Sub-Compact Overlander

Scott, BTW I really enjoyed your MongolRally thread. It reaffirmed my theory that this Overlanding thing could "lighten" up a little. I have seen some very crappy cars carrying lots of people and mass quantities of potato's on some horrible roads in Romania. Everybody likes LandCruisers with big tires but is it all necessary? Rock crawling is a sport not a mode of travel. Fuel is not getting any cheaper and the economy stinks. We have to start getting by with less. My Subaru is so cheap to operate, that we can afford to go camping every weekend. Or we can drive where ever we want on vacation. It is actually one of the easiest cars to work on I have owned. Our limiting factors are ground clearance, low range.

So, Is this thread going to turn into a build? :coffee:

SafariPacific

Adventurer
I could see myself taking a trip or two in a sub-compact. Would definitely keep the purpose of the trip to the locations and people and not so much the vehicle. After bulking up for my current adventure, I see the sub-compact as an easy going and fun way to travel.

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Don't know it counts a "sub-compact", but the ECamper, based on the Honda Element, really appeals to me as a, 'less is more' set up that could handle a large majority of trips is North America.

Add some burly lookin' off-road farkle and it really stands out IMO -

2006_honda_element_with_ecamper_20000_morro_bay_11711947.jpg

Or just load & go. Nuthin' wrong with that!
IMG_0956_1_1.JPG

Wilbur

Adventurer
Don't know it counts a "sub-compact", but the ECamper, based on the Honda Element, really appeals to me as a, 'less is more' set up that could handle a large majority of trips is North America.

Add some burly lookin' off-road farkle and it really stands out IMO -

2006_honda_element_with_ecamper_20000_morro_bay_11711947.jpg

Or just load & go. Nuthin' wrong with that!
IMG_0956_1_1.JPG

I agree completely. I think had I know what I do now, I'd would have bought a element over the FJ cruiser.

If they would just produce a pop up for FJ that worked in similar fashion, I'd be set.

I think the person to talk about sub compact 4wd's in in aspect would be Tim Hardy. He is the macguyver of zuki's and I swear that's all he has ever owned.

D

Deleted member 9101

We have a guy over here on base with one. He likes it other than it being underpowered.

Oh don't get me daydreaming about a Samuri w/ a VW diesel. Biodiesel, hardtop, maybe 1" or 2" OME lift, and a sturdy roof rack...

Fits in the garage easy too!

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Scott, BTW I really enjoyed your MongolRally thread. It reaffirmed my theory that this Overlanding thing could "lighten" up a little. I have seen some very crappy cars carrying lots of people and mass quantities of potato's on some horrible roads in Romania. Everybody likes LandCruisers with big tires but is it all necessary? Rock crawling is a sport not a mode of travel. Fuel is not getting any cheaper and the economy stinks. We have to start getting by with less. My Subaru is so cheap to operate, that we can afford to go camping every weekend. Or we can drive where ever we want on vacation. It is actually one of the easiest cars to work on I have owned. Our limiting factors are ground clearance, low range.

So, Is this thread going to turn into a build? :coffee:

Funny you ask that....Scott and i have been indeed discussing this possibility this weekend. We are thinking of a low budget but complete build. Possible candidate would include the Vitara, Rav4, Rodeo, Pajero, etc. Perhaps something for less than $5k total...

:)

Viggen

Just here...
Oh don't get me daydreaming about a Samuri w/ a VW diesel. Biodiesel, hardtop, maybe 1" or 2" OME lift, and a sturdy roof rack...

Fits in the garage easy too!

1165332023_3ccaa003c6.jpg

Find one of these with a VW TDi. THAT would be awesome. The aftermarket is brimming with Samurai parts and options. VW TDi, Toyota trans, spring over and some decent tires, thatd be pretty cool. A little too small for my 6'4" but cool nonetheless.

I vote a first Gen Amigo build. Always liked them. I had a 91 Rodeo that I built up with a 3" lift, 32" Mickey Thompsons, 4.30 gears, locker rear and 5MT with the little GM V6 and it was pretty damn tough with a lot of room inside.

stevec

Adventurer
I too would love to see the new Jimny's in the U.S. - didn't realize the low range was so high, but they sell the Jimny in many, if not most other countries, so it wouldn't surprise me if lower gears could be found (there are plenty of options out there for Samurai's nowadays.) I don't know of any newer vehicle that would compete with it for economy and offroad worthiness.

Regarding the LWB's, most of the Canadian ones are '86's and '87's. Starting next year, the '86's can be imported to the U.S. without any hassles at all, as they will be exempt from EPA and DOT requirements. Being fairly close to the border, I expect to see a lot more of them next year.

My "overlanding rig":

Whipsaw2010101.jpg

Only 41 hp, but it only weighs 1600# dry, and it gets 25-26mpg with the shell on, and loaded down with camping gear. Top speed on level ground is around 70mph, and it likes 55-60 much better, but I usually don't need to go any faster than that anyway. Low range is 2.6:1, but I'm looking for the 3:1 t-case gears out of the convertible SWB models, which is plenty low for moderate 4WD trails (the above pic was on the Whipsaw Trail in July.) I'm hoping to do an extended trip to Alaska in it in the next few years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne