Global Expedition Vehicles - UXV-500

trickshot

Just found this on the Global Expedition Vehicles home page.

UXV-550.jpg

Built on the 2011 Ford 550 chassis

From Global Expedition Vehicles

Find Travel, Adventure, Recreation and Survival with our new
ULTIMATE 4wd self-contained Luxury Expedition Vehicle from GXV

Ultra rugged Ford F-550 Lariat chassis (loaded/leather), 6.7 liter Power Stroke Turbo Diesel. 84 inch cab to axle and GVWR of 19,500 with fully adjustable air ride suspension. Bilsteen off road shocks. Front and rear winches. Michelin 335 80R 20 tires with run flat inserts. Two spare tires with powered lifts.

GXV uses the most technologically advanced body construction in the industry. GXV's proprietary Structural Composite Sandwich Panels are of the same technology that is used in the European bus, trucking, and high-speed train industry, and this engineering expertise and technology is only available from Europe. True Expedition Vehicles require this type of strength coupled with lighter weight. That is why we chose to use the proprietary SCS panels over the heavier, lower strength wood stud fiberglass camper bodies used in the domestic RV industry. Our “SCS” panels have no thermal conduction paths. They also provide R-20 insulation and hold up to the extremes where other bodies fall short. Our Exclusive Armor Vision™ Extreme thermal, multi-pane glass windows won't scratch, fade, or discolor. GXV's Exclusive Natura™ opening wall is also featured in our side dining area. The Natura opening wall invites the outside in for romantic dinners or for the enjoyment of panoramic views.

The UXV-550 cab-over body features a large bedroom area with a luxurious queen-size bed and generous storage areas. The UXV-550 has room to travel with up to 4 or 6 people. The interior boasts a 15,000 BTU air conditioner; 3000 watt inverter, 13,300 BTU diesel cabin heater, diesel stove, and a programmable 28,000 BTU diesel boiler heating the domestic hot water, as well as the engine for the truck and generator to make sub-zero cold starts a snap. The cabin layout offers full-width rear bathroom/dressing room with granite counter.

The Exterior of our new UXV-550 body design has tapered radius wall lines which enhances its rugged good looks. Our bold look turns heads! How about 120 gallons of on board diesel? Wave to the fuel stations as you drive past them. Other features include a Fischer Panda AGT-4000 marine generator, fresh water capacity of 100 gallons or more, oversized hot water system, along with huge battery and solar capacity.

Our New UXV-550 is built with same uncompromising quality found in all GXV Vehicles.​

Last edited:

haven

Expedition Leader
Welcome, trickshot! You made a great contribution with your first post.

The UXV500 is described on the web site home page.
http://globalxvehicles.com/

GXV has more experience building overland campers on different large 4x4
truck chassis than anyone in North America. They've built on the Unimog U500,
the Freightliner M2, the International 7400, and the Mercedes 1017.
So I have confidence that they won't have any difficulty modifying their
designs to fit the Ford F550.

It will be interesting to learn the price of the base UXV500. The F550
cab/chassis is cheaper than the used U500 chassis, but not by a large
amount.

EMrider

Explorer
Oh boy, I've been waiting for more detailed info on this vehicle. I knew it was in production and that GXV would be updating their website soon.

The F-550 platform is very appealing to me because of its size, ease of maintenance and the new 6.7psd motor. As much as I'd like a Mog or Freightliner, I can't justify the cost/complexity given how and how often I'll be using the vehicle.

This could be very bad news for my checkbook..........:drool:

R

DzlToy

Explorer
If I were a gambling man, I would bet that truck is going to leave someone stranded with a quickness. Ford diesel trucks have been some of the most unreliable pieces of garbage on the continent for the last 15 years. I realise the contract with International is no longer, but I would think three or four times about dumping that kind of money into the first year of a completely untested engine and transmission, especially when they have already proven to be as "reliable" as the previous generation.

Without opening a can of worms, two good friends have been to the dealer in excess of 60 TIMES (between the two of them) within the last 4 years with their Super Duty's. Their problems included several turbos being replaced, 8 or 9 sets of heads, an entire short block, radiator/cooling issues, starting problems, computer problems and the list goes on and on. Another good friend of mine (owner of a hot shot company and sales MGR at a large car dealer) traded in an 08 that was wrought with problems similar to those above for a 2011 only to find the radiator failed catastrophically (Not talking about a pin hole leak or a hose coming off) with only a few thousand miles on the truck leaving him and his trailer stuck out of town on a job.... so much for quality being job one.....

I wouldnt travel the interstate in a Ford diesel truck, much less off road or out of the country in one. A trip to the corner store is about as far as I would trust it....

Last edited:

18seeds

Explorer
Very Cool! I'm sure the price tag will be high but my bet is the quality is much better than the obvious comparable.

Can we see the inside?

Larry - KB0HIB

Ford diesel trucks have been some of the most unreliable pieces of garbage on the continent for the last 15 years. ..... I wouldnt travel the interstate in a Ford diesel truck, much less off road or out of the country in one. A trip to the corner store is about as far as I would trust it....

Gee Dzl, thanks for the post. For the last 167,000 miles, I thought I had a really good truck.

Larry
KB0HIB - HF Mobile
2000 Ford Superduty Extended Cab 4x4 Diesel

Last edited:

howell_jd

Adventurer
I think I'm in the same boat as Larry...reliable as long as you properly maintain. There's probably a reason that fleet Ford trucks are the leading commericial vehicle of choice domestically. And the venerable 7.3L PSD is widely regarded as among the most reliable of diesels much like the 5.9L Cummins - both were the last of their lines before emissions controls forced maintenance adjustments that were previously not required in diesels. I think the whole story is not revealed in the list of equipment failures often. Coolers (radiator, oil, trans) often fail because of incompatible mixed coolants or extended service intervals - penny-wise, pound foolish as the saying goes. Save $50 to $100 on an oil change by using non-OEM filters that don't fit and lose a $14,000 engine. Fail to change both fuel filters regularly and kill injectors resulting in a dead $14,000 engine. Save $200 on a coolant flush by using "stop-leak," nitrate enhancers, or non-distilled water on a high volume cavitating system and lose a $14,000 engine. Save $100 to $200 on a transmission service of a 10k GVWR vehicle and lose a $10,000 transmission. Diesels will kill turbos with dirty oil or insufficient oil - add an EGR to the system and fail to observe proper levels and service intervals and there goes another several thousand dollars. Diesels aren't gassers - diesels are work horses while gassers are thoroughbreds. Even a V10 6.8L doesn't have the torque of the 6.4L PSD or even the 6.0L. The GXV platform is likely shopper-dependent. I would suspect that a Dodge or Chevy could be modified (eventually is not immediately) to accomodate the expedition shelter. And those choices will have their own maintenance issues (and parts availability and service support issues as well). I'm glad to see any continued development in the world of expedition travel and adventure, especially in large platforms that allow family adventuring. Good for GXV!
Jonathan

Maddmatt

Explorer
Gee Dzl, thanks for the post. For the last 167,000 miles, I thought I had a really good truck.

Larry
KB0HIB - HF Mobile
2000 Ford Superduty Extended Cab 4x4 Diesel

Yeah, what Larry said. We don't need the hate - just drive around any construction site in America, and you'll see dozens of un or under maintained psd's doing serious work with no problems. My contractor buddy with an '03, F350, probably the worst year for the 6.0, is pushing 200k and looks, drives and feels new. With a skid steer behind it at 9,000'.

One turbo replaced under warranty at 40k, otherwise just REGULAR maintenance. Anybody going through '8 or 9 turbos' either has a horrible mechanic, or is going the 'cheap/delayed' maintenace route.

I vote to close that particular can of worms and hear more about the features of Mike's awesome new vehicle.

-Matt

bajajoaquin

Adventurer
Yeah, what Larry said. We don't need the hate - just drive around any construction site in America, and you'll see dozens of un or under maintained psd's doing serious work with no problems. My contractor buddy with an '03, F350, probably the worst year for the 6.0, is pushing 200k and looks, drives and feels new. With a skid steer behind it at 9,000'.

One turbo replaced under warranty at 40k, otherwise just REGULAR maintenance. Anybody going through '8 or 9 turbos' either has a horrible mechanic, or is going the 'cheap/delayed' maintenace route.

I vote to close that particular can of worms and hear more about the features of Mike's awesome new vehicle.

-Matt

I've got half the miles, but the same story.

I have an early-build 2003 PSD with 105,000. I had a turbo replaced at 60K under warranty, but have had absolutely no other problems.

trickshot

The GXV website has a copy of the floor plan on it this afternoon but there's no prices yet. Has anybody called about pricing?
GXV-Ford-UXV-550-Floor-Plan.jpg

hardware

i had some email exchanges about the availability of a Chevy Truck / Duramax. they can do it depending on which truck you are interested in. some extra engineering will be involved. the truck just needs to meet certain weight requirements and the camper body can be modified in panel thickness and equipment to accommodate the truck load capability

the UXV-500 starts at $209,000

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke