Hemtt/ Define America Project

asdean

Hi Everyone,
So I am new to the forums but I have a project that I am working. Basically we are working on a project to instill national pride called define America. We plan on traveling to every corner of the United States seeking out people, places, and things that define our country. From little towns to major cities we are planning to document and speak at events regarding what makes our country truly great.

To do this we are looking at getting a HEMTT that we can convert into a expedition camper. Several reason we like the HEMTT is that its military, unique, and its extremely capable. I realize that they are extremely rare in the civilian market so if there is any opportunity to get one you should take it. Recently we came upon this thread:

http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?id=3555093&tid=GLSPPS5428&cm_re=1-_-hotlots-_-row3col1

Do any of you think this would be a good deal to look into?

Thank you,
Adam

PAToyota

Adventurer
The HEMTT is definitely :drool: worthy... It's on my list if I should ever fall into unlimited funds, unlimited storage space, and unlimited time to play...

How many gallons per mile do those things get? :smiley_drive:

alaskaboy

Observer
There is currently one on the GXV website without any "improved" images yet posted. Can you imagine the fuel mileage, or lack thereof?

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
Thirsty...

We run several configurations of them here in Iraq. None of them are fuel friendly. figure between 1 (yup, single little lonley digit!) and maybe 4 MPG. Depending on the load,road, and weather.
Are they capable? Heck yeah. But...they are also maintenance intensive and hard to find a valet to park! :elkgrin:
But for anyonw remembering the 70s movie (or real early 80s?) Damnation Alley...they have always reminded me of the Landmasters...:wings:

RR1

Explorer
Global Expedition Vehicles have one in the works.

http://globalxvehicles.com/global-x-vehicles-under-construction/1984-osh-kosh-hemtt-8-x-8/

Hemtt-web3-1024x768.jpg

Hemtt-web-1024x541.jpg

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites

FAIL! What the hell is the wording "green research" doing on that thing? The millage is pathetic and everyone will laugh at them... At the end, that vehicle will only be good for promotional events and impossible (due to it's size, range and lack of service points) to take on a real trip. Making it into a very expensive short lived wasteful product.

haven

Expedition Leader
When you consider the alternatives, maybe the HEMTT is a reasonable solution for the intended use.

Let's assume that the customer for the GXV project needs living and working space for a team of 8 people. What alternative would you suggest? Several smaller vehicles? A toter-home truck and trailer?

Victorian is right about the promotional aspect of the vehicle. If you roll into town in a convoy of six land cruisers, you won't have the PR impact of the HEMTT or the German equivalent, the MAN KAT.

Action Mobil built a similar vehicle called the Desert Challenger. Here's a Quicktime Movie that shows the details of that project.
http://www.actionmobil.at/page18/page18_files/page12-1004-pop.html

Forum participant EGN has a MAN KAT 6x6 camper. See details here
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11614

haven

Expedition Leader
"green research"

Actually, these words don't appear on the project vehicle.

Let's not get distracted by discussion about which vehicles damage
the environment. They all do. There are ways to mitigate the damage,
if people want to.

bajajoaquin

Adventurer
I care about environmental issues. I really do.

But I'm prepared to put my concerns aside in this case for a very selfish reason: I think it would be so freaking cool to see that thing built!

It's useless, overkill, and a waste. I'll grant that. But if I saw it in person, I'd be insanely jealous that someone else got to have that huge toy, and not me!

Let's get a build thread!

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
Having driven one in my job, I don't know how practical it would be. regardless of what may be implied by the 4 steering wheels in the front, the turning radius is attrocious! You'll have troubles making even a left turn from one two lane road to the other (It requires you take up ALL 4 of the lanes on the roadway). Also, that comes with a 150 gal fuel tank, and an expected 350 mile range. Maintenance shouldn't be too bad as it is powered by a fairly conventional Detroit Diesel 736 cui V-8 with an Allison automatic transmission (5 speed with 2nd gear having an overdrive). The only maintenance issue I could see with the engine is the fact it has a supercharger fed by a turbocharger on the top of the engine. Get to know the guys as OshKosh heavy industries, that is their baby.

Also, remember it weighs in the neighborhood of 50,000lbs in "stock" form.

And, did I mention the ride SUCKS?!!!!!!!! The cab is tiny (almost painful if you're over 6' tall) with a huge area of the cockpit taken up by the front drive elements.

But, yes, they are cool! I'm not too sure about the GXV concept. Why would they want to build up the area over the engine compartment (right behind the cab)? One of your major maintenance access hatches is on the top of the engine compartment.

Last edited:

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
Having driven one in my job, I don't know how practical it would be. regardless of what may be implied by the 4 steering wheels in the front, the turning radius is attrocious! You'll have troubles making even a left turn from one two lane road to the other (It requires you take up ALL 4 of the lanes on the roadway). Also, that comes with a 150 gal fuel tank, and an expected 350 mile range.

*Very True!*

Maintenance shouldn't be too bad as it is powered by a fairly conventional Detroit Diesel 736 cui V-8 with an Allison automatic transmission (5 speed with 2nd gear having an overdrive). The only maintenance issue I could see with the engine is the fact it has a supercharger fed by a turbocharger on the top of the engine. Get to know the guys as OshKosh heavy industries, that is their baby.

* Also true*

Also, remember it weighs in the neighborhood of 50,000lbs in "stock" form.

And, did I mention the ride SUCKS?!!!!!!!! The cab is tiny (almost painful if you're over 6' tall) with a huge area of the cockpit taken up by the front drive elements.

*sadly the truest statement of all... :( *

Final comment via quote-
But, yes, they are cool! I'm not too sure about the GXV concept. Why would they want to build up the area over the engine compartment (right behind the cab)? One of your major maintenance access hatches is on the top of the engine compartment.
Not leaving a great deal of easily accessable area for the enigne is a HUGE Mistake!!!
They are cool trucks. I, personally would like to see a simple 4 or 6 wheel variant. only two steering wheels also.

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
I drove a LVS in the Marines a little. Just like a HEMMT except they articulate in the middle along with the front two sets of tires turning. It helped with the turning radius a little. I also went offroad with them some. Make sure you have another one in convoy with you on solid ground because it doesn't take much to get them stuck offroad due to their weight. If you are going for the WOW:Wow1: factor nothing could beat them, going for the practical then I would go for something different.

gunner

I drove up-armored HEMMT during my last deployment.They are really capable vehicles.I.recovered a MRAP stuck in mud without any problem.Although rear steering cause problems,it may fish tail in high speeds(50mph)
Fully loaded PLS(Palletised Load System) uses 7mpg.

Also,those things have no suspension,only thing helps you to absorb bumps is air suspension seats.

overlander

Expedition Leader
I think the LMTV is a much better platform, and it is so comfortable and quiet in the cab, compared to any other military truck. They are a bit high centered, and as a result, prone to rollover for agressive/inexperienced drivers, but that's driving style and training.

I have driven one of these (although it was up armored and weighed close to 100,000 pounds.) Everyday for a year during my deployment.
Powerful? heck yea!
Gas mileage suck? heck yea!
We got between 1 and 3 miles to the gallon and it didn't matter if we were recovering a truck or not. The cabin area sucks royally bad. I cannot tell you how many times I thought I broke my neck from hitting my head on the roof. (remember the passenger cabin is in FRONT if the drive train way sucky for ride quality)
Would I own one to wheel if I could? HECK YA!!!
Would I travel the country at a speed of 50 - 60 mph (we topped ours out doing 70 coming down the mountains from Turkey)? HELL NO!!!!!

Oh I forgot to mention don't try to stop the thing going anywhere near 50 in a panic it will slide out from behind you when the back 4 tires lock up it slides like butter on a hot sidewalk.

I am not even going to bring up what 1 tire cost:Wow1: or how bad it sucks to be on the side of the road trying to change the damn thing and getting it torqued correctly

But if it is your dream to do so, then carry on my friend:wings: and when you come through Utah look me up I would love to see it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94