Nissan Juke

haven

Expedition Leader
Nissan is ready to introduce a new crossover/small SUV called the Juke. It's got unusual, out-of-the-mainstream looks and surprising performance. Prices start below $19K for front wheel drive, and about $21K for an all wheel drive version.

nissan-juke.jpg

Reviews of the Juke all start with the unusual exterior. The best description I've read so far is "Mr. Potato Head" styling (Chris Paukert, Autoblog). Even Nissan says the front looks like an alligator emerging from under the water. According to reviewers, the car does look better in person than in photos.

Personally, I think the Juke styling is partly a wacky Japanese motif, and partly a result of Nissan's long-term tie to Renault. If I squint a bit, I see styling cues from French cars like the Citroen 2CV.

The interior also is distinctive, with touches that are a bit upscale compared to other $20K subcompacts. The interior has decent room for four, and usable luggage space with only two on board.

The Juke is a small car, about the same dimensions as the Nissan Cube, Kia Soul or Suzuki SX4, with a 100 inch wheelbase. Its turbo 1.6L 4 cylinder motor produces 188 hp, which is quite a lot for a vehicle with a weight of about 3000 lbs. For comparison, the turbo Mini Cooper S produces 172 hp. and weighs 2800 lbs. with front wheel drive.

More important, the Juke's motor produces 177 ft-lbs of torque starting as low as 2000 rpm. This makes for noticeable torque steer in the front wheel drive car. The AWD version does a better job of putting the power to the pavement. The AWD model has a more sophisticated independent rear suspension, and electronically controlled diffs that send torque to the wheels that have traction. The AWD also includes yaw control to reduce understeer, like Nissan's GT-R sport coupe.

The AWD works. All the reviews I've read of the Juke speak in glowing terms about the handling. The Juke is maneuverable and fun to drive fast. The brakes are disc at all four wheels.

The Juke is not for everyone, and that's part of its appeal, particularly to young drivers bored with the slicked smooth styling of so many of today's cars, and the undistinguished boxy looks of small SUVs.

I'm looking forward to driving one when they arrive in Nissan dealers this October.

The Juke home page http://www.nissanusa.com/juke/

Reviews:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/08/26/2011-nissan-juke-first-drive-review-road-test

http://www.insideline.com/nissan/juke/2011/2011-nissan-juke-full-test-and-video.html

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/driven/1005_2011_nissan_juke/index.html

haven

Expedition Leader
Yes, the clever jokes about Nissan Puke or Nissan Joke have been made already. Think outside the box.

The Juke could be a great car for driving fast on dirt and gravel roads, and in wet or snowy conditions. The Juke has more power and better fuel economy than a Subaru Impreza.

jpvm

Explorer
Being a die hard Nissan fan and a Patrol driver all these new Nissans , call it Quashquai, Versa, Juke , Xtrail, Puke :sombrero: , etc. are just urban AWD rides ... I can't imagine myself choosing something like this for an Expedition ride (expedition to the supermarket maybe) ,and if needed, to go skiing , carrying my boards to tha coast, or all aorund use , a Subaru Outback is better suited and looks less cartoonlike. :smiley_drive:

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
it will be interesting to see if these pop up in the rally world as they might do well

FreeManDan

Adventurer
It's cheeper than a nissan murano, but more car like then a murano. I have no doubt it has a great engine, but I don't see it as an applicable vehicle to my needs. If it had bigger tires I bet I could get over the looks, it would knina remind me of the isuzu vehicross, a vehicle truly ahead of it's time...sad the isuzu vehicross was born into a world not ready for it, plus it was only a 2 door, but I digress.

haven

Expedition Leader
The Nissan Rogue is a more conventional small SUV with AWD for about the same money, but it's less powerful, heavier and lacks the Juke's torque vectoring differentials. ditto the subaru forester.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Speaking of Nissan:

Am I the only one who is mystified that Nissan hasn't brought the X-Trail to the US? Seems to me it would do very well here and be a worthy competitor for the CUV market. Looks very much like a Subaru Forester and seems to have lots of interior room. I saw them in Mexico in 2007 and in Canada just last month. If they can import them to Canada, why not the US?

For those who don't know, here's the X-Trail:

nissan-x-trail-753899.jpg

I, for one, really like the angular styling, much better than the more rounded, car-like looks of the Murano and Rogue.

The Juke looks like it's just a cross between the Roge and the Versa. Haven: It does have a bit of a Citroen DS/2CV look to it!

Last edited:

FreeManDan

Adventurer
X trail? now you've gone and done it, brought back the old memory of my brothers stanza wagon in 4wd! http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/curbside-class-nissan-stanza-wagon/ The one he had had more lift then the interweb pics, to bad I don't have pics. It had an extremly aggresive limited slip rear, it even limited the turning radius when 4wd was activated. I once drove it through some slick mud trails made by quads, it could wheel! But that x trail looks like a cross between the pathfinder and the 4wd stanza wagon, IMO.
Wikipedia lists the juke as the x trail successor, and the engine in the xtrail you'll never get is a 2.0L 280 hp turbo SR20VET (Japan only)...also listed in wikipedia.

I was hoping for an Xtrail in the US too. I saw one here recently with Sonora plates. Good size and oh how sweet a diesel would be. I think I have decided to keep my Forester duct taped together until some manufacturer comes to there senses. Nissan must have bumped their collective heads.

nfpgasmask

Adventurer
I saw one the other day on the road. I am surprised to say, I actually thought it looked pretty cool. Definitely better in person than in photos.

IMO, it still fall short. If it doesn't have a low-range transfer case (does it?) that I just don't know. I'm still waiting for someone to make something on par with my VehiCROSS, but I just don't see it happening, at least not hear in the US. The VX is still the coolest, best performing "crossover" to date.

Bart

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles