Onboard air

BobA

Adventurer
I'm looking to get a air setup on my jeep tj. something that can fit inside on the rear wheelwell. Cheaper the better but want a quality one also.
Whats everyone using and how do you like them? Thanks.

Explorer
I use the high output ARB compressor. It lacks the performance of some, but it comes with great instructions and a very complete wiring harness that is ready for front and rear air lockers.

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
Cheaper the better but want a quality one also.

^^Don't find that to often:snorkel:^^

I like the speed of Kilby OBA, but it's pricey, and you have to mount the compressor under the hood (belt driven from the engine)

VIAR has a nice set up, that will fit in the back of a TJ. Add a tank somewhere (underneath, behind the seat, etc) and you can run most air tools.

Just need it for airing up tires?

I use a small 2 gallon, 110V compressor, run off my 400W inverter.
Works great for airing up, blowing dust out of filters, radios, etc. And also works great for air mattress' and pool toys!

Plus, you can run power tools off the inverter:elkgrin:

I picked up the compressor for $40 on sale, and had the inverter already, so I got away pretty cheap.

02TahoeMD

Explorer
I have a Viair system that is a hand me down from my brother in law. It has been in service for 3 years now, mounted externally on both of our rigs with no problems. It is small enough to fit in your Jeep easily.

BobA

Adventurer
Never thought of a little compressor off a invertor.... Been wanting a stronger better battery and an inverter for awhile now. What brand compressor is yours? How large is it?

corax

Explorer
The older Harbor Freight 12V compressor was actually put together rather well. I got a bit of a boost out of mine by taking 30 minutes to port the head and rewire it to take the switch out and use 12 gauge wire for the power lead (clicky) If you look to get one though, be sure that it doesn't have plastic on the outsie of the cylinder head - that version isn't so good.

Also look into the Superflow MV-50 and a cheaper alternative with a good track record

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
Never thought of a little compressor off a invertor.... Been wanting a stronger better battery and an inverter for awhile now. What brand compressor is yours? How large is it?

It's a 2 gallon, oiless.

Don't recall the brand, got it at Menards (big box home improvement store)

The oiless ones are cheap, $40-$70, but they don't last more than a few years, especially in dusty conditions.

Mine is still good for using my finishing nail gun (original intended use) but for airing up Jeep tires after airing down, it's now pretty slow.

When new, it took well under 2 minutes to fill each tire (33x12.5-15, from 8psi to 30psi)

Now it takes about 5 minutes for each tire:snorkel: But it did last 4 years and 2 Jeeps:ylsmoke:

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
As you know we specialize in high quality equipment, so cheaper it won't be. We do however offer all the parts needed to hook up your system, such as snap on fittings, DOT air line, bulk heat connectors, 90' elbows, 3 way unions, pressure valves, blow off valves etc.

If you draw up a schematic we can provide all the hardware parts needed.

esh

Explorer
Take a look at PacBrake compressors. Same as the ExtremeAire at nearly half the price.

Ruined Adventures

Brenton Cooper
junkyard Cadillac compressor

I found this pretty interesting:
http://www.robinhood4x4.com/compressors.htm

"So how long does it take to fill up the tank and fill up the tires?
Tire, (1) 32x11.5 inch Pirelli Scorpion AT :
It takes 5 mins to fill from 10 PSI to 32 PSI."

For $20-30 bucks I'd say that works well enough...hopefully you're not in a hurry though!

toy_tek

Adventurer
Also look into the Superflow MV-50 and a cheaper alternative with a good track record

That will work for a little while. Then it will blow up like most of them. I replaced the reed valve on mine after about a year, and another year later it quit again and I gave up on it.

My old school ARB RDCKA is permanently mounted and gets the job done.

theksmith

Explorer
That will work for a little while. Then it will blow up like most of them. I replaced the reed valve on mine after about a year, and another year later it quit again and I gave up on it.

My old school ARB RDCKA is permanently mounted and gets the job done.

i'll second the mv-50 from pep-boys, costco, or amazon, for 50 bucks. i had one for several years and it got slower but never died. i currently have 2 new ones permanently mounted, and even when they die, that was dual compressors for 100 bucks.

when they do die, i am looking at the dc-7500 from here: http://www.airbagit.com/v/vspfiles/pages/AirCompressor_PAGE.html

Tacoma4life

I have not done this, but apparently you can build a system using a compressor from a salvage yard Cadillac. I thought yotatech had a writeup, but I can't seem to find it.

O

oO_Rogue_Oo

Vi-Air 400; got mine for $190 shipped to my door. It's rated at 33% duty cycle but will run for over an hour continuously (more than long enough to fill 4 tires) is rated at over 2 cfm is oil-less so can be mounted in almost any position and is very compact

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles