Sub-Compact Overlander

Scott Brady

Founder
My recent expedition across Europe, the Middle-East, Central Asia and into Asia with a Suzuki Jimny piqued my interest in the potential of traveling in a sub-compact car or 4wd. Certainly there are downsides, but the advantages are also compelling.

Suzuki_Jimny_Prep_14.jpg

Advantages:
1. Low cost of entry
2. Low operating cost
3. Ease of maintenance and service
4. Easy to drive in cities
5. Under the radar - The local policia won't even notice you are there.
6. Easy/cheap to park, store, ship, insure, etc.
7. Fewer boats and dugout canoes required for river crossings. . .
hj75_800_500.jpg

Disadvantages:
1. You need to pack/live like a backpacker
2. Limited occupants, even three in the car is too much
3. Limited high-speed performance
4. Limited roof load capacity

On my recent trip, I had essentially done all the hard bits of a RTW with the exception of the Road of Bones for catching a container out of eastern Russia.

Suzuki_Jimny_Andora_.jpg

The prospect of using smaller vehicles is actually quite appealing. The typical hangup is because you are driving a small vehicle. That it somehow loses part of the appeal of traveling in a rough and ready 110 or Land Cruiser - no doubt that is true.

Lets see your sub-compact overlander!

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Good AWD Car?

I would observe that if the small utility or AWD car was not your only overlanding platform then the trade-offs become much smaller. I have been trying to convince my wife (and myself) that our next car could be the new Subaru Outback wagon.

As a fairly capable, reasonably priced traveling option, something like the previous Gen. Outback wagon with the right tires, maybe a couple of skids (or not), a slight lift (or not) and just travel. A small utility surely raises the off-highway capability.

Like you said, under the radar of many authorities, easier & maybe even more fun to drive on all the road miles that overlanding often includes. Buying the previous Gen. car or utility used keeps the price of entry low. Keep the mods limited too, for both reliability and cost. If it's a common car, if you break it, or it's lost or stolen, it would be much easier to replace (insurance money?) and continue on.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Great idea, scott. Lots of merit in a smaller rig like this. I rocked a Suzuki Grand Vitara for a while, and honestly loved the great mpg's, reletively cheap parts/upgrades, and nimbleness inherant in a smaller rig.

This is one reason I've stuck with my compact Cherokee. Its not as small as some Compact and subcompact rigs, but its no-where near the size of a disco, xterra, fj80, etc..

haven

Expedition Leader
Coming soon to a Jeep showroom near you, courtesy of Fiat:

pandacross2.jpg

pandacross1.jpg

The Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross is a true subcompact, about the size of a Mini Cooper, and a lot smaller than a Honda Element.

Here's a 14 minute video filmed by Jola & Dominik Podroznicy, a Polish couple that drove from Europe to South Africa and back in a Panda Cross in 2007. Did they get stuck? Did they have mechanical problems? Sure. But they persevered and had a great trip. http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=96383094036395033#

The English language web site describing this trip and others, always driving small Fiats, is http://www.autopodroznicy.com/e_index.html

winkosmosis

Explorer
I wish we got the little Suzuki here.

Unlike the other examples of compacts, it's a real truck. It even has 2 solid axles.

It's great to see someone with world wide experience who likes the little guys. I have always had a thing for Samurais. My son took over the 96 geo tracker when he turned 16 (4 in lift, custom bumpers, winch, etc.) We have put almost 100k miles on it since the mods were done and it still is going strong (small oil leak righ now..). Theres a lot to be said for small and light.
:victory: ( I cant seem to get the pic to upload right now..)
So, now that my son took the Tracker, I am building an 87 tintop samurai. We havent figured out how to move the RTT from the 4runner to the Sami (dont think it will fit). Probably will have to go with a trailer if we want to use it. I am lucky though. Living like a backpacker when exploring is just as appealing to my wife, as it is for me. No pottie? No problem! She's a real trooper (and a GREAT camp cook!).

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
In my younger years I used to work seasonally in Spain each year driving down, via Morroco and Portugal to do some windsurfing prior to starting work.

Water was warmer and the winds started earlier, the boards on top were mine the cat was'nt

I had 2 samis, which I have no photo's off, but here's a pic of my old Diahitsu which ran a 4 bang toyo engine, shown here slowly disolving on the beach.

3 years I think this did the trip for me....I had to get the rear brake pads re-built in spain one year.

The transfer case I had to rebuild- standard bearings and 1 part given to me for free by a southafrican mechanic...long story.

On the way home one year the water pump blew and I had to spend 5 days on a winery in france waiting to get a part, I ran out of food but the winery eventually supplied me with bread and cheese to go with my wine purchases....

scanned from an old photo

Diahatsujeepspain-1.jpg

The last year i went I had upgraded to this, but still short ! 2.7 turbo diesel, awsome engine for this little Patrol !

not a subcompact but still not much room, the rear roof was fiberglass

Nisanpatrol27TD001-1.jpg

Diahatsu made quite a few small 4x4's sport track terios and others

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Coming soon to a Jeep showroom near you, courtesy of Fiat:

pandacross2.jpg

pandacross1.jpg

The Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross is a true subcompact, about the size of a Mini Cooper, and a lot smaller than a Honda Element.

Here's a 14 minute video filmed by Jola & Dominik Podroznicy, a Polish couple that drove from Europe to South Africa and back in a Panda Cross in 2007. Did they get stuck? Did they have mechanical problems? Sure. But they persevered and had a great trip. http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=96383094036395033#

The English language web site describing this trip and others, always driving small Fiats, is http://www.autopodroznicy.com/e_index.html

I am honestly very excited about this. I think its a great idea! The wrangler is perfect for its segment, and if they want to compete as fuel cost go up, I'm glad they're open to considering other options.

Personally I'd love to see jeep bring back a safe, modern version of the CJ5, with solid axles, side curtain airbags, and modular rear and roof storage, but that fiat is a darn good first try.

compactcamping

Explorer
It would be great if Suzuki started bring the Jimny into the US!

When I first "down-sized" my exploring rig, I went with a Subaru. Great mileage and comfortable, problem was off-road, low ride height and no low range just don't cut it. Don't get me wrong, for mild off-pavement stuff, Subaru's are great.

I'm finding my 4-door Sidekick, works great for two people. Yes you have to pack some what like backpacking, but there is still room for everything. Sure it's a little slow over the mountain passes, but 22-26 mpg all the time is worth it.

album_pic.php

album_pic.php

haven

Expedition Leader
Suzuki has reasonable availability of parts and repair facilities in many countries around the world. The 4 cylinder Grand Vitara 4x4 is sold in almost all countries in Central and South America. (They're sold as Chevrolets in Venezuela and Brasil.)

Rocky-road.com is one source for bumpers, body protection, suspension and body lift kits, and more off-road oriented parts for Suzuki vehicles. http://www.rocky-road.com

Yeah something like the Jimny would be a welcome sight. Something with solid axles and a low range. Our Subaru has given us excellent service but it does have its limitations. We spend alot of time on fire roads camping, sometimes we have to turn around. Better safe than sorry especially with the whole family. At her age I can't see lifting it and all that. Though those springs are a bit saggy. Its just too good on the road as well. We have considered the Grand Vitara but I am a little leary of its longevity. If I could only shrink a Trooper down 30%!!

Scott Brady

Founder
Suzuki has excellent reliability.

My only complaint with the Jimny was the low range ratio. It needs to be at least 2.5, preferably 3.0:1. The engine is just not large enough to manage on the trail with the 2.0:1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles