Tripping without a plan, summer 2010

J-man

Adventurer
Great stories & good looking heeler you have. Mine too is a little nutz in the car, but once rolling settles down. Good times...

T

twisted63

Great pics and I really enjoy your writing! Thanks for sharing it :bike_rider:

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
Awsome reading, and great pics!!

My favorite trips are either spontaneous or loosley planned. Best way to go for me!:coffeedrink:

suntinez

Explorer
12,000 miles and 24 states!

Great trip! But seeing those figures, it looks more like an expedition to me!

I wonder how long did it take.

I was gone from Jul 6 to Sep 12, was a long one. Tons of fun though.

Thanks for the replies everyone, sorting through the pics to make some sense of it all has been interesting. Learning more about what I saw now. :)

suntinez

Explorer
trek to WY

Oh wait … no plan B.

I finally connect again with Dan at Overland Vans … my waffling has cost me. After years, he’s selling the company - in less than a week. He’s busy packing up a shipping container for the new owner, it’s all moving to Calgary, Alberta.

He’s going to go live fulltime on a boat, and we chat for awhile, I’m happy for him. Such a nice guy, he’ll still sell me the kit but he wouldn’t be able to install it and there’s a couple little bits that he would need to get for me.

I did find out that somewhere out there is another Tiger (XL version, AWD) with his 4” kit on it. And he tells me about the full 4x4 conversion they’ve been working on. Maybe I should wait for that? The first customer is already lined up and ready, I could be second. Hey hey hey, this is a whole new can of worms. Possibly a fun can though. We leave it open, I tell him I’ll let him know before he ships his container.

There’s a shindig in WY this weekend. So I proceed that way at high speed, after getting details from KC about the drive, and lack of gas on the way. It’s late so I gotta stop – somewhere. Pull into Rye Patch Reservoir near Lovelock NV. It’s nice enough and right off the highway, perfect.

The wind about knocked me over at the sign-in kiosk, at least 50+ mph and I’m wondering if I can pop the top in this. But it’s a big place and I drive around, there are definitely pockets where the wind is easier, so I go ahead and register. Lots of folks here for the fishing, but I find a decent spot. The winds die down and the skeeters come up. OK, I can deal with this - we’re not going anywhere, just sleeping.

A quick shower and a hilarious run back to the campsite – swatting at voracious flying critters the whole way. Didn’t bring the bug juice to the shower. Live and learn. I was slapping myself on the head, arms and legs, in the face, feeling pretty silly. I wound up putting one of the plastic grocery bags from my shower bag over my head just to make it back to camp. Whatever! I’ll never see these people again in my life. Hopefully. They’ll never recognize me anyhow.

Feed my pup, a little reading and into bed. Full vent mode, cause it’s hot out. I have screens, not worried. I sprayed the screens. Except there are these little bitty fliers that get through the screens. I’d noticed a few landing on my book while I was reading, but no skeeters.

Middle of the night and Pepper is pushing me over, trying to bury her nose under my back. Half asleep, I’m trying to assert my right to at least part of the bed, but she’s not budging. Now I’m choking on them! Ugh.

I seriously can’t get a breath in, make a graceful exit from the bunk (hey it’s my story) and turn on a light. Yep, it’s a swarm - all around the top of my house. We both dash outside, I guess we’re awake now. A rapid breakdown and we’re off, all windows open. Four hours is enough sleep for a 700 mile trek, right?

A mind-numbing drive, had my first (and second) energy drink in my life on this leg, and arrive weird and wired. So I guess they work, but I won't be doing that again!

I meet up with KC and Mia and family, who were going camping for the weekend. I’d never seen his FWC before, even though we’d camped together a couple times. After all, his FWC review thread was the one that got me to stop lurking on this site. He spins a great tale. He recently did some mods to it and was dialing in the details of the new setup, and sleeping 4 in there. So I’m happy to have this view in front of me:

1-followingKC.jpg

Scouted out a campsite on the Fort Stambaugh loop before heading over to the shindig, this seems nice:

campsite.jpg

2-campsiterd.jpg

Down several miles of dirt and we arrive at South Pass City. It’s a tiny town, miniscule in fact.

3-SPCsign.jpg

suntinez

Explorer
South Pass City, WY

Did they import all these people?

The town has pulled out all the stops for the big event, their “Gold Rush Days” celebration. I’d seen some of this stuff being trucked in on the highway the day before.

And why did the folks who built this place come here? Why gold, of course …

Stamp mill, used for squashing rock to get the gold:
stampmill.jpg

It’d be a whole different kind of roadtrip in one of these:
3B-spctransportation.jpg

Blacksmith demo, we got nails to take home. I have new appreciation for being able to buy them by the pound now. In frontier days if you wanted to build a house, you ordered your hand forged nails at least six months in advance. That’s sobering.

3Dblacksmithdemo.jpg

Marbles, one reason the general store was so popular. And ice cream.

3D-marbles.jpg

Gold panning demo:
goldpanning.jpg

suntinez

Explorer
Oregon Trail camping

There’s fireworks scheduled at dusk, but it’s summer and the days are long up here. So we decide to head back to camp for dinner and a nice fire. Here’s the view from our campsite with the Oregon Buttes range in the background, in the heart of Oregon Trails country. Anyone remember the 80s vintage Oregon Trails game on the old Apple computers?

4B-oregonbuttes.jpg

And our camp, thanks for this pic KC:
tonifwc.jpg

Later on we could see fireworks as a backdrop to our fire. That doesn’t happen every day, and from what we could tell from a distance they were pretty amazing. Wasn’t expecting anything that grand from such a tiny town, it must’ve gone on for at least a ½ hour.

4A-campfireshot.jpg

We drove back on dirt the next day via Louis Lake Rd. Beautiful scenery and some lake play for Pep.

5-KCinthelead.jpg

5b-waytolousilake.jpg

LouisLake.jpg

It started raining and the kids were pooped, so we cut things short and went back.

suntinez

Explorer
north thru WY

I headed back up the lush canyon we’d been down for a little more poking around. The Popo Agie is a powerful river, swollen this year by heavy snows – enough that it flooded the town during the spring melt.

These are the “sinks” of the Popo Agie river:

6a-sinks.jpg

All the water disappears into this cave and emerges only a ¼ mile downhill at the “rise” – after 2 hours! The cave mouth closes off quickly and it seeps through tiny cracks in the rock. One day I guess the water will win, it usually does.

Campsite next to the river, so loud. And peaceful, who doesn’t like the sound of rushing water?
6b-campsiteview.jpg

Took a walk and tried to get Pepper to cross this little suspension bridge to the nature trail on the other side. It sways quite a bit, and rushing river below. No way, she wasn’t having any of it. Halfway across, she laid down and wouldn’t get up. I had to carry her back.
6c-suspensionbridge.jpg

I wanted to see more of WY and I was drawn north. I had a sort of an idea to keep heading north to see the aurora borealis. Even though it’s the wrong season I bookmarked the forecast links on the laptop, and packed the longjohns. So north I go, this is Wind River Canyon:
7-windrivercyn.jpg

Thermopolis, I just had to stop here – can't resist the “world’s largest hot springs”.

Thermopolis.jpg

East of Worland and north/east of Greybull, I discovered mountains I didn’t know about. The Big Horn mountains are amazing. This is gonna be fun!

bighornmtns.jpg

hwy14.jpg

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Keep it coming! We're enjoying watching your tale unfold.

The Popo Agie sink looks like some ancient passageway to the Underworld.

BEVAN

Adventurer
Bodie is a historic ghost town, now a state park. I came in on Bodie Rd (route 270) which is an easy dirt road. A little washboardy in places but nothing painful, there are several 4WD routes into the same place.

We got there early and it was mostly empty, by the time we left the parking lot was full. I could’ve spent all day here and not seen everything. I’ll bet the lighting at sunset is awesome, but anyhow here’s a few pics.

Bodie looking east:
11-bodie.jpg

I love that place, have'nt been there in 15 years but remember it well....I look forward to reading more.

suntinez

Explorer
Bighorn Mountains

Thanks ya'll! :elkgrin:

Before heading up the mountain, I give Dan at Overland Vans a call. I let him know that I’ll get the kit (one or the other :) )from the new owner after the transition, he shouldn't have to go out of his way for me in the middle pf packing it all up.

All across the country I learned that quilting is a national obsession, really I had no idea how popular it is. I saw so many signs in Greybull for quilting fairs, camps, competitions, sewing bees, you name it. So I stopped in Big Horn Quilts to take a peek, and was overwhelmed. Thousands of bolts of fabric, quilts, notions and all the things that go with this hobby. It turns out Big Horn Quilts is one of the largest supplier of quilting supplies in the country, quilters all along my way knew who they were. And I just wandered in …

bighornquilts.jpg

Back up the road, there are 3 scenic byways (US 14, 16, and 14a) through the Bighorn National Forest. The NF covers 80 mi. x 30 mi. of range and forestland, signs along the road tell the name and age of the various rock formations, some incredibly old formations with lots of fossils and dinosaur evidence.

Most of the non-locals I chatted with around here were heading to or from Yellowstone. A couple years ago I’d met up with Lance and crew, Mike, and Michael on their big CDE trip for the Yellowstone leg, and I definitely want to spend more time there. But not in July. The way you find an elk in the middle of a summer day in Yellowstone is to watch for stopped cars. :(

Drive-thru nature like Yellowstone is always weird, especially when there’s all this pristine wilderness so nearby. The history, land, vistas, abundance of wildlife here, along with the near total absence of people, is much more appealing.

I bet this area is nearly impassable in winter, and probably well into spring. Everywhere along the roads are snowmobile trails, snowmobile parking and snowplow warning signs. And the tilted snow fences to manage snowdrifts are everywhere in WY.

Lots of folks out fishing:
DSC_0512.jpg

Range grazing:
WYsheep.jpg

Shell Falls, a 3600 gal/min waterfall flowing through pink and gray granite. Atop the granite sits 550 million year old sandstone which holds fossilized shells.
ShellFalls.jpg

Many CGs were full but Prune Creek had several openings and a few deer were wandering through.
muledeerbuckinAM.jpg

Then this moose came across the creek, grazing away.
moosesplash.jpg

Woah big boy, getting a little close!
moose.jpg

moosecrossing.jpg

I admit it, I was stalking the moose. He hung around for quite awhile.
moose2.jpg

suntinez

Explorer
Medicine Wheel, and a bit of MT

Near Bald Mountain CG is the Medicine Wheel Historic Landmark, a famous archaeological site and sacred place for native americans.

It’s a few miles on a good dirt road and then over a mile walk to get to the wheel. There was snow on the path, and beautiful views over the mountain. There’s no admission fee but donations are accepted. I think those involved with its preservation avoided a parking lot right next to the wheel to keep the traffic down. There weren’t a lot of folks there, so I guess it’s working. There’s a rope fence around the wheel and prayer offerings - feathers, ribbons and cloth tied to it.

medwheel.jpg

I only had the little camera with me, but saw this white wolf not far from the parking area:

whitewolf.jpg

And back near Bald Mountain CG, a couple of buck muledeers:

2buckmuledeer-1.jpg

Into MT
From 14 near Lovell, highway 37 leads to the Bighorn Canyon National Recreation Area, which is mostly in MT.

More stunning views here, towering cliffs over a beautiful river. Here’s a NPS photo looking down on Bighorn Lake:

20091230113945.JPG

More elk and deer, and then I came across this little fella.
He was about 3 feet long and I didn’t know what it was. It looked like a mink on steroids or something.
fishercat.jpg

So I asked around. I got his pic on the little camera, it was hard to see and the quality was poor, but someone told me it was a fisher. Didn’t help - I still didn’t know what that was.

He took my info and got in touch with MT FWP. I guess they’re rare in this part of MT. FWP has been in touch, they were interested in where I saw him, that was pretty cool.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles