Small Garage, Big Project

Tom Foolery

Adventurer
Very nice! Curious what the final weight is on it?

I haven't checked yet, the DMV guy wrote down 500lbs, but I'm guessing it's closer to 800lbs. I will post it when I find out, I'm curious about it as well. The law in California is that a trailer doesn't need brakes unless it is over 1500lbs, I'm sure I am not near that figure, but I could be wrong.

Last edited:

Token

Explorer
Just in case someone hasn't told you today.. You suck dude.. LOL..

GREAT BUILD... Makes mine look like a utility trailer by comparison.. Oh wait.. It is..

TacoDell

Adventurer
quality looking build... I'll give you that.

But looks too heavy for any real off road adventure...

What is your intended use for this ?

btw... your garage is really small... LoL

Zelix

Adventurer
Wow, great job on your trailer. I wished I had your fab skillz and clamps. I love your 'boxes'. I might borrow some of your design ideas.

I'm also a member of the Micro Garage Club. It makes it a challenge to work on anything. I actually work out on one of those canopy garage shelters. :ylsmoke:

Tom Foolery

Adventurer
Zelix wrote:

I might borrow some of your design ideas.

Feel free to Zelix, at the end of this thread I will post where I got everything from and the links to their sites. I followed a lot of trailers guys built on this forum and found it very helpful when people would include a link to where and what they used to build their trailers.

Tom Foolery

Adventurer
I finally got started on the trailers suspension after waiting for all the parts I ordered online to arrive. Originally I bought the standard 26" leaf springs,
shackles, and hangers that come with a 3500lbs axle. But after testing them out I found that they seemed too stiff. I also read a lot of comments from people here that suggested YJ, CJ, or Suzuki springs along with a set of shocks instead. I choose YJ Leafs and from there I order all the parts needed to complete the suspension.

image0101.jpg

image0111.jpg

image0121.jpg

Here you can see the difference between the standard leaf springs that you get when you order a axle kit. They are usually 26" long x 1-3/4" wide and the shackles and hangers are mass produced in China. The YJ leafs are 2-1/2" wide and 46" long +/- . After the YJ Leafs are compressed by the trailers weight I found that the ride height was just a inch taller.

image0131.jpg

image0141.jpg

Last edited:

Tom Foolery

Adventurer
My next step was to get my fenders going. Originally I bought a set of jeep styled fenders which were about 10" wide. After fitting them in with the way my trailer was turning out, I felt that the look wasn't right. So I contacted a friend that owed my a favor, and he had my fenders bent. I am really glad I did, because they brought the whole package together perfectly. The fenders are made out of 14 gauge steel. I decided to weld a back side on so I could mount them to the main box along with the side steps.

image0151.jpg

image0161.jpg

image0171.jpg

image0181.jpg

image0191.jpg

image0201.jpg

image0211.jpg

Last edited:

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
WOW!!!

That is sweet! When I saw the finished product on the first post, I thought: "Nice trailer! I wonder where he bought it?"

That is first class fabbing! You're going to be glad you went with the YJ springs, the ride will be much better.

I thought I had a small shop to work in, heck, you have a closet!:snorkel:

Very nice build!

Tom Foolery

Adventurer
After installing the trailer jack I was able to roll the project out of my small garage and get some elbow room when working.

image0221.jpg

image0231.jpg

image0241.jpg

image0251.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94