Unity Police Spot Light Install - Dodge Ram 2500

06QuadRam

Observer
Last night my friend Craig and I installed a Unity Police light on my truck. I thought drilling 15 holes in the roof was going to be hard to install roof lights... Try drilling a 1/2" hole in a perfectly good door! haha

Since we installed on of these on Craigs truck previously, this install went pretty smooth.

It's a pretty good mod for night wheeling and searching. Craig loves his and I've seen him use it on trails before. So I can't wait to use it.

UnityLight01.JPG

The light and the install kit for Dodge Ram.

UnityLight02.JPG

The door that is about to get drilled.

UnityLight03.JPG

Install kit. This was chrome, I painted it black.

UnityLight04.JPG

Craig cutting out the template for drilling holes.

UnityLight05.JPG

Template placed on to the truck.

UnityLight06.JPG

Drilling the holes and Craig being a little nervous!

UnityLight07.JPG

Unity install kit in place.

UnityLight08.JPG

Drilling the 1/2" hole through the door!

UnityLight09.JPG

Hole drilled and the tube in place.

UnityLight10.JPG

Another look at the tube in place.

UnityLight11.JPG

Light installed and adjusting the movement.

UnityLight12.JPG

Craig adjusting the light.

UnityLight13.JPG

The light in it's 'home' state when driving.

UnityLight14.JPG

All done. In the 'home' state.

UnityLight15.JPG

Inside view.

UnityLight16.JPG

Inside view with door closed.

UnityLight17.JPG

Light up!

UnityLight18.JPG

Let there be light!

Unity39.jpg

Light at night..

06QuadRam

Observer
It' just drilling through the door. You don't go through the pillar.

It is scary. When you trade it in, you can have it fixed, leave it in.. or just cap it.

02TahoeMD

Explorer
Many vehicles have the option of going through just the door, pillar or both.

Most public safety vehicles have the spotlight going through the A pillar so the spotlight stays stationary when the door gets opened. If you mount the light to the A pillar then you need to cut out a relief opening in the frame of the door. I use one in my work truck every night and I actually miss the spotlight in my Tahoe when I am driving around on my time off. It is quite handy to find addresses, light up a work area when helping someone change a tire, etc etc.

Nice install there, Quad, well done. Think I am gonna just have to do it.

Silverado

Adventurer
Id you buy the mounts through a dealer/retailer or direct from Unity? Being my truck is an 06 silverado... I've only seen the pillar setups on the police tahoes.

I used to have some fun using those lights on my buddy's retired 9C1 caprice with drivers and passengers spots

Last edited:

06QuadRam

Observer
I had a friend (Angusdevil) purchase a light from Craigslist and he found the correct mount on Unity's site. I googled the part number when I bought mine and found a place that was close and cheaper than Unity.

I got the light for $30 off of Craigslist. And It was $50 for the kit and shipping.

Here is the holes you need to drill in the door..
Unity31.JPG

May look bad but when the gasket and the kit is on..
Unity10.JPG

Then we painted his to match the theme of the truck
Unity32.JPG

Unity36.JPG

Rot Box

Explorer
That's really cool! My friend had one on the roof of his Ford pickup and it was dubbed the "Quail" :elkgrin:

angusdevil

Adventurer
I was game for both mounts but the thing that made me go with the door mount was 1) I don't have to drill through my pillar. That pillar is where all of the overhead wiring runs and I have many things like antenna wires, speaker wire and switches up there. I have that pillar off all the tiem working on things and it would be another step it removing the pillar. 2) With the door, when you open the door, you can get a great range and coverage field.

The light is used mostly on the trail so having the flexability was key for me but as always, YMMV.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne