out with the old in with the new

westyss

Explorer
Hey Westyss, we left from BC to Quebec a few days ago, just crossed to Alberta... Would be great to meet on the road! Happy travel!

David

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Hey Mr D, how are ya? I will shoot you my cell # on a pmail.

westyss

Explorer
35373709640_07f3083f8e_b.jpg

Packing up getting ready for my next trip- from BC to Montreal for two months. Also calculated the kilometers that we drove on our last Mexico trip, 6 months and 18,977km's! That surprised me!
Prior to the trip I had two new Toyo's mounted on the rears and I have just had two more new ones mounted on the front, what caught my attention was how much the rears have worn compared to the new ones to the point that I thought it was the tires wearing faster than my Michelins which they do. It appears that they will only make it 40-50,000km's on these tires as opposed to the 70-80,000 from the Michelins. I really didnt check mileage on the trip and now I see that the tires are not wearing fast but that my mileage was much more than estimated.

Also finally got to putting some aluminum corners on the camper, only 7 years after so thats not bad huh? Thats right! May of this year was the 7 year birthday of my truck/camper! Man time flies!

34857552014_5360b75133_b.jpg

westyss

Explorer
35567840001_d0335c1e39_b.jpg
[/url]

Well this is what a pulled stud might look like! Usually the stud is flush with the outer surface of the lug nuts.

Had two new tires put on and as most on this forum know that I am a bit crazy about watching these tire guys like a hawk and I will not go to a place that will not let me into the work area. So when I went to the tire place and was watching the dude get the passenger front wheel off with no issues I became a little complacent and was talking to the manager when I heard the rattle gun going a little longer than normal and went running over to stop him but too late! The stud was pulled out around 1/4"!
The dude did not notice reverse threads!! So now not only do I have to watch them when the remount the wheels but also when the take them off. Remember that every tire place I have been to want to power the wheels on with 4-500ft/pds torque where the manual states around 350.

So what was supposed to be a half hour job turned into a six hour wait as the tire shop hired a very capable company to fix the stud.
To remove the big wheel nut they whipped up this tool...
34886609933_7897e3c508_b.jpg

and gave it to me for the future along with the tire shop giving me the tires at cost and also gave me a large tire iron that I was searching for and typically go for $85 so it wasnt a total loss.

givemethewillys

Jonathan Chouinard
Wow, as much of a pain as that situation was, it's sounds like the company bent over backwards to make it right! You don't see that too often.

westyss

Explorer
Yup for sure, they made it right and only cost me my time so I would go back, cant blame people for making a mistake even though he was a bit of a rookie but overall I am over it..

givemethewillys

Jonathan Chouinard
Haha everyone is a rookie at one point! You should have seen the left handed studs on my 1957 willys the first time I tried to take the wheels off! You only do that once though :)

HowardH

Adventurer
Thanks for sharing. The pic of the camper and your wife in the chair with feed on the old phone pole. Where is that taken?

ebbs

Observer
AWESOME! found your thread yesterday and wandered through it. Saved it for future reference! I've got about another year in the military before I'm medically retired, I think a Fuso FG is going to be my "retirement" gift to myself. I'll be headed back to school for nursing so probably won't have much time to work on it for a few years, so that gift might be delayed a little. I really like your setup! I'm currently in Denver, but will be moving back to Bend OR if you pass through either, let me know, I'd love to buy ya a burger and beer and twist your ear!
-Brandon

guidolyons

Addicted to Gear Oil
Awesome. Great to see the truck in the wild, doing what it was built to do. Great pics, too. :sombrero: :cool:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne