4x4 HI LIGHT FLASHING

zolo

Explorer
So my 2006 Tacoma, has developed a very strange and annoying problem. The 4x4 Hi light will start flashing for no reason. out of no were it comes on the 4x4 doent work then it goes off and it works agian. Also the clutch cancel doesnt work. it will sart in gear.
Ive tested the t-case actuator,
replaced the 4x4 ECU, 4x4 dash switch as well as the clutch cancel switch.
Im running out of options.
Has anyone had a similar problem and did you find a fix? The rig is 5000 miles out of warranty. So toyota cant help. Ive scanned it with a snap-on scanner and nothing comes up. Ive got nothing. need to find a fix.
Thanks
This is a 2.7 5spd without the rear locker just basic 4x4 and it has not be changed Ive owned it since new. Never wrecked. Very well mantained.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
I had a strange issue with the HVAC (temp selector dials, and A/C on-off buttons) controls awhile back... they just stopped working, no lights nothing...

Then, they just started working again, no problems since.

I'm really surprised yours isn't throwing any codes... did you disconnect the battery and then re-connect it?

FWIW, some say that "resetting" it sometimes clears up annoying electronic Gremlins.

zolo

Explorer
yeah

Yeah this is a very strange problem. I have dissconnected my main battery. I have tried everything. Scanned it myself, Toyota scanned it while the light was flashing and neither myself or Toyota could pull a code.
Ive replaced just about the whole system and tested the t-case actuator motor and detent switches. as well as the clutch cancel switches.
Im all confused. Its killing me
Ive changed the rig some but nothing electrical. I added my second battery its isolated from the main system and runs my second fuse panel. The rest is just suspension, bumpers etc. same old stuff everyone does nothing crazy.

nvprospector

Adventurer
Don't know if you already checked but did you check the Hi/Lo relay or the Hi/Lo indicator switches which are located on the T-Case? I would also be checking for a broken wire or bad connector to the indicator switches going to the ECU.

zolo

Explorer
I have tested the HI/lo t-case switches at the case. as for this relay you speak of. No were is it?
Everything seems to be run through the 4x4 ECU, The beep and click sounds associated with turning the 4x4 off and on. It runs to the 4x4 ECU, witch has been replaced.
Im going to test the front diff?half shaft actuator today. we will see what happens. Then I am going to chase wires. We will se what happens agian.

nvprospector

Adventurer
zolo said:
I have tested the HI/lo t-case switches at the case. as for this relay you speak of. No were is it?

My bad! I forgot the accuator is the relay. OPPS.

I am still leaning towards bad wiring or plug. Maybe a loss ground.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior