Personal biking history

Ridgewalker

Adventurer
I hope this thread doesn't bore anyone, but I have a little experience I would like to share.
Many years ago I lived in Texas and commuted by bike. I would ride by the Carling Beer brewery in 100 degree weather on my way home from work...STINK! Anyway I thought I was in pretty good shape, so a 55 year old uncle wanted me to go an a bike tour of the Texas Hill Country with him. I was moving to Colorado, so I agreed before leaving Texas (July 1978).
We loaded our panniers and took off for 8 days and 500+ miles through the Hill Country. You can imagine July temps of 105 (according to my thermometer on my down tube). We would stop at every little stream and jump in. Then back on our bikes for a little evaporative cooling. Great trip! Tougher than any backpacking trip I have been on (including a 2 day by myself trip for 56 miles total across the Weminuche Wilderness).
We use to go every year to Moab to mountain bike the trails for 10-14 days in May. Finally quit when I did an endo still 7 miles from the vehicles and severed all 4 tendons of my right rotator. We saw it over 100 degrees; 40 mph winds; rain turning to sleet turning to a dusting of snow; and everything in between. But we never did the White Rim Trail. I want to before I am too old (not long).
We bike toured with the Colorado Mountain Club through the Loire Valley of France; along the Normandy coast on the 50th anniversary of D-Day; south of Amsterdam to Brussels and into Germany; Tuscany, Italy; Tasmania; and the south island of New Zealand.
Great times. Wonderful life. Memories no one can take away.
I highly recommend you spend your money on experiences and not possessions. They will be along for ever.
Thanks for letting me ramble!

mike h

Adventurer
Ridgewalker said:
I highly recommend you spend your money on experiences and not possessions.

that is some great advice! Too many people never think that way...

m.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles