Tire question

squam1

so, I'm likely going to replace my Toyo Open Countries (265/75/16) with something taller. They are all chopped up from prior alignment issues since fixed.

My real question is, for those running 285/75s or 255/85s, have you had any premature failures of things like cv joints, axles, tranny, etc etc.
Reason I ask is the tire installer is saying that I may have to sign a waiver if I go greater than 3% change in stock tire size.

I have the OME HD springs, so I know the tires will fit just fine, but they are contending that increasing the tire size this much (about 6.5%) will significantly degrade the life of the drivetrain. Wondering what others have experienced.
thanks in advance for your feedback!
Cheers

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Dude, i have 35x13.5R15 Toyo M/t's, 180,000 miles and I rock crawl this truck. It has never broken an axle or trans or anything, they are just protecting their asses because most trucks will break parts when you go with bigger rubber especially jeeps which are most common for lifts and big tires. But Monteros are a different breed, they were engineered to be off road race trucks so they are a bit more durable than your typical SUV.

squam1

thanks for the reply. I figured they were just being overly cautious. I'm likely going for the Goodyear Dura Tracs in that size. seems like a good, aggressive tire with decent road manners (from what I've read).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles