag fairly easily. No cramping and stuffing trying to get the zippers shut.

Overall very happy with the purchase!

Pros:
-large
-heavy duty
-easy set up
-great ventilation
-plenty of head room
-attached awning

Cons
-expensive!
-packed tent is very large and heavy
-lots of stakes and guy lines required
-requires a rain fly to make it fully waterproof

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382148226.730825.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382148244.026833.jpg

Mojavejohn

Adventurer
Springbar fan

I have a Springbar Vagabond 7. I've been using it for a few years now with no complaints. It's been sturdy in all types of weather. It truly is a one man set-up.

What I just started doing on this last camping trip was to use 12" X 1/2" lag bolts with fender washers over the metal stake loops. It was a pain to hammer in the 17 stakes before. Now I bring along a cordless impact drill. It took about two minutes to set all of the stakes. This upgrade was worth every penny!

I can comfortably get two cots and a small table with all of my gear or three cots + gear inside. I've had four cots and gear, but that's really tight. I can fully stand up in it too.

It took me about 12-15 minutes to fully erect this thing, all by myself (excuse me, my 7 YO daughter was there to help. LOL). That's; setting the ground cloth, unrolling and positioning the tent, staking it down, and raising it. Not to bad. In the past, when I hammered the stakes, it would take at least twice that long.

The tent is big and bulky, but with this style tent, that just comes with the territory.

I can't recommend this tent enough!

Attachments

• Mammoth Lakes trip 10-2013 063 - Copy - Copy - Copy - Copy.jpg
    Mammoth Lakes trip 10-2013 063 - Copy - Copy - Copy - Copy.jpg
    532.6 KB · Views: 69
  • 031.jpg
    031.jpg
    524.9 KB · Views: 69

Jr_Explorer

Explorer
What I just started doing on this last camping trip was to use 12" X 1/2" lag bolts with fender washers over the metal stake loops. It was a pain to hammer in the 17 stakes before. Now I bring along a cordless impact drill. It took about two minutes to set all of the stakes. This upgrade was worth every penny!

Sir... You are freakin' GENIUS! What a great idea. Screw your tent to the ground! I love it! Thanks for sharing that idea.

I have a Springbar Vagabond 7. I've been using it for a few years now with no complaints. It's been sturdy in all types of weather. It truly is a one man set-up.

I can comfortably get two cots and a small table with all of my gear or three cots + gear inside. I've had four cots and gear, but that's really tight. I can fully stand up in it too.

It took me about 12-15 minutes to fully erect this thing, all by myself (excuse me, my 7 YO daughter was there to help. LOL). That's; setting the ground cloth, unrolling and positioning the tent, staking it down, and raising it. Not to bad. In the past, when I hammered the stakes, it would take at least twice that long.

The tent is big and bulky, but with this style tent, that just comes with the territory.

I can't recommend this tent enough!

Pretty cool idea on using an impact to screw the stakes in. Especially for super hard ground.

You do know this is a Jet Tent thread though, right?

There is a general "show your ground tent" thread that this might fit better into.

Kcdude

Adventurer
It has been years since I spent a night in my dads old canvas army tent. Two things come to mind: condensation and the stink. I have seen some reports on the Oztent having condensation issues but I expect the Jet tent has much better ventilation. Anyone have issues?

Also, can someone comment on the canvas odor...this tent has to pass wife approval. If properly aired out, does it retain the stink like old canvas material?

It has been years since I spent a night in my dads old canvas army tent. Two things come to mind: condensation and the stink. I have seen some reports on the Oztent having condensation issues but I expect the Jet tent has much better ventilation. Anyone have issues?

Also, can someone comment on the canvas odor...this tent has to pass wife approval. If properly aired out, does it retain the stink like old canvas material?

My jet tent has plenty of ventilation. No condensation. You notice the smell of canvas but not at all annoying. Reminds me of the military. Girlfriend never mentioned any thing about it.

Red Zebra

Adventurer
Sir... You are freakin' GENIUS! What a great idea. Screw your tent to the ground! I love it! Thanks for sharing that idea.

Yes! I need to check into this too. We've set up approx half dozen times in the Cherokee Nat. Forest with mixed roots and rock in the soil. Hammering stakes in the ground is the most time consuming part of setting up especially when the ground has obstacles. Drilling lag bolts may speed that up!

dufferman

I have been using an Oztent RV4 for 2 years (with the optional fly) and have never had any condensation issues. Also, never noticed any smell.

RBA

Adventurer
Hi Gents,

Need some advice/insight.

I just purchased a Jet tent (F-25) and it came with 2 poles for the awning. However, the awning has 4 holes. One set at the end, and the second at the mid-way point. On OZtent's website, they show the tent with 4 poles in each of the positions where the holes are. I've also seen the tent setup with just the two poles setup at the end of the awning.

Their website doesn't show the extra poles as an option/accessory. Do you guys miss the extra set of poles? of the tent is designed for just 2 poles, why the second set of holes half way on the awning??

Thanks in advance!

Kcdude

Adventurer
The middle holes are for poles that go with peaked side panels. Look at the accessories and it will make sense.

RBA

Adventurer
Odd...on the US site they don't list any accessories for the Jet tent. Has anyone been able to purchase a ground sheet or side panels?

thanks for the response.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94