4WD Not Dis-Engaging. Is it Safe to Drive on Hard Surfaces?

nnamssorxela

Adventurer
If it is still engaged and you've only tried backing it straight up and down the driveway, try turning the wheel and driving forward. This seems to be the trick for any 4wd car I've come across.

DanielDD

Vehicle Masochist
Interesting development this afternoon. After arriving home from work, I jumped in the Montero and decided to try and see if I could drive the vehicle in reverse to clear the issue. To my surprise, when I started the vehicle, the flashing lights had ceased! So, I drove it around for awhile in 2wd, pulled into the school parking lot and proceeded to put it in 4Hi. Now, the symptoms have changed. It failed to initiate 4Hi as the indicators were now flashing, but quit once I put it back in 2wd. After several attempts at this, it finally went into 4Hi, but again started blinking trying to go back to 2wd.

My take away is the 4wd system hasn't been used in quite some time and needs exercising to work properly. This weekend I will attempt to pull back the bellows covering the actuator and clean it and re-grease the actuator. Not saying this is the issue, but I am confident it is not a hard fault, but rather an intermittent one that may be easily fixed.

Thank you all for your insightful feedback! :ylsmoke:

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
Sounds like the transfer case shifter is your problem as previously mentioned.

Diagnosis from Dr. Arm Chair ASE

evomaki

Observer
These are all known issues, both the shifter ball and the vacuum solenoids which engage an actuator in the front diff to connect the halfshafts to the front driveshaft, well technically the diff. Those solenoids are prone to fail but are also simple to replace. I'm with Salonika. My guess is that if the 4wd shifter actually moves then the issue is with the solenoid. They are located on the passenger fender well in the engine bay, partially obscured by the intake tubing. Just cruise your steed around in 2wd for a bit. You need to break that engine in some anyhow. Then solenoids. when you are ready (decently easy) and likely shifter ball at some point down the road.

Swank Force One

Adventurer
My front diff lights flashed at me the entire day last time i went to the offroad park. Front diff was definitely engaged.

What drives the lights themselves?

evomaki

Observer
There is a tiny normally open switch in the front diff assembly, with two tiny wires heading out of it. It closes when the front end goes into 4wd. My guess is that the dash light looks to see if the vehicle is in 4wd (transfer case) and then looks to have the switch closed or you get the blinking light. I put 4.90's from a Sport in my vehicle. It does not have that vacuum system on the front end. Hubs just spin the front driveshaft in 2wd. So no switch. I routed the wires back up my passenger fender well. Now mine blinks in 4wd unless I open the hood and twist the wires together. That is a bootleg solution. I bet SFO has some opening in this light circuit. Switch, or wire damaged.

plh

Explorer
Could actually be engaging to 4HI and out to 2WD being most of the system is mechanical, and the sensors that turn on the lights need exercising, cleaning or replacing.

DirtyDC05

Adventurer
Check the vacuum line on the driver side of the intake manifold . It's a small 1/4" line I think . Goes directly to the solenoid on differential.

DanielDD

Vehicle Masochist
Did you ever get this remedied?

If you are referencing me, then I indicated earlier that I had no further problems with it going into and out of 4WD the more I exercised it. Furthermore, I have divested myself of the vehicle entirely as I have sold it to someone locally who can appreciate it for what it is and I have freed up my shop for my SL500.

I must say that even though I didn't have a lot of seat time in the Montero, I did enjoy it for the short time I had it on the road. I completely rebuilt the engine over the course of a year and that in itself was an enjoyable venture. I would have kept the vehicle, but I simply cannot leave well enough alone. I was looking to add new larger tires, rework the suspension and get the hood and roof painted. Knowing that there would be another $2000-$3000 investment in the Montero to get it where I really wanted it no longer made good financial sense as I typically don't hold on to vehicles for any significant length of time. Furthermore, I recently had neck surgery which prevented me from doing additional maintenance on the Montero and I didn't want the SUV to sit for 3-4 months until I was physically able to tend to its needs. The new owner is happy to have it and it will be used as an offroad vehicle on his land.

Perfect..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior