4Runner remote rear toytect and traction control issues...

XCRunner200U

Hello everyone,

New to the overland scene and recently was able to rent a 4Runner from an outfit in Denver. It was my 1st introduction to overloading and my family and I drove over to Ouray and did the alpine loop and several of the other trails in that area. What an amazing experience it was! It has really inspired us to start doing stuff more often, hopefully someday soon with our own vehicle. The 4Runner came with a toytect lift with remote rear reservoir and several other nice upgraded components.

Sorry for the long story...
I noticed on the 1st day with the vehicle that the right rear seemed to be resting much lower than the left side. Not being in cell service and not being familiar with the vehicle I was unable to verify that this was not normal, I just figured it was because we were on uneven ground when we parked. I noticed no unusual noises or had any bumps that would have led me to believe there was anything wrong, that is until we aired back up to start the long drive back to Denver. At 65mph a nasty shimmy started, at first I thought it was a tire pressure issue but all that checked ok, then I figured it must have been that I threw a balance weight. So we took our time and kept the speed down all the way back.
I mentioned the issues to the owner of the company when we got back and he didn't seem to worried about it and said they would look things over. Well unfortunately today I was notified that things were not ok, apparently there is something fairly seriously wrong with the rear suspension. He took it over to his mechanic and got the alinement checked and the tires rebalance. Then from the sounds of things, they started to have issues with the traction control. He mentioned something about lights on the dash and the multi terrain select system indicating that it was unavailable. When we dropped off the vehicle the only light that was on was the tmps light and it was a known issue. He said he was told it might be being caused from a sensor in the system that it not happy with the lean of the vehicle because of the suspension sag. He said that he was going to get a hold of toytec and have them look things over and that we might be looking at paying for rebuild of the broken parts. He also said that it could have been cause by extreme articulation of the suspension that cause oil or air to leak out and that a simple refill could fix things.

I honestly do not think that the guy is trying to pull one over on us, they were great to work with. What I am struggling with is that there were no lights or faults on while we were on the trail or when we dropped it off. The various tech goodies worked off road and didn't have any issues. We really did try to take care of the vehicle while we were out there and we did no extreme off roading. Sure we might have got a little flexed out but there was no unusual nosies that occurred while that was going on and we never really went fast enough or hit anything that would have caused this. Is this maybe a known issue with the toytec suspension or is there something I might be able to point them towards to look at with the suspension? What about the fact that there are issues now with the traction control systems, anything I can have them try to look at? To me it seems like something got messed up by the shop somewhere along the line.

Anything that you guys could provide would be much appreciated, I'm trying to get back as much as I can of my security deposit.

Thanks so much,

Runner

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman