MAN TGA 4x4 - Legal in USA?

Blair G

Adventurer
jgolden said:
Is it even possible to import one of these vehicles and register it in the USA?

http://www.actionmobil.at/
The MAN does not have an exemption for that model range. The only one that shows up is the MAN KAT. To bad, because if they were available I would have a 4x4 DOKA parked in my driveway.

Blair

Bob_Sheaves

Observer
The EPA and FMVSS breakover date is 25 years old. If your import vehicle is a 1982 or older model, you can bring it in. As a sidebar, have you looked at a Tatra T-813 or T-815? There are several of them in the US and some have been converted to a modern US drivetrain, a Cummins M11 at 450hp with an Allison WT/HD transmission coupled to the Tatra all wheel drive system so you would maintain the 8x8 functionality.

During US Army testing in the mid 1980's, the Tatra T-815 was rated as the most mobile off road vehicle in the world, including the HEMTT (Oshkosh A3 Hybrid drive shown on link) in use by the US Army.

Best regards,

Bob Sheaves
CEO
catNET Incorporated
http://www.catnetsolutions.com

Last edited:

Bob_Sheaves

Observer
jgolden said:
Those are bada** but a little big. Anything else out there?
Depends on what you want as far as drive system (M35 2.5T multifuel trucks are 6x6 and always cheap), power, and payload. You can also get a US M54 series 5ton for a little more money than a deuce and a half.

Best regards,

Bob Sheaves
CEO
catNET Incorporated
http://www.catnetsolutions.com

I thought about getting a Unicat built on a 5 ton chassis. But It would have needed or lacked the following improvements to match a U500:
Deep reduction 9LL 11 speed Roadranger gearbox (I don't like automatics but I do like the Unimog EAS shifting system)
Locking diffs (only Detroits available)
Super single tires
Disk brakes with ABS (unavailable)
CTIS (only available on later series)

And it still would have that huge hood sticking out adding to the length and detracting from visibility and have 40-50 year old military level creature comforts. I might have saved a high percentage of chassis cost, but a smaller percentage considering the camper unit as well.
If you can afford it, there is a 2005 132" WB U500 with EAS and CTIS on Ebay for $85.5K, only 3000 mi. For a camper one could have it lengthened by 1.00 meters to 171" which is a factory approved modification.

Charlie

jgolden

Adventurer
What are your thoughs on the International 7400 4x4 xtracab?

I need seating for 4-5 (including kids)
mostly for Baja and Western USA, but planning bigger expeditions in 3-5 years
Not too "extreme" rock crawling / 4x4ing, but will be in the dirt quite a bit
I need as much room as possible.

thanks

Avi Meyers at www.unicatamericas.com is quite happy with his. But it necessarily has a much longer wheelbase due to the hood and extra cab and you pay for that in maneuverability. Also it doesn't have CTIS or super low gears, and just a rear locker. I'd think about the manual transmission (either the 10 speed or a 9LL 11 speed with 26:1 Low-low gear for offroad trouble spots). And you can't use 20" wheels (395/85R20, 475/80R20, 14.00R20, 16.00R20), just 22.5s (425/65R22.5, 445/65R22.5). He is getting new front springs to increase his suspension travel.
I did change my shocks on the U500 to Konis.

Charlie

haven

Expedition Leader
International MXT

Avi Meyers' next project may be more the size you're looking for. Instead of the massive International 7400, Avi will use the smaller and less expensive MXT.

When the MXT was announced, it had a disappointing GVWR of only 14,000 lbs, pretty marginal for a Unicat cabin with standing room. However, International has a military version with uprated axles called (naturally) the MXT-MV.

MXT_MPV_pop.jpg

Avi convinced International to sell him a civilian MXT that has the military spec axles. Avi wrote, describing the project:

"Our plans for introducing the MXT-based Unicat prototype have been delayed because we requested a heavier duty chassis than the 14,000 standard GVWR offered by International for the civilian version. Our chassis will have the military suspension and axle package rated at 23,000 lbs for the military and 18,500 lbs for our application.

The military version of the MXT is slated to get a CTIS (Central Tire Inflation System) and we hope to get that as soon as it becomes available.

I think this model will appeal to many people who are intimidated by the larger trucks. It will drive as easily and comfortably as a luxurious pickup truck but will have the same wheels, tires and ground clearance as our larger trucks.

We hope to ship the first chassis to Germany in July and have it back in the US by the end of the year."

A vehicle based on the MXT-MV is one of two designs under consideration by the Army as the replacement for the HMMWV. So the MXT is plenty capable. (Lockheed Martin produces the other design.)

Avi's Unicat product line for USA is called "Amerigo." Learn more here
http://www.unicatamericas.com/en/index2-Amerigo.html

Chip Haven

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94