4 wheel light on gen 2.5

I am looking at pulling the trigger on a Montero it is a 2000 gen 2.5 has 98000 on the odo. I noticed when I started that the front wheel indicator for the the 4 wheel drive mode stays on . Does anyone know if this is because it is stuck in 4 wheel drive. The shift says 2 hi. Also it has seat heater does this mean it has the winter package and the rear locker . I could find no switch that has indicates if it has a locker like the are found on the landcrusiers?

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Shift it back and forth a few times, when 4wd hasn't been used ever the little switches for the lights get stuck and can be fixed by using 4wd more often. I can't say this is your problem for sure but it's really common. 2000 was the last year for the Gen 2 and it didn't come with a locker, but if the price is right it would be worth getting still considering the low mileage. A complete locking rear axle from the salvage yard is usually less than 300 for everything (trailing arms, pump and panhard rod) plus you could find one with 4.63's easily and all you'll need is the matching front and you'll be pretty well set for some serious 4 wheeling.

speedtre

Explorer
I went a looked at a 1996 SR today to possibly buy, but it had an issue with the 4 wheel light system as well. When you first turn it on the rear two wheels are lit up and the front left wheel was blinking. When I shifted it from 2H to 4H the 4H the let front wheel light went to solid but the right front wheel never lit up. I confirmed that 4wd was engaged (just made a u-turn and you could feel it binding up front). I shifted again up to the 4H with he center differential locked and again to 4L, and both times the rear and left front wheel lights were solid, but the right front wheel was not lit. I shifted back down to 2H and again the rear lights were lit and the left front was blinking and the right front was off. NO matter what I did the left front wheel light was always blinking in 2H and the right front wheel light would not come on ever.

Any ideas what this means?

The Stray

To get it out of 4H you have to shift into reverse and back up, gaining a little momentum (around 5 mph), then shift it to neutral and pop the 4wd stick to 2H, it should disengage within a few seconds.
The problem is from people who don't use the four wheel drive system for a long time and it starts to stick. I had the same problem, it would only disengage properly 1 in 10 times. The fix is simple. Just engage and disengage 4 high via the method above a few times and then a few after that. I went from 1 in 10 proper disengages to 1 in 10 non-disengages after 1 and a half hours of cycling the 4wd system. Also the central locker (4HLc) will have the same problem, the fix is the same.
If cycling it for an hour or two doesn't fix it I have heard that cleaning and relubing the transfer case can clear it up.

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
I went a looked at a 1996 SR today to possibly buy, but it had an issue with the 4 wheel light system as well. When you first turn it on the rear two wheels are lit up and the front left wheel was blinking. When I shifted it from 2H to 4H the 4H the let front wheel light went to solid but the right front wheel never lit up. I confirmed that 4wd was engaged (just made a u-turn and you could feel it binding up front). I shifted again up to the 4H with he center differential locked and again to 4L, and both times the rear and left front wheel lights were solid, but the right front wheel was not lit. I shifted back down to 2H and again the rear lights were lit and the left front was blinking and the right front was off. NO matter what I did the left front wheel light was always blinking in 2H and the right front wheel light would not come on ever.

Any ideas what this means?

If it was a nice truck, it would be a shame not to get it because a simple dash lamp has failed. I replaced those very lamps with LED's and suddenly find that the lights now do as the owner's manual says! The center diff light I left OEM as the LED didn't light it up sufficiently...it requires illumination from the side. It's a five-minute job once you discover the secret of removing the instrument cluster.

Sounds like the 4WD system is actually working! I wish mine had been when I bought it.

justinhw

Adventurer
To get it out of 4H you have to shift into reverse and back up, gaining a little momentum (around 5 mph), then shift it to neutral and pop the 4wd stick to 2H, it should disengage within a few seconds.

This is to disengage the autohubs that can stick "engaged" correct? We have to do that for my buddy's 1st gen montero too; although he can stay in 2wd - the problem isn't the transfercase disengaging, it's the hubs. Just back up a few feet and go forward a couple times.

speedtre

Explorer
Thanks for the info guys. It's a high-mileage unit, but the price is not not to bad and the miles on the engine don't worry me all that much as the project I'm thinking about would not involve the current engine....see my next thread. :)

scrubber3

Not really here
may be your answer

There is a vacuum solenoid that you need to replace. It is called the 4wd shift solenoid and it is located under the hood, on the top of the right side fender well. I don't remember the part number but I do remember having the same issue with mine. I even have it posted somewhere on the boards. I will try to find it and post it up top. They very commonly go bad.

78Bronco

Explorer
I put manual aisin hubs on my gen2 and it works great with the t-case and those flashing lights are no longer annoying me.:)

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I put manual aisin hubs on my gen2 and it works great with the t-case and those flashing lights are no longer annoying me.:)

IIRC Gen II's should have the central axle disconnect (CAD) which means the front axles are always turning. I believe the sensor that triggers the lights is connected to the cad system and not the hubs. That said the manual hubs would then have little to do with the light turning off.

78Bronco

Explorer
IIRC Gen II's should have the central axle disconnect (CAD) which means the front axles are always turning. I believe the sensor that triggers the lights is connected to the cad system and not the hubs. That said the manual hubs would then have little to do with the light turning off.

No from my experience thus far the four wheel lights blink less and turn solid on and off WAY faster with the manual hubs.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
No from my experience thus far the four wheel lights blink less and turn solid on and off WAY faster with the manual hubs.

Probably because you've been using the 4WD. The switches for 4wd and 2wd indicator are in the transfer case. Check the Factory Service Manual. Let me know if you don't know where to download a pdf copy...

78Bronco

Explorer
Of course I use 4wd. I use it once per month to make sure everything is lubricated and operational. The rest of the time I am in 2hi with front hubs free wheeling. My junk is working fine and I have all the engrish manuals.:elkgrin:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior