Nissan Patrol Y61 buildup

jpvm

Explorer
Hey there guys , here is something different. I bought this 2000 Y61 Nissan Patrol with 60K miles 4 years ago. Its a GL base model, stick , auto/manual locking front hubs and with only rear LSD, but wearing Nissans famed H260 rear diff and H233b front differential which are said to be immortal and close in size to a Dana 60. Engine is a gasoline in line 6 shoc 4.5 liter engine from Nissan, called TB45E. It has 205 Hp peak horsepower. This engine is still used nowadays in many large Forklifts !!! It has only 8.3:1 compression ratio so it can run on cheap fuel, although it is smog legal with cat.

Will forward photos asap.

Last edited:

jpvm

Explorer
This is how I bought the Patrol, just with aftermarket wheels and A/T 33" tires

dsc00072jo.jpg

This is to show the relative size of a standard Y61 compared to an ML320

img6478.jpg

Last edited:

jpvm

Explorer
The fist mod was an ARB roof rack (long version), since it is mandatory to keep the internal space for people (familiy with kids). Although it has 3 rows and a decent cargo space, more space for long travels (normally 5k to 6k miles every summer vacation) is always welcomed.

img6803z.jpg

Then I felt the 33" tires and general stance needed some extra height since the Y61 was rather long and low , many marginal roads need more clearance in this country .. this is an ARB 4" coil lift kit (4 longer coils , 4 longer OME shocks and caster bushings), not sofisticated but still efficient and very comfortable for the long run.

img7111.jpg

Last edited:

jpvm

Explorer
Then after installing the 4" lift kit (this Y61 can wear 33" tires without any lift) the 33" tires looked like small dimes , so I tested to run it with BFG AT/ 35" ...

img9742yh3.jpg

Months later I discovered that the rear wheels got loose after long trips , this was because the former owner put 15" wheels (this model comes with 16" wheels) that really didn't match the center bore of the axle end , so they got loose every thousand miles or so. One time I found on a trip, that only 1 bolt was tight and the 5 other were completely loose.... I bought new DC-1 wheels from ******** Cepek that changed the problem ...

img9749ue1.jpg

img9761pe2.jpg

Last edited:

jpvm

Explorer
Lurking at a Nissan dealer I found the rear combination lights of the newer 2002+ model (with clear turn signals) that matched it to give a refresh to ther rear end

img9870wf7.jpg

Then comes my pimp ages where I ended leaving the corners and flares in black like all standard GL models , thoser used by the UN blue helmets ....

img1063ga7.jpg

img1068or1.jpg

jpvm

Explorer
Then a couple of years later, came the ARB treatment (front bumper, IPF 900XS lights and Safari Snorkel) to finish the package, this is almost stock equipment to many Australian offroaders , this applies almost identical to Chile ...

img1927u.jpg

img1901v.jpg

img1909t.jpg

img1922rt.jpg

jpvm

Explorer
Then somebody wanted my AT tires used for a very good price and finished selling them. I wanted to try MT tires in same 35" size, but not agressive enough tires to make the complete package not highway friendly. This Y61 is no daily driver and it drives almost 80% of its life in gravel roads so it was a still not a bad idea to try some softcore MT tires. I read so many good things about Cooper STTs that I decided to give them a try ...

img2008c.jpg

img2009l.jpg

img2019vt.jpg

Last edited:

davidshourd

Adventurer
another amazing vehicle JP. I have always wants your White hardbody pickup, probably for 10 years now since I first saw it on 4x4parts.com web site. awesome mods and good looking! keep the pictures coming. thanks.

jpvm

Explorer
Some more details installed last year , like this OME steering stablizer

img3477mv1.jpg

DVD head unit and 2 TFT screens for the kids long haul

img4496d.jpg

GPS

img4497c.jpg

Complete rear spare tire (35" + wheel)

dsc04764u.jpg

Roof bag , weather tight

img5843.jpg

img5661e.jpg

This is the evolution 2006 - 2010

2006.jpg

2009.jpg

2006b.jpg

2009b.jpg

jpvm

Explorer
another amazing vehicle JP. I have always wants your White hardbody pickup, probably for 10 years now since I first saw it on 4x4parts.com web site. awesome mods and good looking! keep the pictures coming. thanks.

Hey David how are U ?? , thanks a lot for your comments, yes, that white V6 SASed Hardbody KC was my pride and joy and also my pain for years... I sold it just before I bought this Y61 you see here. Thanks man !!

jpvm

Explorer
Here are the last shots taken 2 days ago, on a trip down south of Chile (Patagonia) 600 miles away from here.

img6697r.jpg

img6754b.jpg

img6837t.jpg

img6834n.jpg

Last edited:

winkosmosis

Explorer
I've never seen this generation before. I love how the little details like the headlights and the clipped corners on the doors make it look futuristic

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Finally a Patrol build here on Expo!

Awesome truck JPVM...I would trade any of my trucks for it, maybe even several!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles