Mombasa RTT 3 man tent problem

Smksignals

Explorer
I purchased a Mombasa 3 man tent a couple of months ago and am literally at my wits end with it.

The two channels of the tent halves ,where they meet when the tent is opened, barely touch. They do not fully mesh into each other. When I climb into the tent, the ladder side of the tent pops out of the channel and the entire half of the tent sags 1/4 to 1/2 an inch and is only being held up by the end brackets. I have it on my trailer with 3 Yakima bars for support, so the tent is not flexing. Its seems like its not opening all the way and letting the center channels interlock with each other.

As anyone else ran into this problem? I dont know what to do. This is very discouraging...

- Kurt

compactcamping

Explorer
Kurt, From what I've seen this isn't a normally problem, but I have seen it before.

The hinges have a some adjustment in them. Start on the half that folds open, loosen the bolts holding the hinge to the platform some. Push the hinge towards the door end and retighten. If there is still too much gap, do the same to the other side.

If this doesn't work let me know.

Token

Explorer
Also make sure the tent is fully open BEFORE you set the ladder.. The first time I tool mine out I sat the ladder and let it support the full weight of the tent.. Had the gap and the halves came apart like you described.. Next night I fully opened the tent and let the halves settle together well before setting the ladder for support.

Smksignals

Explorer
Scott, thank you for the suggestion. I will try this tomorrow and let you know !!

Thank you also Rob. Funny thing is it just doesn't 'open' all the way. I have to really push down on the ladder side to get the channels even close to each other. Because the material is so taunt, the ladder half of the tent just lifts itself back up, creating a distance between the channels.

cnskate

Adventurer
If the fabric is too tight that is a problem. You might double check that the tent is installed into the top grove of the base on both sides when it opens. The bottom groove is for the changing room. Otherwise, maybe the tent fabric was cut too short? good luck

Errant

Explorer
Mine doesn't open entirely flat, but I just figured that's because it's new and that the fabric and webbing might eventually stretch. I've not seen it as a problem really, and would rather it open a bit short rather than too far. But I wonder if adjusting the hinges, as Scott suggested, to get the channel to meet up with the other side will help with the condesation that collects under the mattress right there?

There's only about a 2" gap right now. I'll try to get a picture of it on my next outing. For now, I think you can see that it's not entirely level by looking at this picture:
web.jpg

OffaRex

Observer
I have the same problem with my Mombasa 3 man RTT, though it doesn't seem to be quite as bad as yours. I open the tent, hang on the outboard edge to seat the channel as firmly as possible, and just set the ladder on the ground rather than preloading it at all. The channel still pops out occasionally.

Thanks Scott for the tip about adjusting the hinge. Mine is close enough that a minor adjustment might do the trick.

Smksignals

Explorer
So did adjusting the hinges resolve the problem?

Scott, sorry I did not post back here sooner. I didnt get to it until the other night. I was able to loosen the brackets mounted to the floor. That half did move into the channel a bit further. I also added about an inch of slack to the straps that run the length of the tent on the inside. I think these were to tight and not letting the ladder half of the tent open completely.

I am leaving in about an hour for an overnighter. I will report back here and let you know how the tent did.

Thanks again !!!

Smksignals

Explorer
Well the tent worked great last Sat night. I think adjusting the floor brackets on the ladder side, and adding an inch more of slack to the interior straps inside did the trick. The tent now settles almost all the way into the channel underneath, and did not pop out at all. I am going out for another overnighter prior to my Mojave Rd trip and will see how she does again.

Thanks for the help. I appreciate it

Ash7344

guess i will have to adjust mine also! Im only about a 1/2 inch from being totally locked into the channel and being level. Not to change the subject but did you guys drill another set of holes in the ladder to lock the ladder when you have the tent set up to hold the ladder in position?

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
... Not to change the subject but did you guys drill another set of holes in the ladder to lock the ladder when you have the tent set up to hold the ladder in position?

Yes, drill them for your height. I also drill mine to lock closed as well as have added a couple of others in case the ground is higher or lower than the truck.

Ash7344

going to put maybe three sets of holes and make my adjustments tomorrow if the weather holds out. Also adding the first pic of my trailer to the forums. Pic sucks because it was taken with my cell phone. Thanks again to all!

Attachments

• trailerfinished2.jpg
    trailerfinished2.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 80

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior