montero Gen 2

What can you guys tell me about the generation 2 I think it may have been called the endeavor or? . It looks to me like a competitor to the 98 -2000 landcrusiers I think it has a locker maybe ?.
so what is the size of the rear diff?.
does it have a locker? how reliable are the engines?
what size tire can i fit without outrageous mods?.
I know arb makes bullbar for them what about a rear bumper? if anyone has one can you post some pics?

Thanks

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Well, like the 100 series LC they have IFS but montero's have bigger axles than Landcruisers and the montero only comes with a rear locker. You need to know which ones to look for and i'll get to that later, the main thing is thatyou find one that has been taken care of. Unlike the LC's the Montero's aren't as hyped up so they are much cheaper, even though the Monties are a bit tougher and at least as reliable as the LC people tend to neglect them more. So figure catching up on maintenance in the price of the vehicle, and remember it's not uncommon for a montero to break 400k miles on it's original engine. Look for one with less than 130k on it, that way if it's never been maintained you're not too late. Engines to look for are the 3.5 SOHC and DOHC, the DOHC is a good bit more powerfull but you can't neglect them as much and they cost a little more to maintain. As far as lifts and tires you can run 35's with 2" lift if you trim your front bumper or go aftermarket. You can run 33x10.5's stock and 33x12.5's with some bumper trimming. I run 35x13.5's on my '99 and 35x12.5's on my '94, the later gen 2's have bigger fenders and can fit more tire. My '94 barely rubs at full flex and full turn but my '99 never rubs and it's 35's are taller and wider than the ones on my '94. You can see some pics of them on the last page of the picture thread at the top of the mitsu form. I'll post up some more on montero's later, hope this helps.

Thanks

I have always like the monteros look and neve knew much about them. I may have to sell my Jeep wrangler rubicon and I was thinking of replacing it with a montero I did some research and found the one I like is the gen 2.5 with a 3.5 dohc. I aslo found I can get an arb bumper and winch for it. Did you have t re gear to go with 35's or 33's?

off-roader

Expedition Leader
The Endeavor is a model of the Gen 2.5 Montero but I'm not sure if it covers all the gen 2.5's. It is built to compete with the Land Cruiser of the same year.

As for diff sizes...
with a 3.5L engine the rear diff is ~9.5" I don't recall the front diff size (yes it's bigger than a ford 9")
with the 3.0L engine the rear diff is ~8.5" & again I don't recall the front diff size.
Either is capable of running 35's.

Also...
I believe Gen 2 (92/93) SR's came with a rear locker but have the smaller ~8.5" rear r&p gears but I may be wrong about the locker.
Later Gen 2 SR's (94-97) came with a larger 9.5" rear r&p gears, a rear locker and 4.63:1 gearing. They're capable of running up to 35" tires without upgrading the drivetrain but it will feel a somewhat sluggish with 35's since you're looking at a 4-5" upgrade over the stock 30/31" tires. FWIW, this hasn't been much of an issue for me. If it concerns you, upgrade to Mitsu 4.90 r&p's from a Monty Sport with the 3.5L and high pinion front diff. Also with the 4.90's you can even run 37's.:Wow1:
The Gen 2.5's (98-2000) with the winter package also came with a rear locker but have the 4.2:1 r&p gears. They're fine for 33's but I'd expect you'd want to get 4. 63's or 4.90's to run 35's/37's.

HTH.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Actually the '92 & '93 montero's are just the oddball gen 2's, a lot of them are hand made so they got what ever options were in the pile at the time. SR back then only really got you leather everything else was hit and miss across the trim levels. Unlike late '93 on to '99 where if you got the SR or winter package on the '98 & '99 you got a locker. The early Gen 2's might be a base model and have a locker or it might not, same goes for the SR back then. Like a box of chocolates.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior