RoadTraveler.net is launched by Redline

I will likely continue to run and measure wear on the ST MAXX, I much prefer that type of tread over a mudder or A/T.

I just finished my run on a set of 35” STT Pro max coopers and initially I was really happy. Once I got to half life the noise literally got unbearable and decided to switch out at 40k miles. Mileage went down as well. At slow speeds it was like driving my side by side with the mudder paddle type tires. Never noticed it in my ram 2500 crew cab diesel that was lifted and wore the stt bare, but in the Jeep they got really bad. Could not hold a conversation inside with a hard top.
4542cbe3f9620d3f34a81f9c6c28e5bf.jpg

7b3b3f1ef22055bf3ee4a855bd0d1577.jpg

I am now running 37” nitto ridge grapplers and they are the quietest tire I have run and that includes AT’s. They are so quiet that now I have gone on a “quiet Jeep” quest and have gone as far as to Dynamat the interior.
332b132e76374bc460d931227330e49f.jpg

47d10c7e3c4aebfeefec7907893197ff.jpg

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I just finished my run on a set of 35” STT Pro max coopers and initially I was really happy. Once I got to half life the noise literally got unbearable and decided to switch out at 40k miles. Mileage went down as well. At slow speeds it was like driving my side by side with the mudder paddle type tires. Never noticed it in my ram 2500 crew cab diesel that was lifted and wore the stt bare, but in the Jeep they got really bad. Could not hold a conversation inside with a hard top.

I am now running 37” nitto ridge grapplers and they are the quietest tire I have run and that includes AT’s. They are so quiet that now I have gone on a “quiet Jeep” quest and have gone as far as to Dynamat the interior.

Nice.

I really prefer a hybrid tire like the Nitto Ridge Grappler (Cooper ST MAXX, ******** Cepek Fun Country, etc). Good traction and wear with less noise.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
New Ram bumpers at 2017 SEMA Show

TDR99_17SEMA020 copy.jpg

New post (mostly) about rear and front bumpers for late model Ram trucks.

http://roadtraveler.net/new-ram-bumpers-from-aev-expedition-one-and-warn/

This might finally be the year I focus on my blog. Been giving Instagram much attention for 1.5 years, but the website needs some of that love.

I have several drafts ready to publish in the weeks ahead, initially about stuff from the 2017 SEMA Show, but also much tech, truck buildup, custom flatbed truck camper, and other stuff.

Plus much more in-the-hopper.

Email subscribe if you like, I probably won't be posting here every time I publish there.

Cheers,

James

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
A couple recent posts include mounting my new custom/prototype Hallmark flatbed popup camper (more to come and/or see my IG feed), and I just published a short video about the first rotation of Toyo’s Open Country R/T in the LT285/75R18 size.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
******** Cepek Tires Fun Country: A detailed review with a historical perspective introduction, both of which you're unlikely to find elsewhere, was just published on my website. It is worth your time.

http://roadtraveler.net/********-cepek-fun-country-tire-review/

TDR100_305Cepek008.JPG

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
http://roadtraveler.net/cooper-discoverer-s-t-maxx-285-75r16-tread-wear/

There's a video too.

--------

Cooper Tires' Discoverer S/T MAXX has been my favorite commercial traction/hybrid tread design since its introduction. I have experimented with four sizes on four different truck platforms, and suggested them to many friends and acquaintances. Two of my four-wheel-drives are still running the S/T MAXX, including the built, 2006 V-8 Toyota 4Runner with 4.88:1 gears in this video.
After a whopping 7,436 miles before the first rotation, mostly road miles, these LT285/75R16 Discoverer S/T MAXX are wearing impressively well and evenly. From their original, generous depth of 18.5/32", the fronts are down to 16/32", and the rears 16.5/32", 2.5 and 2/32" respectively. That's an average of 3,300 miles per 1/32" of tread, and excellent wear from a fairly aggressive, moderate-void tire on a full-time four-wheel-drive car. They were rotated using the rearward cross pattern.
Copyright James Langan/RoadTraveler
All Rights Reserved.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles