Vintage Motorcycles: When old becomes new again

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Are you talking about the Royal Enfield project?

I had it for a week and wa surprized at how small it felt.

Yes, and yes.

I get the same feeling when I ride the DR200 or the XL250. Not so much on the CM400 -- but that is still a bit small compared to the GS or the Husaberg.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
This may be an odd place to say this but, sometimes you don't have to ride your moto to the edge of 90 consecutive horizons to enjoy the ride. Sometimes just cruising around town like the Fonz is fun enough.

lowenbrau

Explorer
I've wanted a vintage bike ever since the last episode of MASH when Hunnicutt drove off into Korea in a WWII Indian Scout. The Canadian forces used this same bike and I have heard stories about barn finds so i just keep waiting. There is a Ural dealer just down the road though. Maybe that would tide me over?

Perhaps I should commute on one of these for a while and get it out of my system.

ron1.jpg

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
I am already making an aluminum skidplate for my bonnie and then when the current tires wear out I'll be putting some very mild dirt tires, like an 80/20 tire.
Already saw some stock scrambler rear shocks on craigslist.
I like it. Slow going offroad, but I can't seem to help myself from putting down dirt tracks with this bike!

:sombrero:

P8210001.jpg

taco2go

Explorer
I want to buy it, throw a set of vintage looking hard bags on it and ride to Tierra del Fuego on it - anyone else?

enfield.jpg

That image with black background has been my wallpaper for about a year. Would be perfect for puttering through the farms to get to work. Someday....:drool:

AFSOC

Explorer
Tim's recent Triumph trip had me looking into Scramblers. This would be an even more practical, though slightly less stylish approach than the C5 Enfield (IMO of course). The stock high pipes kind of ruin it for me. . .a little

Some of us who were kids in the 70s probably gravitate towards the high pipe styling. Some of the first "enduros" I lusted over exhausted like that. Some of the first bikes I could afford to buy (since they were 10-15 years old at the time) had those exhausts.

Retro styling became an automotive segment 10 years ago, not it's hit motorcycles. When I look at these bikes, I find myself in the same category with the guy who's buying the new Challenger because when he was 18 he wanted a new 1970 Cuda or Challenger but couldn't get one.

`

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Triumph Scrambler...

Well, I've had mine for almost 2 years now and I love it!

I've put a few things on it that detract from the "classic" looks: Rear rack (Renntec), top case & small windshield. The good news is that all of those can be removed in less than 10 minutes with just a few turns of a wrench.

Does great in the dirt, even with street tires (Dunlop D404s) that I just put on. Here she is about to ascend Moki Dugway in Utah:

2010_0913_082311AA.jpg

And here's the view from halfway up. Note the road in the background. That was some fun riding!

2010_0913_082654AA.jpg

As for Royal Enfield, I have a great t-shirt at home that reads "Royal Enfield: Makes on Ordinary Man into a Mechanic!" :sombrero:

Rexsname

Explorer
Martinjmpr,

I've looked at their website but haven't been able to find the info. What is the fuel capasity of the fuel tank and what is your typical fuel mileage?

Have you had any reliability issues?

REX

taco2go

Explorer
As for Royal Enfield, I have a great t-shirt at home that reads "Royal Enfield: Makes on Ordinary Man into a Mechanic!" :sombrero:

Ha!
Although given the current trend of hiding all the mechanical bits behind chrome and plastic, I for one wouldn't mind that transformation. :Mechanic:

Last edited:

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
Martinjmpr,

I've looked at their website but haven't been able to find the info. What is the fuel capasity of the fuel tank and what is your typical fuel mileage?

REX

Think of the scrambler as a tweaked triumph bonneville.
I get about 150 miles and then I hit reserve which is generous at .8 gallons I believe.

The scram has some taller shocks for ground clearance. A skid plate. The awesome high pipes. A 270 degree version of the bonnevilles 360 degree motor so it gets less HP, but more of a Torquey dirt bike feeling.
I'm sure a triumph nerd can list many more little differences, but those are the main ones.

Basically a scrambler can be turned into a bonneville and a bonneville turned into a scram with some work. It seems most people shoot for the middle ground between the two.
:ylsmoke:

edit: Forgot to add, these new triumphs are quirky, but really reliable.

Last edited:

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Does mine count? Like an old bike, she even left my stranded a few weeks ago....

2006-ducati-sport1000c.jpg

Ducati%20Sport%201000%2006%20%201.jpg

Last edited:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Martinjmpr,

My '08 is the last year that had carbs. Newer models have EFI which reduces tank volume slightly (I guess because there's a fuel pump in the tank.) My tank is about 3.96 gallons though not all of that is usable. MPG has been steadily improving since I bought it (makes sense, engine is loosening up a bit and breaking in.) Tends to run from a low of ~45 to a high of close to 55. Obviously fast freeway riding is much worse on MPG. Riding through the mountains where my speed stays between 45 - 55 always gets the best MPG.

I think the reserve capacity is around .6, not sure. I typically don't hit reserve when I ride but I start looking for a gas station around 150 miles. A few months ago I had it up to 176 miles and had not yet hit reserve! :Wow1: That's when I lost my nerve and filled it up, it took 3.49 gallons (50.4 mpg.) There's a guy in my RAT club who has an identical Scrambler and he typically goes over 200 miles before refueling. In theory, that's possible although IMO that's really pushing it.

REX

None. The new Triumphs are dead reliable, as much as any Japanese brand. This is my 2nd Hinckley Triumph, my previous one was a 2001 Thunderbird that I bought in 2005 with 1,958 miles and sold in 2007 with 27,000. ;)

Three sets of tires, one chain/sprocket set, and one shock absorber (replaced under warranty) and a couple of leaky seals were the only maintenance costs (other than the obvious, oil changes, chain lube, etc.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier