GXV projects under construction

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Wow, I think this is even bigger than the EcoRoamer...

:)

http://globalxvehicles.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/truckdraft.swf

Hemtt-web-1024x541.jpg

michaelvanpelt

Observer
Ultimate Toy Hauler

When complete, over 1/2 of this vehicle will be a garage for toys. This is being built to haul a 4x4 Quad, a Snow Machine, a Dual Sport Motorcycle, Regular bicycles, a Kayak, Climbing Gear, 3-Surfboards, Diving Gear, Ultra Lite Aircraft and about anything a person might dream of -- all of this because it is being built for an Extreme Sports celebrity couple.

It will feature Shock Absorbers that generate electricity when in motion, Wind Generators, the latest in Solar technology, a composting toilet, Bamboo Cabinets, Recycled paper table top and recycled aluminum counters, just to name a few of the Green aspects.

RR1

Explorer
When complete, over 1/2 of this vehicle will be a garage for toys. This is being built to haul a 4x4 Quad, a Snow Machine, a Dual Sport Motorcycle, Regular bicycles, a Kayak, Climbing Gear, 3-Surfboards, Diving Gear, Ultra Lite Aircraft and about anything a person might dream of -- all of this because it is being built for an Extreme Sports celebrity couple.

It will feature Shock Absorbers that generate electricity when in motion, Wind Generators, the latest in Solar technology, a composting toilet, Bamboo Cabinets, Recycled paper table top and recycled aluminum counters, just to name a few of the Green aspects.

Sounds like the perfect vehicle for my lifestyle, except exchange that quad for a couple dirt bikes.

dzzz

Where does Mike van Pelt find these cool trucks?

Was that a rhetorical question?

The 1017A came from Colorado Unimog where I believe Rob had two.

The Oshkosh was certainly a customer choice and a non-expedition one at that. These things may require repairs every few hundred miles with huge tools and custom parts. I was told when these things were in use they didn't go anywhere without a mechanic(s). And they were so big they seldom went anywhere.

An articulated vehicle (otherwise known as a truck with a trailer) would be a far superior choice for any use other than carrying a single part like a missile. Some of the Unimog U500 available in the U.S. are set up to tow 40K lbs. That should handle a couple ATV's and a snowmobile or two.

A great many custom vehicles are made "just because". Everything made doesn't have to be for best utility. But this isn't a hot rod forum - stuff here is made to bring people places. I'm not critical of the project any more than I would be of someone building anything fun. But as a functional tool to go places it's not a practical choice.

The upside is that not going places in that beast is good for the environment.

michaelvanpelt

Observer
It's a crazy fun chassis!!!

Oshkosh has a new pulse drive system and a program that allows for upgrade to all Hemmtt's. From talking to them it is much more Enviromentally friendly. This program is the reason that you seldom see them on the market and when you do they are quite expensive for the same reason.

Oshkosh service states they are nearly bullet proof and seldom have problems so I don't know if we are getting conflicting info about needing an on board mechanic, but I spoke to them at length.

It is a little stiff or rough to drive but quite quick for a 38,000 lb vehicle, and when all improvements are in that are being looked at by the customer, it actually will be quite an Expedition Vehicle. It is even possible to add synchronized rear steering although I wouldn't go to the expense or trouble.

michaelvanpelt

Observer
They are still in use and loved

I should have said also they are still in use and the military won't release them to the public. My Brother in law a US Army colonel says they are a fantastic chassis.

howell_jd

Adventurer
HEMTT is awesome

I should have said also they are still in use and the military won't release them to the public. My Brother in law a US Army colonel says they are a fantastic chassis.

I second the remark about HEMTTs being a rugged platform.

I had two cargo HEMTTs as a company commander of a combat engineer company - with the heavy duty cargo cranes rather than light duty ones. I usually had a fueler attached as well to supply my fleet of 10 APCs, 2 LMTVs, 4 AVLBs, 7 ACEs, 2 SEEs, 5 HMMWVs, 2 5-tons, 2 Volcano dispensers, and multiple generators. I had lots of maintenance issues from a variety of equipment due to the rigorous usage - and almost all of it off-road. The HEMTTs broke like everything but not more frequently and at least as I recall were among the more robust and reliable. We used the HEMTTs to run Class IV barrier materials like concertina wire, barb wire, lumber, concrete, and other materials for construction of wire entanglements, minefields, and related combat obstacles as well as being used to run Class V ammunition for my MICLICs (minefield clearning line charge), mines, small arms ammunition...the stuff is HEAVY, bulky, and unforgiving if mishandled (obviously). I used the HEMTTs to assist in maintenance of other vehicles such as for pulling the decks from the APCs but I also used them for RECOVERY vehicles of other vehicles including the "go-anywhere" HMMWVs that could get stuck in the mud...but not the HEMTTs...and remarkably the APCs and ACEs (an armored bulldozer) - the tracks could bog down in soft soil but the HEMTT was very flexible and useful. Obviously it is a big truck...I sure liked it and hope the GXV design is used extensively as it will certainly benefit from its capabilities.

Jonathan

EuroJoe

Adventurer
wow! I am looking forward to seeing the end result of the 8x8, nice to see it being done this side of the pond

Mogwin

Wow, this rig is gonna be incredible!

I think politics aside we all have seen HEMMT's at our local Nat'l Guard armory or where have you and thought/fantasized about making an offroad rv out of them, I know I have. We did the engineering and surveying for our local armory expansion...one of my favorite job sites ever. I would wander around the lot looking at those and the Stewart-Stevenson 4x4's and 6x6's and just daydream. The S&S's had portal axles...didnt know that until I climbed underneath one.
So Mike- hats off for building something I have never seen before and always thought about. Environmental statements aside, hats off to your clients for forking over the coin to fund the project.
Edwin out

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Michael, please continue to inform us on the progress.

I believe your implementations are highly regarded by the members and are a great source of inspiration.

Last edited:

chrismc

Adventurer
There is actually a military HEMTT model that is quite a bit "greener" than most military vehicles. The Oshkosh HEMTT A3 is available as a **************' hybrid! The ProPulse Hybrid Drive is a series-hybrid technology (like Chevy Volt, not Toyota Prius) with the diesel engine powering a 335kw generator that powers hub-mounted motors. Instead of batteries, it uses ultra-capacitors for power storage. There is no torque converter, transmission, transfer case, or drive shafts to rob power from the driveline. The system provides a minimum 20% increase in fuel economy ("40% in harsh terrain"), as well as over 100kw of electricity for external uses ("enough electricity to power a city block, airfield, hospital or command center"). Additional benefits of the hybrid system are significantly quieter operation, as well as a low heat signature when running in engine-off mode (reminds me of the "Caterpillar Drive" in The Hunt for Red October).

ProPulse® Diesel-Electric Series Hybrid Powered
Cab: 2 or 3 person
Axle Configuration: 8 x 8
Curb Weight: 35,000 lbs. (15876 kg)
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR): 70,000 lbs. (31751 kg)
Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR): 103,500 lbs. (46947 kg)
Engine: 470 hp diesel • JP-8 compatible
Generator: 340 kW
Energy Storage: 1.9MJ ultra-capacitors
Drive Motors: 480 VAC induction • 1 per axle
Suspension: Oshkosh® TAK-4® • variable height independent
Tires: 395/85R20 XZL with CTIS
Axle Gearing: 2-speed with planetary wheel ends
Maximum Speed: 65 mph (105 kph)
Secondary Road Speed: 45 mph (72 kph)
Fuel Capacity: 130 gal. (492 liters)
Fording: 48 in. (1219 mm)
Maximum Grade: 60% (30º)