4Runner Pulling Left Under Acceleration

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
Isn't 2004 all wheel drive?

Can't you swtich to 2wd?

Might be regular old Torque steer like a front wheel drive gets.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
The 4th Generation/current "V8" 4Runners are full-time all-wheel-drive, no 2WD mode. V6 models have 2WD.

Grim Reaper said:
Isn't 2004 all wheel drive?

Can't you swtich to 2wd?

Might be regular old Torque steer like a front wheel drive gets.

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Fixed :)

I took my 4Runner into Discount Tire this morning. They swapped the two front tires and the torque steering pulled to the right instead of the original left pull. They replaced the right front tire with a new one. It still pulled to the right but not as much.

My tires are not evenly worn. All four tires have been purchased or replaced at different times so the tread wear is not perfectly consistent. They then rotated a fairly new tire from the back to the front so both front tires were closely matched in tread wear. Problem resolved. No more torque steering. :wings:

Even though they replaced one of my tires as defective, I believe the pulling was more a result of 4Runner's four wheel drive sensitivity to different tread wear across the two front tires. The one thing that I still can't get my brain around is it pulled in the direction of the new tire (newest tread) which would be slightly larger in diameter. I would expect the larger tire to "push" the steering in the opposite direction?? But that clearly was not the case.

Bottom line, with matched new tires on the front, no more torque steering problem. I’m a happy camper now and good to go find more abuse. :jumping:

heeltoe989

Explorer
Tucson T4R said:
I took my 4Runner into Discount Tire this morning. They swapped the two front tires and the torque steering pulled to the right instead of the original left pull. They replaced the right front tire with a new one. It still pulled to the right but not as much.

My tires are not evenly worn. All four tires have been purchased or replaced at different times so the tread wear is not perfectly consistent. They then rotated a fairly new tire from the back to the front so both front tires were closely matched in tread wear. Problem resolved. No more torque steering. :wings:

Even though they replaced one of my tires as defective, I believe the pulling was more a result of 4Runner's four wheel drive sensitivity to different tread wear across the two front tires. The one thing that I still can't get my brain around is it pulled in the direction of the new tire (newest tread) which would be slightly larger in diameter. I would expect the larger tire to "push" the steering in the opposite direction?? But that clearly was not the case.

Bottom line, with matched new tires on the front, no more torque steering problem. I’m a happy camper now and good to go find more abuse. :jumping:

Wicked, glad we could all help you out! thats what the forum is all about.

strap22

Observer
My '04 V8 did the same thing after rotating. Tire wear on an all-wheel drive 4Runner is very sensitive. I had a hard time believing that was it but after going thru the same items you check and a few more the rotation fixed it. Tier pressure will also cause this. As little as 1/2 pound difference is noticable. IMHO. Glad you got yours fixed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior