'10 Tundra CrewMax

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Would you really ever be in a situation where you would need a rear locker in a Tundra? I'd think the atrac would be sufficient.

zidaro

Explorer
Awesomeness.

I have a rear locker with your name on it.

wouldnt that be great, and as we have spoke- I'm down. Its gonna take me a considerable amount of time to recover from my wad i just blew on this. If you can convince ARB i would be a great donor candidate, sign me up.
Personally, I feel the traction control is seriously lacking when it comes to technical offroading. It shines on slippery roads, no fishtailing- ever, and it seems to do great in sand and loose rocky trails(golf/softball/maybe a liitle larger size rocks). I dont like how it struggles with larger ledges (+2'), it feels like it just stalls out and has difficulty moving forward at slow speeds. I dont like having to "bounce" over an obstacle, thats when things break.

Losing the factory controls and flipping 2 ARB switches would be beautiful. I am looking forward to seeing how the front locker performs to determine if i really want a rear ARB or just a Limited Slip- Auburn makes one for the 10.5. Before i dig into the front diff., i would like to wait for some gearing options- there are NONE now, but Nitro has stated to me they are close to some 4.88 and 4.56 options.:wings:

what is the largest tire you can fit with that lift? 33's or 35's?

Good question. I am under the impression that with the proper backspacing/offset (+18mm to +35mm) wheel, you can fit a 35". some trimming may be required on the skid and maybe biting into the front cab mount just a hair. rear has no issues.

My perfect tire, right now, would be a 34" Toyo MT on Weld Method Forged Wheels. Hutchinsons would be sick$$$$$

I am going to run the Goodyear Duratrac in a 295/65-18 (33X11.6) on the stock wheels for now. Makes sense financially and the sizing may be a little "small" for some, but i want to see what how shift points change with tiresize and stock gearing, and would like to retain a bit of MPG. Another reason Im trying to stick with an aggressive AT. I had/have a set on my 4runner in a 33", the Duratrac is great in the snow, dirt, and highway on a light truck so I have hopes an E rate tire will work on the Tundra. They will be on next week or 2, hopefully they balance well.
DSC_0004.jpg

Last edited:

TEJASYOTA

Adventurer
...but--- the real solution is a set of REAL sliders along the sides that will somewhat shield the feet and provide a front mounting point for the camper.

True, but, if you were off chamber and up against a rock face, it would catch and tear off, regardless of the slider, unless that slider is really sticking out.
It would be better to modify the leg's attachment points to be easily removable.

Looking great! :ylsmoke:
Next are tires and or wheels.

zidaro

Explorer
Installed the Rear Solstice lights today, rear fill valves for airbags on bumper as well.

DSC_0013-4.jpg

Rear airbags to support a load when its in and give the suspension the ability to work (bags at 4#) when there is no load. Using Slamspecialities.com SS-8 2800# 8"diameter bags, 13" travel.

psngr side
DSC_0012_2.jpg

DS
DSC_0007-2.jpg

DSC_0011-1.jpg

zidaro

Explorer
filled the bags to 40# and drove down the road empty- felt like i was riding a roadbike down a washboard road, these ought to hold a load. We shall see how well the setup really does in a couple weeks.
And when they are at 4# you cannot tell they are there.

Last edited:

zidaro

Explorer
Anyone have a good idea on where to mount the non-integrated solenoid pack for my warn 9.5xp? Under the hood is my preference, but room is sparse.

Willman

Nice build!

Love your suspension choice!

Not sure if this was talked about above - Future tire size?

Keep it coming!

:smiley_drive:

zidaro

Explorer
Nice build!

Love your suspension choice!

Not sure if this was talked about above - Future tire size?

Keep it coming!

:smiley_drive:

Thanks. I'm having a great time building this thing.
It surprises me how little aftermarket support there is out there for a Truck platform that has been around since '07. Lots of Chrome doorhandle covers and neon light kits, but almost no vehicle specific products designed for real offroad use. This aint no JEEP. Buy vehicle, bolt on garage full of parts, wheel.
It reminds me of the late 80's building Toyota 2nd gen minis. Except this truck cost a hellova lot more :Wow1:

I bought a set of 295/65 18 Load E Goodyear Duratracs (33.2X11.6) to run on the stock rims till i get a wild hair (and wear these out) and get new rims.
Havent gotten around to installing them yet.

The E. Sierras just got BLASTED by wind and snow the last few days. 140mph ridge winds and 60+ in town, ~5" snow up above town in the mountains. Not much driveway wrenching to be had.

Did finally get my bumper leveled and completely bolted on.

DSC_0001-3.jpg

And mounted a highlift in the bed, still have access with the poptop camper in the bed. Tucked in under the lip, hopefully out of some of the weather.
Now i just need some sliders to lift off of (bumpers have hilift pockets).

DSC_0003.jpg

joker2041

Adventurer
You have any pics of your truck with the new tires?

Also, post up some pics of your truck on the trail!

Nice build!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles