007's Expedition Build

Tacovendor

Explorer
Talk to the guys at Deaver springs, I'm going to have them rework the icon aal, you can give them the weight your hauling and ride height and they can make a spring just for your rig. I like your choice of platforms! I have the long travel Icons w/remote resi, here's a pic of the travel they give me. Cris
P8310182.jpg

Explorer
I'll keep that in mind for the next spring pack. Nice truck! I've got an 06 white extended cab, rocking it stock DD:smiley_drive:

Explorer
I just finished installing the Dakar add a leaf. I really had fun doing it without axle stands and a hoist!!

It certainly increased the ride height and stiffened it up for now, but I think it will settle and sag prematurely like the rest of the pack did.

I'm not convinced these are made from the highest quality steel.

**EDIT: Springs are holding up very well, no sag, I withdraw my previous statement ;)

Last edited:

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Someone here mentioned once they considered springs a consumable part... guess there is some truth to that. Depending on how you use your truck you may need something different and this just a temporary measure. I'm not convinced my springs will stay the same either.

Explorer
Thats an excellent point!!

I feel much better about them after looking at it like that :)

Explorer
I just finished a 9 day trip with the Dakar ADD-a-leaf in place, It made a huge difference :) I even had an additional load of two boned out deer and the truck held its rake and felt tuned for the load, so I'm bagging the air bag idea altogether.

Another nice addition to the truck was a 12 volt bunk heater I found on ebay for $50. its 46" X 60" and just pins to the mattress under the sleeping bags and down comforter that I keep stowed in the tent.

It has a control switch that stays in the tent with settings 1-7 and supposedly has its own thermostat inside the controller to maintain the heat setting.

A 12-volt heating blanket is nothing like a 120 volt! it doesn't get hot, its actually hard to tell its working if you don't put something over it to capture the warmth. You can certainly tell its working after its been on a while and your laying on it.

It only got down into the 20's but the heating blanket kept the chill completely out of the tent, I didn't have to use the propane heater at all which is good because those create so much condensation that I've had it get completely wet underneath the mattress and ruin it with mold. Sneaky condensation doesn't appear on the roof where I could notice it, but it was certainly accumulating on the floor!

The electric blanket does suck the juice (3.6 amps max) so it would need recharged every 2nd or 3rd night if its really cold and the truck isn't moving.

Last edited:

frozenground

Adventurer
Wow, looking good! :elkgrin:

+1 on the electric blanket solution. I scrapped all thoughts of using a heater after I put in the inverter. I have been using an AC blanket but I think it draws more juice than your 12V bunk heater. Might need to switch..

Also thanks for the info on the Dakar AAL, I am still debating my next spring pack upgrade. Are you bottoming out at all when loaded with gear, wood, dead critters?

Explorer
Wow, looking good! :elkgrin:

+1 on the electric blanket solution. I scrapped all thoughts of using a heater after I put in the inverter. I have been using an AC blanket but I think it draws more juice than your 12V bunk heater. Might need to switch..

Also thanks for the info on the Dakar AAL, I am still debating my next spring pack upgrade. Are you bottoming out at all when loaded with gear, wood, dead critters?

I always bottom out any suspension available to me :bike_rider: but before the AAL, the back was constantly bottoming out before the front, Now it seems I can use all of the front suspension (ICONS) and the back hardly ever hits. Even fully loaded my truck sits slightly raked.

evileric

Observer
Good write up! Was just searching through build threads for single cab tacomas. We have the same truck, down to the year and manual options. haha.

Good to see some ideas of gear placement, as Im doing an expo build to my tacoma. What RTT did you go with?

Explorer
Good write up! Was just searching through build threads for single cab tacomas. We have the same truck, down to the year and manual options. haha.

Good to see some ideas of gear placement, as Im doing an expo build to my tacoma. What RTT did you go with?

Thanks, I went with the eezi-awn 1400 T-top. I like having the shelter room available for extended stay or foul weather. Quality is top-notch

Go to this site and click on the photo gallery to see the tent deployed on my truck http://www.overlandadventureoutfitters.com/janda/index.php

Last edited:

phsycle

Adventurer
Any further updates on your build? I'm about to buy a 99 single cab 5-sp. My build will be similar to yours, except I am keeping the tires at 31x10.5x15, as that's all I need for now. Stock gearing is 4.10, so that should be ok as well. Nice build, though. I plan to start taking my daughter out on overland trips this summer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles