ARB 4x4 LED Adventure Light

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
I have the older florescent ARB adventure light and have been considering their newer LED light due to the florescent's incredible ability to attract bugs.

For anyone who has this newer light, how well does it light your camp?

How well does it not attract bugs?

Sirocco

Explorer
I have the LED. Cant say I have noticed bugs as such, but then they are less of a nuisance here in the UK.

We find the light super bright and functional, almost sterile. which detracts from the ambiance I guess, but a Coleman lantern soon brings that back.

I would also imagine the LED draws less amps, but i am unsure on this.

was anyone else put off by the cheap in line switch and cig lighter end? I was a little disapointed that it was so well built then let down by these 2 key features.

hmmmm...

G

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
Well, I wonder if the plug and switch are better on the florescent. I really like everything about the florescent other than 1) too bright for ambiance (you're right about that), 2) attracts bugs like a bear to honey.

Anyone else know about the bug performance? Beuller? Beuller?

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Interesting insight in the bug thing. Does it actually make a difference for bugs between it being flourescent versus LED?

I'm wondering if it still has the plastic hook at the end like the fluorescent one? Mine broke off from simply being stored in my tool bag. :Wow1: pretty disappointing really.

That said the light still lights up but the easily broken part makes me think twice before buying another ARB light unless this has been redesigned since I do use that hook.

Last edited:

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I have the ARB LED light and love it to death....
No real notice on the bug thing...I also have a floro light that did attract bugs so maybe the LED is better after all.

It has a hook on the end and along the back of the bulbs so it can hang horizontal or vertical.
I think the plug and swith are just fine and I don't baby my stuff at all and there have been no issues.

I don't use the carry bag or anything, just coil the cord around the light and stash in the upper shelf of the Sportsmobile.

ARB stuff always seems top notch and I expect this light to last for decades.

wjeeper

I have noticed that the headlights on my jeep seem to attract more bugs than the LED set up I have in and around the perimeter of my RTT. The LED's still attract a few bugs but not nearly as many as the headlights. The florescent lights in the family motorhome and propane lanterns were always bug magnets!

I wonder if LED's produce less infrared light (or maybe even not even at all?) or if it has more to do with the wavelength of the light that make them more "invisible" to bugs.

Guess the real test would be to stick an LED, incandescent and a florescent in the same area and see which had the most bugs on it by the end of the night..............

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
LEDs have a narrower spectrum and therefore don't attract as many bugs. But, I have several LED headlamps and my brightest and favorite attracts a lot more bugs than most people's LED headlamps. It may produce a different light, or maybe it's just because it's really bright. So, that's why I was asking.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Been using mine since they landed stateside, a great improvement over what was already a good light. The previous Adventure light was prone to bulb failure, don't get me wrong no more than any other light bulb but with the LED's that is a thing of the past.

MJCake1

I have the older florescent ARB adventure light and have been considering their newer LED light due to the florescent's incredible ability to attract bugs.

For anyone who has this newer light, how well does it light your camp?

How well does it not attract bugs?
I have the led version and it attracts NO BUGS! Because it won't light up;-{
POS!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94