My camper ideas, thoughts, and plans...

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I typed this for another thread and decided to move it over here for some more feedback hopefully....

I am most likely going to use a 1300L Unimog because you can find them in the states already imported and registered. I also like the fact that they are fully mechanical without any engine electronics....

I do like the new U4000 unimogs too...but cost would be a big issue and I don't even think you can get them in the states at all.

I want to build a very lightweight and compact unimog camper. I don't think you see that too often. Most people seem to build a pretty large camper that takes up a good deal of volume. Its far to easy to get overweight on an off-road platform...be it a unimog or a suzuki samurai. You almost always have the space to add too much stuff. I want to keep things pretty simple overall without a lot of fluff....but without having to camp out in the open ( setting up and talking down every day ).

Some of the features I am going to integrate....

-Small overall 'box' size. I don't want the camper to be over the height of the cab of the unimog by much at all, maybe a few inches ( 6 or less ). I will have a small rack on the top of the unimog cab that might be part of a roll cage system. I'm a pretty big fan of a nice clean look though....less is more and all that.

-The camper is hardsided with a triangle shapped section ( side profile ) that raises up with the hinged end at the cab end. This allows for max space over the bed which is raised to create storage under it, and allows for full standing height in the kitchen. The short portion by the cab only contains the mud room ( which is sunken ) and half of the seating area ( seating for 2 that converts into a couch for lounging, or a spare bed for a 3rd person, or to extra counter space for the kitchen ). The moving section of the camper uses brush seals around the base that move with the top. This should help keep out the wind and dust. The top is raised with two long air rams on a balanced circuit. These are also dual action rams so the top can also be held down in the closed position without the need for a lock system ( keeping rattles to a minimum and extra parts out ).

-The bedroom has a full size double bed ( so sheets and stuff work ) that sits against the roof when the top is in the closed position. The bed is at the rear most portion of the camper. This creates maximum space under the bed for storage. Under the bed is space for clothes and personal gear. The bed lifts up on gas struts to allow you to get under it. A full size non-convertable bed was one of the design requirements. I didn't want to have to make up a bed or convert it from something else after a long day on the road. All you have to do is hit the switch to raise the top and jump in the ready made bed.

-The kitchen is in the middle of the camper on the passenger side ( LHD model ) It is very simple overall. It is made up of a 2 burner diesel fired boat stove and a medium sized sink with a hot and cold water tap with a wand style faucet. A cutting board fits over the stove or the sink when you need it. This allows you to go from wash and cut to cut and cook by just moving the board over. There is a small 12V microwave under the stove along with a misc drawer or cupboard. Under the sink is the hot water exchanger and esbar diesel fired water heater. This functions as not only the water heater, but also a truck heater and space heater with a hydronic loop under the floor. The diesel stove can also function as space heater when needed. The fridge is in the middle under a portion of the bed. Since the fridge is in the middle of the camper this should help mimize the distance from the roll axis of the truck and keep things in the fridge a little more stable ( glass jars and such ).

-The dining room is opposite the kitchen and takes up most of the room from the bed to the front of the camper. There will be some storage cupboards in there too, but size will depend on the dining table setup. the dining room is pretty standard with seating for two people ( opposite each other ) with a table in the middle. The dining area also converts in to a couch that faces the center of the camper for lounging by moving the table and some cushions around. The dining area also converts into a spare bed for a 3rd person is the need comes up. We are planning on having a family member or friend ride along with us sometimes. Under the seats are storage bins for misc stuff.

-The mud room/bathroom was mentioned in another post. It is basically a mud room that you walk through to get in the camper. It is in the forward portion on the camper on the passenger side right behind the cab. The area functions as a shower, a mud room, and as a bathroom when the toiled slides out from the wall ( under the sink ). The shower head is recessed in the rear wall. There are also two folding steps in the area to help you walk up into the main camper area. The bathroom was designed like this so you could use it with the top down. The sunken area allow full standing height with the top down. You could even use the bathroom when the truck was moving. This allows a sick person to be sleeping in the back ( on the walkway ) and use the bathroom as needed while driving if need be. This design also keeps the wasted space to a minimum overall, while allowing some privacy when needed for the toilet or shower. You can sill exit the camper if needed through the pass through into the cab.

-The freshwater tank is in the rear under the camper. It is kept above freezing by a heat exchanger run off engine coolant or the diesel esbar heater.

-The greywater tank ( for the sink only ) is in front of the passenger side tire right behind the toilet storage area and basically under the sink. The tank is triangle shapped to keep solids buildup from the sink to a minimum and maximize the usable space in front of the tire. I hope to be able to just gravity drain this without a pump. It is also kept above freezing by a heat exchanger from the truck or the esbar.

-The spare tire is under the bed in the storage space ( laying flat ). It is hooked up to a large drawer slider ( above the tire ) that can lower it to the ground from above using a small winch ( hand power or electric ). A hydraulic bottle jack is stored in the space created by the round shape of the tire. A jack base is in the wheel of the tire. A wheel chock is opposite the jack in the other space created by the wheel. A tire iron and wheel bar stores in the same general area. Hopefully everything needed to change a tire is in the same space. This way you don't have to dig around for everything. I hope I can find room for an impact gun back there too.

I could go on and on and on.....I have been thinking about this for a few years now!!!!

I did a few super quick sketches to show everyone my general idea. As my solidwork model stops changing and gets more finalized I will post more detailed pictures....

camperrough3.jpg

camperrough2.jpg

Camperfloorplan.jpg

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
great project.

My girlfriend took a picture of this Unimog in BC last summer...belongs to a German couple who was traveling around the world (don't they all do?)

:)

This might be a bit bigger that what you are describing, but still a nice setup.

(p.s: can someone explain to me how to publish a full size picture, not just a smaller thumbnail/attachment)

thanks

Christian

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
ZooJunkie said:
I don't like my stove next to my bed. You'll end up smelling your dinner when you are sleeping. :steak:

I wholehearted agree with this point. It's also a safety issue. Open flames next to bed sheets are not a good idea. If practical, keep your stove as close to the rear door as possible.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Its a pretty small camper. I don't think your really going to get the stove far enough away to make much of a difference. This camper isn't any bigger than a standard bed on a 1300L unimog. The only real difference is the drop down for the bathroom/mudroom/shower.

Thank you for the suggestion....please keep them coming.

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Looks good, nice layout.

I have had no problems with the stove being right next to my bed. I wash my dishes and pots and wipe the stove down well before going to sleep because I'm a little bit of a neat freak and because I camp in bear country often. I do keep the fire extinguisher between them, but the smell and safety thing reads a lot worse on paper/interweb than it actually is.

I'm not big on the sloped pop-up roofs. We had one in a VW camper van as a kid but I prefer being able to walk the entire length of the floor without conking my head. I didn't even like the sloped roof in a barn style house we once lived in, so I'm extra biased. But in a small space every inch of room is precious and you'll want all of the head room you can get especially the first time you're stuck in the camper in the rain.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

YeeeeeeeeeeeeeHaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Headroom..........!!!!!!!!!!!!

Who Knew>?!!!!!

LRTentup%20(Cropped).JPG

......hehe

Last edited by a moderator:

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I'm happy this thread is getting going...

There are a few reasons for the sloped roof/tilt up top. I really want a hard side insulated camper that can handle cold areas like eastern Russia without having to use tons of fuel to heat it. The hard sided top should also be quieter to sleep in during heavy winds. The triangle roof section allow me to have a pass through to the truck cab even when the top is down, at night, whenever. This makes it really nice for quick stops to get something out of the back or whatever other reasons you can think of. There is a good deal of headroom. The tallest point in the camper is going to be in the 10-11' range ( from floor level when the top is up ). There is going to be a full 6' of headroom most of the standing area in the camper, all except about 18" toward the front.

I think a decent solution to the stove being next to the bed would be to have a folding divider between the two. It could either fold over onto the bed, or over the stove itself ( it could also function as a cutting board and/or a heater top for the stove ).

I am also thinking about moving the spare tire outside. This will free up a good deal of space for storage, allow any spare tire size at a later date, and allow me to change a tire without having to raise the top any. I will most likely use the new space to store two folding mountain bikes or some other kind of secondary transportation.

The fresh water tank will also be moved inside the insulated camper compartment to allow it to be kept above freezing easier. The tank will be under the fridge and towards the stove side. There will be a long storage compartment from the back of the camper towards the front that runs all the way forward up under the rear seat of the dining area/couch/etc.

The departure and breakover angles will remain a good as a stock unimog. The drop down for the shower/entry is no lower than the frame. It is also going to have a slope ( down looking into the entry ) to form the shower pan and to provide a little bit more clearance in the rocker area. The fuel tank on the other side will match.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Does anyone have a blueprint for the bed mounting points on a 1300L unimog? Maybe a pdf factory manual? If I could get something like that, I could make an accurate model of the 1300L rear frame section in solidworks. Without it I'm just roughing it. I would like to make this as accurate as possible so I can get most of the parts for the camper cnc cut.

Shurik

Metcalf said:
I really want a hard side insulated camper that can handle cold areas like eastern Russia...

Are you really headed there? How much time are you planning to spend in the RFE/Siberia? I've done some trips through there and parts for Unimog are pretty much non-existant and "overnighting" stuff can take a month or more. Unimogs are amazing vehicles, but if your going to be doing a lot of travel in eastern Russia you might consider a different platform.

Just my $.02

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I am planning on a worldwide trip. So its always going to be hard to get parts somewhere. I can get the 1300L in the states for a decent price. Its not the perfect answer but it should work if the vehicle is taken care of and not abused.

Shurik

Metcalf said:
I am planning on a worldwide trip. So its always going to be hard to get parts somewhere. I can get the 1300L in the states for a decent price. Its not the perfect answer but it should work if the vehicle is taken care of and not abused.

Then you should be fine.
I was wondering if you would be doing more long term (months) exploring of that region in particular.:elkgrin:

Sounds like a blast though!

oonimog

Adventurer
U1300 Camper

Metcalf,
I'm also building a hard sided, collapsible roof camper on my U1300L37, do you want some company in Russia?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94