"Best" 4x4 conversion for a new E-350 passenger van

OffaRex

Observer
We recently completed a 2 week, 5000+ mile trip with six of us in a Dakota. Not surprisingly, we decided that a full size van is in our near-term future.

The plan is to buy a new RB E-350 V10 passenger van and have it converted to 4wd. It will be a daily driver but will also be used for driving on the beach and for overland trips.

The question is what are the strengths and weaknesses of the various conversions? Is there a "best" option?

- Sportsmobile (Will they do stand alone 4wd conversions?)
- Quigley
- Advanced 4x4
- UJoint
- QuadVan
- Boulder Offroad

Any others I am missing?

I am a competent shade tree mechanic, but I don't think even my sainted wife has the patience to wait until I got around to finishing the job. So, if I went with UJoint's kit, I would probably have someone install it for me.

I also like the 46 gal. fuel tank that Sportsmobile seems to offer. Is that something that could be added to the other options, say from Transfer Flow, or is it a Sportsmobile exclusive.

I've been digging around on the forum for a while and appreciate the great information that is available. But I would be grateful for anyone's specific thoughts about the differences/advantages/disadvantages of the various systems.

Thanks in advance.

dsw4x4

Adventurer
If you can search around and test drive every van you can before making a decision. First is to decide if you want coils or leafs both have their advantages and disadvantages. Every sales man will tell you theirs rocks and the others suck. If you can test drive and see what you like that will help you to make an informed decision.
A couple of things to keep in mind
If a company uses new superduty axles the van will have a much sharper turning radius this is accomplished with new axels because they use a more offset rim around the knuckle that puts the pivot point deeper in the rim creating better handling and a better scrub radius hence better handling and tighter turning. Personally I like coils they are cheaper and easier to tune to your liking. If your load changes a lot you can run air bags in them for cheap allowing adjust them daily if you feel the need.
newer axles also mean larger brakes I find the older axles with the smaller brakes are sufficent I pull a boat or a bronco in the mountains all the time with no issues on the older axles with smaller brakes but a lot of people will argue they are not enough for these heavy vans.
Derek

loren85022

Explorer
What are the considerations?

I would also think its essential to consider;

• Will van be doing serious off-roading?
  • Conversion cost?
  • Distance to conversion shop?

I would also think is worth looking at buying a used van that already has 4WD and getting the Sportsmobile mods. Unless I misread and you already own the van.

OffaRex

Observer
Thanks for the feedback so far.

We don't own the van yet. I am definitely open to buying a used van, but it seems like low mileage 4x4 passenger vans are difficult to find. I see some Sportsmobiles out there, but I don't want the RV conversion as the primary purpose will be people hauling. I need to haul 7 people on a regular basis and would like the option of adding a couple more on occasion. We are planning to get a 12 passenger RB van and leave the back seat out most of the time.

I'm always unsure how to answer the "serious off-roading" question. One person's serious off-roading is another's casual Sunday afternoon drive. The van will be used to drive on the beach at the Outer Banks, which requires 4wd, but no other serious capability. We also want to be able to do some trails in Utah and Colorado. For example, we did Mosquito Pass on our last trip through Colorado, and being able to do something like that without breaking a sweat is probably a minimum baseline.

I am, of course, concerned about costs, but we usually keep our vehicles for quite a while so I am OK spending a little more if the quality justifies it - within reason.

Trail Monkey

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0014
If you want the best, go sportsmobile.

If you want an inexpensive solution thats good. go ujoint..

dsw4x4

Adventurer
Mosquito pass and running the outer banks on the beach I would consider to be nothing serious. I used to live in Edgwater Md and would run my stock f350 4dr long bed diesel on the banks with out any issues. Sounds like reliability is pretty important to you. It seems like I find more low milage 4x4 vans on the east coast than out here in the west. Good luck with your search.
Derek

OffaRex

Observer
Yeah, reliability is pretty important. I have a British motorcycle for when I want an adventure with the added adrenaline rush of not knowing whether I will make it home.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
"Best" is subjective, that's for sure. All have their advantages/disadvantages, so I would recommend you consider how the van will be used over the next 5-10 years.

Also look at how you may improve or modify the van in the future. Some conversions won't allow larger tires/etc without major surgery. You may say now that you don't want larger tires, but we males have a problem with this!!!! We always want larger tires eventually!!!!!!

Building the van with accessories like lockers should be considered from the beginning, and will save you $$ in the long run.

Last edited:

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Sportsmobile will do just a 4wd conversion, and I would ONLY have SMB West to it as Alan & the guys came up with that conversion and do a great job (of course that is on the other coast from you!)
I love mine and wheel it pretty hard, have done some Moab trails, and just got back from 8 days in Colorado running the major trails along the Cont Divide.
Sand in Baja hasn't been a concern once you air down enough.

Of course cost is always an issue and I have heard great things about Chris & U-joint but like you said you will need a shop so do your research and get them involved from the start so everyone can work together and you will know your cost.

Transfer Flow makes the tank for Sportsmobile, not sure if either will sell you just the tank but it is worth asking of course.

I love having a limited slip in the rear so it is always ready to work and an air locker in front for when the sand is being mean.

Brakes can not be stressed enough, sure your passenger setup will weigh less than a RV style build but when you cram in 7 people & gear it is still heavy and these things are hard to stop. So build the biggest best brakes you can from the get go.

If you want to see more home builds check out sportsmobileforum.com

RocKrawler

Supporting Sponsor
My decision is based on the fact I am starting with a used van, and level of help I have received from the ones I have contacted, along with the future upgrade capability. For me, U-Joint has my vote. I have read from several on this board about how much help Chris has been, and talking to him he provides a level of service that is rare in this industry. From my 15+ years of experience in this industry I know that the reliability of the leaf spring package and ease of upgrading to a bigger setup without changing everything is a big selling point to me.

shawn_nj

Observer
I bought my 4x4 van for very similar reasons...beach driving. I went Quigley because I could easily go pick it up from them, and a got a good deal on a leftover. The van is unstoppable on the deep jersey sand, and it makes a good daily driver. A few of my friends also have high mile quigleys that have all been extremely reliable, and driven on the beach multiple times a week. It may not be the "best" or toughest 4x4 conversion but for my use, budget, and geographical location... it was the best choice for me. I very happy with my van.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
A vote for Advanced Four Wheel Drive

OK my 4WD ford van experience = 1 so take this as a vote of approval rather than a "mine is better than yours"

I have a 1996 E350 Club Wagon with 250,000 miles on an Advanced 4WD conversion. It is still tight on the steering with very little wander and the engineering looks well thought out. Mine survived being a BMW (big Mormon wagon) for 245,000 miles. Mostly in Alaska! It drives better than either my 94 sports mobile or the 96 turtletop I had. These were both under 1/2 the miles and coil spring front ends.

I would suggest that you stay clear of any East Coast 2nd hand 4wd vans as they may of had a lot of beach work and the rust associated with it. The ones I looked at over there were all eaten out.

If you were going to go new I would suggest Quigley purely for the location and link with Ford. If you do go 2nd hand make sure you talk to Ujoint before you go too far.

OffaRex

Observer
Thanks for all the feedback. As I knew when I asked the question, it isn't a matter of finding the one "best" conversion, but the best one for my needs/budget/location. It is very helpful hearing from folks with actual experience.

I like the fact that Quigley is only a couple of hours up the road, but I worry about capability and future upgradability. Of course, the van will be 95% daily driver, and even when I get off the pavement, I'm not nearly as hardcore as I like to imagine I am.

I'd be very interested in a low mileage used van to which I could add a ujoint conversion, but RB E350 passenger wagons seem rarer than a NAS Defender 110.

dsw4x4

Adventurer
If it helps any, I am building a suspension system for quiglys. it will allow you to upgrade to longer control arms, johnny joints, lift etc etc...
Derek

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles