Vintage Motorcycles: When old becomes new again

Scott Brady

Founder
I want to buy it, throw a set of vintage looking hard bags on it and ride to Tierra del Fuego on it - anyone else?

enfield.jpg

Of course it is completely impractical, slow and handles like a sac of potatoes

But it is beautiful
g5-military-tan.jpg

royal-enfield-bullet-classic-500cc.jpg

Scott Brady

Founder
Tim's recent Triumph trip had me looking into Scramblers. This would be an even more practical, though slightly less stylish approach than the C5 Enfield (IMO of course). The stock high pipes kind of ruin it for me. . .a little

2009-triumph-scrambler-motorcycle.jpg

scrambler_gallery_pop_1_2008.jpg

Scrambler_2010_gallery3L_1024x768.jpg

Scrambler_2010_gallery4L_1024x768.jpg

The high pipes look better on this version ;)
IMG_8097e.jpg

Here is a modified exhaust (each side has a pipe)
triumph_scrambler_mission_impossible.jpg

RHINO

Expedition Leader
i dont know that i would trust a royal for a trip in remote areas unless i had the means to get parts/support quickly. having said that i do want one.

i keep looking on craigslist for an old "right priced" bmw r65 or similar to make my own WWII military looking bike. or olvie drab scrambler if you will.

BEVAN

Adventurer
I have a 67 Norton atlas and 68 BSA Victor...both with full resto, I'd love to take them on a trip but a bit more testing will be needed before that can happen.

Observer
A nice 70's /5 would be a great older bike. They were state of the art touring bikes in their day and are not hard to work on.

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Vintage Motorcycles: When old becomes new again

Does this Enfield do it for ya, Scott? New ISDT Replica. 612cc kit in it too.

mcdeeb-six-days-2.jpg

Regards John.

Last edited:

Rexsname

Explorer
OD green Scrambler please......It just looks sooooo cool! It's not trying to be anything it is not. It's not a cruiser, not a 'go fast' bike, not an adventure bike, but.........................It certainly would cruise, go fast and provide many adventures.

(rant on) Why are there so few standard motorcyles available? TU250 Enfield and some triumphs are all I can think of at the moment....(rant off)

REX

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
I have had a long time crush on the 2wd Ural!
At first it was the Patrol:Wow1:
Patrol_White_RightView1_520.jpg

And then last year they released the Sahara! :drool:
ural_main.jpg

Say what you want about reliability, that is what a tool kit and spare parts are for!

The best part is that Amy has a huge affection for them as well. We'd love to get ahold of one and have some fun plans to use two of them for a family of four worldwide adventure! :bike_rider::rally_guys::roost::26_13_1:

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
The new Triumph Scramblers are pretty nice bikes. I'd take one over the RE.

I hi-jacked Jonathan's project a while back (he should know better than to leave it in my garage unattended), and while it has plenty of 'cool' to it, my back hurt for a couple days after a short 15 mile ride across town. It feels a little cramped to me. But maybe I'm just spoiled on the BMW (and now the Husaberg). I like to stretch out a bit on the bikes.

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
The new Triumph Scramblers are pretty nice bikes. I'd take one over the RE.

I hi-jacked Jonathan's project a while back (he should know better than to leave it in my garage unattended), and while it has plenty of 'cool' to it, my back hurt for a couple days after a short 15 mile ride across town. It feels a little cramped to me. But maybe I'm just spoiled on the BMW (and now the Husaberg). I like to stretch out a bit on the bikes.

Are you talking about the Royal Enfield project?

I had it for a week and wa surprized at how small it felt.
But, at the same time, every time I rode it I was grinning ear-to-ear:)

Rexsname

Explorer
Yeah but Johnathan is not exactly what you'd call a "real big man"......
Arizona freeways? Probably not.

REX

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah but Johnathan is not exactly what you'd call a "real big man"......
Arizona freeways? Probably not.

REX

I had the Royal Enfield up to, um, or - I mean, I've heard you can get the Royal Enfield up to a top speed of 72mph but you have to learn how to work within the rev limiter.:bike_rider:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior