Coleman Stove Issue

Super Doody

Explorer
I have a green coleman propane stove model 5435 with electronic ignition . The burner closest to the regulator doesn't seem to be getting enough fuel beacuse 1. its burning yellow and 2. it doesn't light with electronic ignition but lights with a match.

I thought easy, I just need a new valve assembly (part 6 of the pdf diagram here: http://www.coleman.com/coleman/images/pdf/5435D.pdf ). But just for giggles, I put the left working Burner Assembly pipe (just the pipe) (see part 1) onto the right burner and it worked perfectly fine with plenty of fuel and pressure. So the issue can not be the valve assembly. The burner pipe of the burner assembly basically a brass pipe. I examined it to make sure it was not clogged or leak and its still not getting enough fuel.

Any input would be great...Thanks!!

BTW: I know its just a stupid stove but I'm sort of attached to it because it reminds of my boy scout days and they don't make this model anymore.

gasman

Adventurer
well normally when the flame is burning yellow it is a lack of oxygen, ya gots a bad mixture, look in the orifice of the burne,r if you can take it out even better, and look for spiders or a nest , spiders love the smell of mercapitin and will crawl into the smallest of openings, also check the burner head itself, for the same, one thing i used to get all the time was the little old ladies cleaning the stove with those soapy scrubbing pads and that would clog them up, those are the things i would look at first, and is usually the answer be carful cleaning the orifice use a fine wire and be careful not to enlarge the whole , you should be good you would be surprised how little debris or whatever it takes to clog them up

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
Yep, I was gonna say the same thing. Blow it out with some air and see if the spiders built a home in the tube.

DontPanic42

Adventurer
I had the same thing happen with a Camp Chef stove at hunting camp. Took it apart and found a wad of spider web that I didn't get out before I left. Cleaned it out with a cleaning brush for a rifle. Now I carry a pocket pistol cleaning kit with several sizes of brushes and an assortment of stiff wires for the small holes. The cleaning kit stays with the stove.

o0synge0o

Adventurer
+1 Alot of the time it just takes a quick hit with the air-compressor, and maybe a stiff wire to clean out anything stubborn that's still left.

gasman

Adventurer
i was working on a 8yr old high efficiency furnace in the spring ,,the customer complaint was it never shuts off and there aint enough heat,, after a few minutes i knew right away it was a gas pressure problem,, i had tons of press. at the gas meter, the gas stove and water heater were fine , but the furnace press. would drop every time it lit,, first thing i check the burners , and manifold orifices are clean as well , now im startin to think its the gas valve screwin up , check inlet and outlet pressure on the gas valve,, scratch head now !!! ****** !!! so i start stipping back the gas line,, the little bugger had to have been in the manifold and then crawled thru the main gas valve while the furnace was lit,, and decided to make her nest 15 feet down the gas line, away from the furnace,, the web looked like a very very thin layer of tissue paper blocking the gas line , so thin you could see thru it, and would allow just eneough gas thru to maintain a smal flame at the burners,, I HATE FRIGGIN SPIDERS !!. spiders are not covered under warranty by the way,

Super Doody

Explorer
well normally when the flame is burning yellow it is a lack of oxygen, ya gots a bad mixture, look in the orifice of the burne,r if you can take it out even better, and look for spiders or a nest , spiders love the smell of mercapitin and will crawl into the smallest of openings, also check the burner head itself, for the same, one thing i used to get all the time was the little old ladies cleaning the stove with those soapy scrubbing pads and that would clog them up, those are the things i would look at first, and is usually the answer be carful cleaning the orifice use a fine wire and be careful not to enlarge the whole , you should be good you would be surprised how little debris or whatever it takes to clog them up

I stuck a wire coat hanger in there and guess what? A spider web/nest came out!!!:elkgrin: Thank you so much for your help. Its now burning bright blue. Before I acutally taped on the piece and blew on it but nothing came out. I took apart that thing like 4 times. Thanks for your suggestion!!

gasman

Adventurer
I stuck a wire coat hanger in there and guess what? A spider web/nest came out!!!:elkgrin: Thank you so much for your help. Its now burning bright blue. Before I acutally taped on the piece and blew on it but nothing came out. I took apart that thing like 4 times. Thanks for your suggestion!!

excellent !! glad it worked for you,, that will be 99 dollars for the service call and lets say a half hour labour,, :victory: did i say i hate spiders, they do make money though

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz