Global Expedition Vehicles - UXV-500

OTR

Adventurer
I also agree that the layout is nice. I don't understand why they don't do an extended cab-over for a north/south facing bed. This would also provide extra storage under the bed and beside the bed or offer a king size bed option. I curious what the water storage tanks and other capacities will be.

I think that the price is a little high when compared to their other models. A Unimog U500 can be had for $349,000 or less with some negotiation or the survival camper is around $120,000. So it basically cost $55,000 for the truck and that leaves $154,000-$230,000 for the camper portion and installation. I know a lot of engineering goes into these and it's not like these things are made in mass production like a normal class-c motorhome. But........$280,000 is some serious coin and it's still a Ford, Chevy, or Dodge truck.

So the price difference between the U500 version and F550 is ~$70K, about the difference in the chassis. The campers seem comparable, except the cabover is more complicated due to size and shape constraints.
Re the price of the camper: Yes, it is not a mass produced class C. It is not even in the same universe! The same applies to Unicats, Actionmobils, etc.

Charlie

dzzz

The layout can't be to scale, but still looks horrible to me. Way too much circulation space in small camper.
To me that looks like something a potential customer with no design experience or sense of scale would draw.

ER layout
floor_plan.jpg

Last edited:

dzzz

I think that the price is a little high when compared to their other models. A Unimog U500 can be had for $349,000 or less with some negotiation or the survival camper is around $120,000. So it basically cost $55,000 for the truck and that leaves $154,000-$230,000 for the camper portion and installation. I know a lot of engineering goes into these and it's not like these things are made in mass production like a normal class-c motorhome. But........$280,000 is some serious coin and it's still a Ford, Chevy, or Dodge truck.

The F550 ready for the camper is closer to $100K.

michaelvanpelt

Observer
The GXV layout is a rendering for better viewing on the internet. It's not to scale.

This is an 84 inch cab-to-axle wheelbase, same as the ER stretch, and this has a larger body allowing for much more comfort and room to move around.

The storage is awesome and abundant. The kitchen is twice (almost 3 times) the size of an ER. The bathroom is 3 times the ER size. And if you want a larger bed area, it's easy for us to turn the bed 90 degrees.

It is designed to go on a Single or Extended or Crew Cab Chassis, and it is totally customizable. If a customer wants a different layout it is no problem.

Global Expedition Vehicles is a Expedition Vehicle builder similar to our European competitors and not locked into a molded fiberglass body style/layout. Therefore, we have the flexibility to give our customers what they want.

Maddmatt

Explorer
Wow - setting up a profile just to warn us all? Thanks so much for the effort. In an effort to give equal time - I've done business with Mike and Renee and found them to be the sort who go out of their way to do things right - can't speak to your experience, but that's mine.

JKDetonator

Adventurer
Yea...

gxver sounds like a disgruntled former employee... In all of my dealings with the Van Pelts, they are courteous, forthright, upstanding folks. I wouldn't let a newbie worry me about ANY dealing with this company. They've already posted that they've moved to a bigger location with more room to service our needs. And they've posted their new location and numbers also; so I see no need in the gxver posts other than to expose his "shortcomings"! Have a nice day! :smiley_drive:

teamtrailrunner

Sounds like GVXER is grumpy. It also appears that he literally JUST JOINED EXPEDITION PORTAL TODAY to spew hate. So he/she are not in th ecommunity. His/Her only posts are hate filled. Too bad. Have only had great dealings with Mike and Rene Van Pelt. I would hope the moderators would end the hate. Just my 2 cents.

chrismc

Adventurer
Troll quote removed

I don't see why a company such as theirs would need a storefront. Its not like they're a retail operation. I don't blame them one bit for not posting their address. I wouldn't want people just "dropping by" whenever they're in the neighborhood. GXV's website has very clear contact information posted. If you're a serious customer and want to visit, give them a call or email them and I'm sure they'll be happy to have you.

If you have something constructive to contribute to this thread about GXV's newest model, it will be appreciated. Please take your trolling elsewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:

dzzz

I missed the post. But ER showed the downside of getting too retail with a custom, low volume product. ER probably did sell one or two more vehicles with a car dealer type setup, but we saw what happened when the economy turned.

As far as the UXV-500, since it's customizable I would prefer a more traditional unicat-like interior:

4980755012_a37bca1c8c.jpg

The cab is entered under the bed, the table in the rear is probably elevated to allow a "cut" to improve angle of approach. The stove could slide aft and the door moved forward if necessary.

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
I like that layout.
What if that layout were compressed to a size suitable to a lighter duty vehicle and possibly set-up without a cab-over ?
I have looked at the GXV "Survival Basics Off-Road Expedition Camper" and wonder if it could be scaled down fit to something less than a big Unimog or F-550, etc. Although, I kind of like the idea of that box on an F-550 style chassis, too. (I would want to fit a Cummins, also, to get back to an all mechanical injection pump...) It would be great to have something like those, but they are just too big for us. Really don't want a cab-over, either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles