007's Expedition Build

Explorer
I'm looking into upgrading my rear suspension next, It seems undersprung in back despite the 7 leaf springs in my Dakar pack. With everything loaded it sits 5" off the bump stops.

Does anybody know if I can add an extra leaf to what I have, or am I going to have to opt for the ride-rite airbag setup?

I like the idea of adjusting my ride height for additional cargo with bags, but I worry about the reliability and lack of articulation they may have.

Any thoughts?

D

Deleted member 9101

I'm looking into upgrading my rear suspension next, It seems undersprung in back despite the 7 leaf springs in my Dakar pack. With everything loaded it sits 5" off the bump stops.

Does anybody know if I can add an extra leaf to what I have, or am I going to have to opt for the ride-rite airbag setup?

I like the idea of adjusting my ride height for additional cargo with bags, but I worry about the reliability and lack of articulation they may have.

Any thoughts?

Air bags woudl be my choice,, that way its adjustable.

oxi

Adventurer

Any thoughts?

Yes, I am looking to carry max-payload off-road but am trying to keep it with leafs and shocks.

Solid ride!

CanuckMariner/Nomad

Love having fun 😊 in the 🌞 by the ⛵ and the ⏳
Either suspension mod would work. Call ARB (toll free) and chat with Buddy King, he knows his suspension stuff quite well. I am sure they have extra leafs you can add as well as he can tell you the pros and cons about air bags.:costumed-smiley-007

WASURF63

Adventurer

Dig the rig. Nice cargo management too. Is that a light mounted to the underside of the RTT near the rear portion of the bedrack(post #1, pic-2)?

I'm more impressed that you make the effort to take your daughter out exploring with you.
My daughter has been on the trail (mountains,beach,desert) with us since she was a little over a year old. Haven't been on many trips w/o her.

Explorer
Either suspension mod would work. Call ARB (toll free) and chat with Buddy King, he knows his suspension stuff quite well. I am sure they have extra leafs you can add as well as he can tell you the pros and cons about air bags.:costumed-smiley-007

I think I've decieded to go with the add a leaf and see how that works. Might as well have it sprung correctly whether I opt to add airbags or not.

Explorer

Dig the rig. Nice cargo management too. Is that a light mounted to the underside of the RTT near the rear portion of the bedrack(post #1, pic-2)?

I'm more impressed that you make the effort to take your daughter out exploring with you.
My daughter has been on the trail (mountains,beach,desert) with us since she was a little over a year old. Haven't been on many trips w/o her.

Thanks!

It is a light, two seperate ones mounted under there in fact. One over the fridge and another over the stove. I got them from napa, they are a sealed domelight with a gasket and pushbutton switch.

There is nothing better than hanging out in the wild with a child!

Explorer
You are not alone... your observations have been shared and discussed before. See what others have experienced and see if this helps address some of your thoughts.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45302

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44304

I'm one of those posters and ARB was very helpful. But I am rethinking rear suspension as the Tacoma goes in the shop soon for a major change in propulsion.

Thanks for the links, I missed those by only reading stuff concerning airbags (duh) Anyway, you think the add a leaf would work well for me? do I just order them and the center pins I have work with it?

Really like your truck btw!

Willman

Nice setup!

Love your bed setup!

I couldn't tell from the pictures....Do you have a full size 255 under the bed?

Keep up the great work

:ylsmoke:

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Thanks for the links, I missed those by only reading stuff concerning airbags (duh) Anyway, you think the add a leaf would work well for me? do I just order them and the center pins I have work with it?

Really like your truck btw!

Thanks for the kind remark - I like it too!

I added the X29 Dakar AAL, as recommended by ARB, drilled out the center-pin hole to match the existing center-pin and used that - it has the length for the additional leaf.

You're not done yet... I think the threads include swapping the N85s for the N76 shocks. Now you have increased height, flex, and travel to contend with and the N85s don't have the range you need.

Explorer
Nice setup!

Love your bed setup!

I couldn't tell from the pictures....Do you have a full size 255 under the bed?

Keep up the great work

:ylsmoke:

Thank you!, It is a full size spare, I bent the supports out a little with a sledge and I'm careful to place it away from the rear diff and driver side spring pack when securing it.

Explorer
Thanks for the kind remark - I like it too!

I added the X29 Dakar AAL, as recommended by ARB, drilled out the center-pin hole to match the existing center-pin and used that - it has the length for the additional leaf.

You're not done yet... I think the threads include swapping the N85s for the N76 shocks. Now you have increased height, flex, and travel to contend with and the N85s don't have the range you need.

Ok cool.

I have bilsteins in back so the travel should be ok, But... The bilstein shocks are pretty crappy and they heat up and become choppy after a short bit. I should probably upgrade to the icon remote resi shocks so that the back can keep up with the front. Its amazing how hot the back shocks get and how cool the front stays with the icons.

So what kind of propulsion upgrade is your truck getting? you don't start threads, so i'll just have to include your build in this one:coffeedrink:

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
That sounds like a good plan - you'll likely be happier with the ICONs for the long-haul.

SAS - Another controversial topic that is subject to personal opinion and experience, but I'm not happy with the limitations IFS presents me. I've imagined a "hyper-capable" expeditionary rig and IFS, for me, is the weak link regarding durability.

The Tacoma goes in the shop by November and if all goes as we predict, show it at OX11. I'll be purposefully vague for now as I don't want to steal your thread and a local fabricator intends to bring a different SAS option to the market. ;)

• My goal is a mild increase in height -- not a crazy amount of lift -- and keep the COG low. I'm old and my knees hurt...
  • Since this isn't intended to be a rock-crawler I'm not looking for tires over 35 inches and will likely just stick with 33s.
  • Another desired charcteristic for this build is that since I drive wherever I go off-road I want good road manners, too. You know, for all that 3RZ AT-crazy speed I have now since I regeared... ;)

Explorer
That sounds like a good plan - you'll likely be happier with the ICONs for the long-haul.

SAS - Another controversial topic that is subject to personal opinion and experience, but I'm not happy with the limitations IFS presents me. I've imagined a "hyper-capable" expeditionary rig and IFS, for me, is the weak link regarding durability.

The Tacoma goes in the shop by November and if all goes as we predict, show it at OX11. I'll be purposefully vague for now as I don't want to steal your thread and a local fabricator intends to bring a different SAS option to the market. ;)

• My goal is a mild increase in height -- not a crazy amount of lift -- and keep the COG low. I'm old and my knees hurt...
  • Since this isn't intended to be a rock-crawler I'm not looking for tires over 35 inches and will likely just stick with 33s.
  • Another desired charcteristic for this build is that since I drive wherever I go off-road I want good road manners, too. You know, for all that 3RZ AT-crazy speed I have now since I regeared... ;)

Sounds awesome, I was thinking you were doing something stupid like plucking out the 3rz :)

AT, now SAS, I might have to kick you out of my club:bike_rider:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior