1979 Unimog Camper for sale in Arizona

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I would love to see some detailed pictures of your new camper along with a writeup of the features!!! You can't get much better than 18 years on the road to prove it all works...

CodyLX450

Adventurer
I've seen that rig several times at the Walmarts in Cottonwood, AZ. That truck looked so good, I would have never guessed it was as old as 79.

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
While up on the Dalton Road (in AK) I remember camping at the Arctic Circle That Mog looks very close to the one we saw parked near where we camped. The color and style of the Mog set of a few memory cells.

That is a great machine congratulations on a fine purchase.

bootzilla

Adventurer
Wow - Rob, that thing looks awesome! Can't wait to see the pics when you get it.

I gotta get one of those...

Robthebrit

Explorer
Desertdude said:
While up on the Dalton Road (in AK) I remember camping at the Arctic Circle That Mog looks very close to the one we saw parked near where we camped. The color and style of the Mog set of a few memory cells.

That is a great machine congratulations on a fine purchase.

Maybe it was them, its last real trip was up to Alaska but I am not 100% sure when that was, a year or two ago back? In fact it has a cracked windsheild from the rocks on the Dalton Highway.

Rob

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
All I was thinking to my self was, wow what a great way to travel and be all warm while it was 30 degres F and raining... not to mention shelter from all those special mosquitoes.

Great Mog!

blupaddler

Conspirator
Rob congrats!

So what are your plans with the mog?
And not to go too much in-depth, but does the CA DMV really have that much of a problem with Mogs? (sorry, probably a stupid question)

Robthebrit

Explorer
Initial plans are to do some longer (2-3 day) but simple trails around socal to get the hang of how it handles. I'll Probably do a few days death valley and maybe the Mohave road, there is also a trip to pyramid lake NV in the near future (with Adventure Trailers) that I plan on going on. We have plans to take our existing double cab mog around the grand canyon and upto the white rim, we'll probably do that trip in this mog now. In the next year we'll probably head to Alaska as well but ultimately I want to head south.

CA are fine with older mogs, after about 85 you may have problems because the truck will not meet federal regs. Getting them registered is just a hassle, they have no idea what it is and they always give a weight and type classification that you don't want, this usually means you end up paying more. This one should be real easy because its obviously an camper so no arguing with them about is it legally a pickup or not.

Rob

Robthebrit

Explorer
I got the camper home, I left Scotts place in Prescott at 9:15pm last night and arived in Blyth CA just before 12:45. I stayed in a crappy motel because the camper was completely empty. I left Blyth this morning at 9:45 and arrived home in Los angeles at 2:10pm.

402 miles in 8 hours, an average of 50mph, for a mog is pretty good. I used less than a quarter of the on board diesel, about 29 gallons (of 160 total) which works out to about 13.8mpg. I pretty mush drove at 55-60 the entire way other than in the hills coming out of Prescott and a couple of freeway hills which slowed me down. I had to slow down a little going through palm springs because it was hot outside and the engine temp was creeping up. Max speed of the mog is about 63mph but the wheels are not very well balanced so I am not 100% sure. Considering the overall weight, the performance is excellent. Its much faster than my other 416 but it does have 40+ more HP and only slightly worse mileage.

No the real work begins!

Rob

Blair G

Adventurer
Robthebrit said:
I got the camper home, I left Scotts place in Prescott at 9:15pm last night and arived in Blyth CA just before 12:45. I stayed in a crappy motel because the camper was completely empty. I left Blyth this morning at 9:45 and arrived home in Los angeles at 2:10pm.

402 miles in 8 hours, an average of 50mph, for a mog is pretty good. I used less than a quarter of the on board diesel, about 29 gallons (of 160 total) which works out to about 13.8mpg. I pretty mush drove at 55-60 the entire way other than in the hills coming out of Prescott and a couple of freeway hills which slowed me down. I had to slow down a little going through palm springs because it was hot outside and the engine temp was creeping up. Max speed of the mog is about 63mph but the wheels are not very well balanced so I am not 100% sure. Considering the overall weight, the performance is excellent. Its much faster than my other 416 but it does have 40+ more HP and only slightly worse mileage.

No the real work begins!

Rob

Exciting Rob! Come North and do a shakedown. Owen and Ewan would have a great time. Got any more pictures?

Blair

Scott Brady

Founder
It is an awesome truck and it was good to see Robb again.

Here are some fun pictures comparing the EW Taco and the Mog. Not much different except height. The mog also has better overall ground clearance too.

IMG_2392.JPG

The mog is actually a few inches longer OAL with the tools box on the back.
The Tacoma wheelbase is longer by at least 6 inches.

IMG_2399.JPG

IMG_2403.JPG

The mog is several inches wider in the cab and track and with the portal axles has loads of ground clearance

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
I got to play around on and ride in this thing Friday evening. It is a magnificent piece of work, with touches that nothing but years of experience on the road could conceive.

Thanks for the ride, Rob!

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Could you please post some pics and information on the inside of the camper.

I would love to see what that many years on the road makes you build....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94