J8 Expedition Project:

we build this 2 dr CRD J8 for our local distributor as a show/teaser car for professional users, last summer

legend03.jpg

discover01.jpg

but since a few months =" sound of silence " nothing moves , we have a demand from buyers but can not get any cars, and a CEE approval seems to be ' mission impossible"

Looks like only Jankel in the UK can get the cars , but only for Mil Sales

So now we build them a Rubi version for professional use :

http://s2.postimage.org/hUwYr-b39b145972d977bad621d3213b81c752.jpg

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
Are those steel wheels 17"? If so will they work on my 2008 Grand Cherokee?

And where can I order them???

alosix

Expedition Leader
If I'm not mistaken, those wheels are the steel spares that are used on GCs.

J8s run a 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern (like old CJs). Most other modern Jeeps (including new GCs) run 5 on 5. They'd probably fit with an adapter/spacer, but not without some work.

Jason

JPK

Explorer
Are those steel wheels 17"? If so will they work on my 2008 Grand Cherokee?

And where can I order them???

I saw those wheels on Mopar Parts' site in the JK section listed as winter wheels/offroad wheels. (not quite sure they are exactly the same...) They are 17".

Here is a link: http://jeepparts.mopar.com/jeep/wrangler-accessories.html

They are also listed under the 2008 GC assessories, exterior. Here is a link: http://jeepparts.mopar.com/jeep/wrangler-accessories.html

EDIT: I tried the GC link and it takes you to the accessories page for the two door Wrangler. To get to the GC, you need to enter your vehicle year and model. That will take you to a menu index, scroll over or click on "Exterior;" "Wheels" will be one of the drop down options. Click "Wheels" and they should be the first listing. Hope this helps.

JPK

Last edited:

x32792

Adventurer
J8-Go or No Go?

Anyone have an update on the AEV J8? Is it a GO, NO GO or on HOLD?

Last edited:

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
The primary objectives that were laid out for the J8 Habitat conversion are to create a utilitarian set of solutions to storage, water containment, sleeping arrangements, food preservation, cooking and power. All of the solutions that we have created will apply to any JK unlimited. All of the solutions have been defined in stages.

• Stage 1 means that the solutions preserve the factory rear seat configuration
  • Stage 2 means that the solutions require removal of the 2/3 section of the rear seat configuration
  • Stage 3 means that the entire factory rear seat configuration is removed.

All of the Stage levels are compatible with each other. For example, if you started with Stage 1 and wanted to go to Stage 2 or 3, all of your Stage 1 components are part of Stage 3 and hence all compatible etc. The vehicle can always be returned back to stock if desired.

The J8 will receive a Stage 2 set of solutions. The thought process is to build the vehicle to support 2 travelers while preserving the 3rd seat in the event of traveling in a country that may require hiring a "Fixer" or "Facilitator" to travel in restricted areas.

Our first part of this project is to create additional storage. We focused on the tire carrier. We decided that we needed a secure spot with quick & easy accessibility for recovery gear such as our snatch strap, shackles, winch controller & gloves. We adapted a prototype of a new product by Little Boys Offroad Toys called a "Gearsafe"

The J8 has a different tailgate structure than the JK so we started by cutting off the factory J8 tire carrier plate and welding in place the Gearsafe adapter plate.
Painted to match and Gearsafe installed
And there you have it! 11 gauge tough, powder coated and with a nifty combo lock.
More to come...

Attachments

• Factory Tire cut.jpg
    Factory Tire cut.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 218
  • Gearsafe bracket tacked.jpg
    Gearsafe bracket tacked.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 220
  • Gearsafe brackets painted.jpg
    Gearsafe brackets painted.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 186
  • Gearsafe mounted.jpg
    Gearsafe mounted.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 269
  • Gearsafe open copy.jpg
    Gearsafe open copy.jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 248
  • Gearsafe front copy.jpg
    Gearsafe front copy.jpg
    262.7 KB · Views: 250
Last edited:

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
I saw those wheels on Mopar Parts' site in the JK section listed as winter wheels/offroad wheels. (not quite sure they are exactly the same...) They are 17".

Here is a link: http://jeepparts.mopar.com/jeep/wrangler-accessories.html

They are also listed under the 2008 GC assessories, exterior. Here is a link: http://jeepparts.mopar.com/jeep/wrangler-accessories.html

EDIT: I tried the GC link and it takes you to the accessories page for the two door Wrangler. To get to the GC, you need to enter your vehicle year and model. That will take you to a menu index, scroll over or click on "Exterior;" "Wheels" will be one of the drop down options. Click "Wheels" and they should be the first listing. Hope this helps.

JPK

Perfect...thanks for the link

elcoyote

Rear seat modification

In order to separate the rear seat and create the 3rd "Fixer" seat as we like to call it, a bracket needed to be fabricated to support the seat pivot and create a new seat belt mount. The bracket still allows for full fold down functionality of the seat and provides the first step up into the Habitat top.

Attachments

• 3rd seat barcket parts.jpg
    3rd seat barcket parts.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 135
  • 3rd seat bracket.jpg
    3rd seat bracket.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 172
  • 3rd seat installation.jpg
    3rd seat installation.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 398

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
Fixer...James Fixer!

Maybe a pedistal mount and a flip open roof to allow the fixer to clear the road with a giant hot water MG from an on board tank? Heehee. Sorry. This is so far beyond my scope to duplicate I am just awed...fantastic work guys. I dig the little safe/spare tire thingy too. Is the combo lock weather and dust proof?
Have you thought of adding fenderwell storage like the old military jeeps had? Lets you use the dead space not ocupied by the wheelwells or gas filler.

AZUnlimited

Adventurer
Great Thread!!

Awesome Thread!! Can't wait to see how the build progresses.

I've been thinking about the "Gearsafe" today and a couple of things have popped into my mind. First, it's a great idea, I love the fact that it makes previously dead space usable. However, it has some "cons"; 1) It appears most after market tire carriers will not work with it? If the vehicle is running stock sized tires, not a big deal. For those running larger tires on a production jk, perhaps the Hanson Tire Carrier could be modified to work with it. 2) I noticed it does not include a provision for the 3rd brake light. Perhaps some tabs mounted to the top of it would be beneficial. They would provide a place for the third brake light assembly on a stock jk to be mounted to, possibly a place to mount an antenna, or additional reverse/rear lights.

Last edited:

elcoyote

I dig the little safe/spare tire thingy too. Is the combo lock weather and dust proof?
Have you thought of adding fenderwell storage like the old military jeeps had? Lets you use the dead space not ocupied by the wheelwells or gas filler.

The Gearsafe lock is weatherproof but the unit itself is not waterproof. It does have a drain hole in the bottom though

Stay tuned for above wheel well storage ;)

Awesome Thread!! Can't wait to see how the build progresses.

I've been thinking about the "Gearsafe" today and a couple of things have popped into my mind. First, it's a great idea, I love the fact that it makes previously dead space usable. However, it has some "cons"; 1) It appears most after market tire carriers will not work with it? If the vehicle is running stock sized tires, not a big deal. For those running larger tires on a production jk, perhaps the Hanson Tire Carrier could be modified to work with it. 2) I noticed it does not include a provision for the 3rd brake light. Perhaps some tabs mounted to the top of it would be beneficial. They would provide a place for the third brake light assembly on a stock jk to be mounted to, possibly a place to mount an antenna, or additional reverse/rear lights.

The Gearsafe does have a 3rd brake light provision, we just did not add it because the J8 has none. Since the Gearsafe is technically not yet on the market, there are still some provisions, such as you mentioned, that are still in the works. FYI, I will be mounting one to the AT MJ with a one off tire carrier, so I guess anything is possible. BTW, the Hanson link was dead.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior