Global Expedition Vehicles - UXV-500

Blackeye

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0008
I heard from GXV that their current plan is for the Global Expedition Vehicles UXV-550 to be at the 2011 Overland Expo. The caveat was that it might be sold by the Expo.

I am planning a trip to GXV in a couple of weeks and maybe I can get some current photos when I am there.

trailsurfer

Explorer
I heard from GXV that their current plan is for the Global Expedition Vehicles UXV-550 to be at the 2011 Overland Expo. The caveat was that it might be sold by the Expo.

I am planning a trip to GXV in a couple of weeks and maybe I can get some current photos when I am there.

The question is, are you coming to Expo????

Blackeye

The question is, are you coming to Expo????

I am signed up...how could I miss OXIII?

Well, there is at least one situation that might preclude my attendance. We have been invited to the International Truck assembly plant to watch our truck get built. The exact date has yet to be determined.

Looking forward to seeing you in Amado.

haven

Expedition Leader
GXV should consider the trick that Gary Wescott used in the design of the Turtle V:
A short angled roof to join the sides to the top.
This reduces the visual impact of the vehicle considerably. Here's the Turtle V

turtle-v.jpg

And here's the UXV-550

GXV-550.jpg

The Turtle V looks compact, but it's only a foot or so shorter than the UXV-550.

alaskaboy

Observer
Took the wifey to the GXV facilities last week and the UVX 550 looks pretty awesome. Very,very nicely done interior. A big step up from an Earthroamer in terms of the "perceived" spaciousness. You should take the time to see it at expo as it will disappoint you not! :Wow1:

Blackeye

I just spent some time at GXV today discussing our build. While I was there, I grabbed a couple of photos of the UXV-550. First of all, I have to say that this rig is impressive…more so in person than in photos. The scale of the truck and the camper are really nice. The interior is super spacious. The rear bathroom is unlike anything I have ever seen. It is literally a walk-in bathroom with tons of room and storage for the days. The living area is extremely comfortable and well laid out.

I used a fisheye lens to capture as much of the interior as I could so some of the images will look a little distorted.

1192399098_od6kA-XL.jpg

Front corner showing the wheels, tires and custom fender flares.

1192400091_aoGZt-XL.jpg

Living area looking from the door of the bathroom toward the front (sorry about the clarity).

1192399269_atr7F-XL.jpg

Kitchen area.

1192401458_w8NV3-XL.jpg

Bathroom with the shower area on the left and the window looking out the rear of the rig.

1192402019_wnZsq-L.jpg

View from the back seat of the F-550 through the cab-to-cabin access.

Blackeye

Here are some more photos...

1193459487_otpKp-XL.jpg

1193461576_zLMPn-XL.jpg

In this image, you can see some driveshaft components on the floor. They are in the process of installing an additional fuel tank (custom aluminum) that fits between the frame rails.

1193461703_hjEJF-XL.jpg

This image shows the rear rack system that is currently designated for bicycles, but it is capable of lifting a motorcycle.

1193460410_BAuJr-XL.jpg

and one of the sweet light bar.

I am really impressed with the quality and the care that GXV puts into each of their rigs. Unfortunately, our rig is not in production just yet. The panels are in and are due to be assembled next week. My visit is to go over the myriad of details that each rig requires. I hope to post some "in-process" images of our rig soon.

I see on the Global Expedition website that the UVX-550 comes in two different lengths and three different width configurations (90”, 96”, 100”). Does anybody know what length and width configuration this one is? Are the differences in length determined by the size of the truck cab? Just wondering

Blackeye

I see on the Global Expedition website that the UVX-550 comes in two different lengths and three different width configurations (90”, 96”, 100”). Does anybody know what length and width configuration this one is? Are the differences in length determined by the size of the truck cab? Just wondering

I'll check when I am there today.

michaelvanpelt

Observer

The unit shown is an S-84 body

The 84 signifies 84 inches back of cab to center of rear axle, S-60 for 60 inch and so on

This allows for use on the single, extended and crew cab variations and can be built with square corner or radius corner profiles for different looks

S is for the body width

S for SuperBody, which is 100 in wide
N for NormalBody 96 in wide
C for CompactBody 90 in wide

Blackeye

I got back from my trip to Global Expedition Vehicles and was looking over the photos of the bathroom. I thought that they forgot to install a mirror in the bathroom. Can you see it in this photo?

1192401458_w8NV3-XL.jpg

I couldn't until I talked to them. They told me that it slides out from the upper cabinet on the right side of the sink. Pretty trick. Sorry that I didn't get an image of that. Maybe GXV can post one up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior