'10 Tundra CrewMax

zidaro

Explorer
and..... a lil tech.

trick passed down to me from an old seasoned crusty Baja FOG

for those times your want your tire beads to stick in place, but can't afford to run beadlocks, or just do it to the rear bead surface on beadlock wheels. Really improves the grip of the tire bead to the wheels inner bead lip

Sledge and a chisel. I like to hit at an angle to pull a nice lil roll up that catches the bead well. You know it works when your trying to remove the tire after having done this.
Great extra tiny piece of mind when running lower pressures.

IMG_6425_zpsl6fcufxv.jpg

IMG_6424_zpsqbmfvlj3.jpg

rruff

Explorer
Making serious progress! Can't wait to see it finished.

Are you still going to box the wimpy rear of the frame?

zidaro

Explorer
Making serious progress! Can't wait to see it finished.

Are you still going to box the wimpy rear of the frame?

plan to. but first i want it on wheels. Snow is forecasted this weekend in a big way, up to 5" water- thats up to 5feet. My truck in the driveway on blocks is a bad thing if that happens.
So, id like to wrap up the basics over next few days- front suspension installed and working, aligned. Rear suspension installed, cycled with shocks installed in proper location and working.
What i will have left will be mostly reared work. Front suspension will only need the bump stops installed. Rear will need airbags relocated, as that is the place i want the bump stops. Bumpstops mounted. Plate the inner c-channel- this may be full plating, or just some gusseting and additional crossmember bracing to strengthen the areas around the bumps, bags, and shocks.

Then i get to tune the ride. :) the whole point of bypasses and hydrobumps :)
Oh yeah- and build a front bumper

Adventurous

Explorer
Have a chance to pull the diff drop yet? I keep checking back to see if that was the culprit, for some reason I really want to know if that alleviates your problems. :sombrero:

zidaro

Explorer
Have a chance to pull the diff drop yet? I keep checking back to see if that was the culprit, for some reason I really want to know if that alleviates your problems. :sombrero:

TODAY!!!! back under the truck :wings:

It better be the solution

zidaro

Explorer
Yo dogs!
Issue was the diff drop.
Diff drops don't belong on lt!
Stoked it was a small thing! Carry on.

sologeek

Observer
If you had a chance to do the build all over again, would you use the Tundra again? I'm asking because I had a 2010 Tundra and thinking of getting another or maybe considering a Power Wagon.

rruff

Explorer
I'll give you my opinion. Biggest difference between Tundra and the Big 3 is reliability, longevity, resale value. Consumer Reports (10 year survey) ranked the Tundra 5/5. Ford and GM were 2/5. Dodge was 1/5.

I was also surprised to find that the Tundra was cheaper than Ford or GM with comparable (low) spec. Also in my case, I wanted a decent rear seat and 8' bed and would have needed to go with a 3/4 ton, which would have been fine, but more money again.

sologeek

Observer
I'll give you my opinion. Biggest difference between Tundra and the Big 3 is reliability, longevity, resale value. Consumer Reports (10 year survey) ranked the Tundra 5/5. Ford and GM were 2/5. Dodge was 1/5.

I was also surprised to find that the Tundra was cheaper than Ford or GM with comparable (low) spec. Also in my case, I wanted a decent rear seat and 8' bed and would have needed to go with a 3/4 ton, which would have been fine, but more money again.

I remember when the Tundra with 5.7 was considered "Spendy" compared to the big three. I was really surprised when I went to a Ford dealership and the prices on the trucks scared the crap out of me. Personally I would be much more comfortable buying a used Tundra than one of the other three. I was also wondering how the A-trac performed in snow and mud compared to the others since tundra has no rear locker.

rruff

Explorer
I don't remember if zidaro put lockers on his. They are available aftermarket anyway. I think I'll be fine without them.

zidaro

Explorer
I don't remember if zidaro put lockers on his. They are available aftermarket anyway. I think I'll be fine without them.

I have a front ARB and a rear Auburn LS. The Auburn has made a huge difference in traction on all surfaces

zidaro

Explorer
Just curious, I guess the nannies that mess with the rear brakes are disconnected then? Any issues with that?

No, its connected still. The LS seems to work before the nannies react and keeps it moving forward. Now, if you want to power-slide- nanny override required. :costumed-smiley-007

zidaro

Explorer
It LIVES!!

fullsizeoutput_6cd2_zpsqdemn4gp.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6ccf_zpsblxlnsyj.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6cd6_zpsdhbvrwjm.jpeg

Put in some serious power hours and pulled it off just as the snow began to fly.
Finished up the rear this am as the morning flurry swept in, had it down in Bishop for an alignment in the afternoon.
took a test spin as the sun set over the Sierras.

Absolutely no tuning so far, but its already riding MUCH better than its previous iteration :drool:
Can't wait to get it dialed, but I'm sure that will take some time. Still have front and rear Hydro bump stops to add, relocate the airbags inboard of springs (to make space for the bumps), rear limit straps(though the shock is not overextended in any way at full droop, box/crossbrace rear frame in some way. Oh, and trim the rear fenders- after they finish a little self clearancing on their own :Wow1: that way i know where to trim

Ill post up pics of my epic fab finale later date. had to share my freedom reinstated!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94