Largest spare to fit under vehicle?

246_ft_lbs

Hi,
I have a 2003 Xterra and was wondering what would be the largest spare I can fit under the X? I currently run 285/70/17 and my spare is the stock 265/65/17. I will check when I do my next rotation, but was wondering if anyone already knows this.
Thanks.

Lewers

We have a 33x10.5x15 bfg a/t underneath the back of our '04 X at the moment. It fits but it is close to the muffler and opposite shackle so any larger definitely wouldn't fit...

Doing a size conversion on your 285/70/17 it shows around 32.7 so it's about the same size... so it'll be a very close fit...

IggyB

Adventurer
If you have a trailer hitch you're prety much llimited to stock size or about 1/2" taller

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
You know, if you mount a bumper with a tire rack on the back, that would obviously solve a lot. Then you can cut out the spare tire space and fill it with a compartment.

I have a WJ and have seen many people take out the internal tire space and move their fuel tank up into the area the tire used to be. Perhaps you could make a compartment for storage in your tire space...

:D

RonapRhys

Adventurer
You know, if you mount a bumper with a tire rack on the back, that would obviously solve a lot. Then you can cut out the spare tire space and fill it with a compartment.

I have a WJ and have seen many people take out the internal tire space and move their fuel tank up into the area the tire used to be. Perhaps you could make a compartment for storage in your tire space...

:D

This is actually done with some level of frequency. Shrock, KMA, and others (Maxterra - guy on the forum here, IIRC) make rear tire carrier bumpers. Several folks have installed them and then put a variety of things in that compartment ranging from electronics to OBA, batteries, etc. Sometimes they cut the thing out and fab a deeper box, sometimes not.

If nothing else it makes it easier to get your tire if you have a problem on the trail.

drbandkgb

Xterra Junky
a 2004 Xterra tire mounts on the bottom... so your not going to store anything there unless you fab and weld a box to the bottom :D

IggyB

Adventurer
Hey Iggy! :wings:

You still dragging that military trailer around offroad?

Yes sir, I still drag it around. Have the Engel 60 mounted in the back, battery on the tongue and lots of junk in between:victory:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior