'10 Tundra CrewMax

zidaro

Explorer
Got my tires installed yesterday. Goodyear Duratrac AT 295/65 18 E rated. 33X11.6 on TRD rim. so far i love them. MINIMAL hum on Hwy, way more stable feeling.

DSC_0024-1.jpg

DSC_0026-1.jpg

I have had a set of Duratracs previously on a Taco and they are great on the highway and dirt, and really hookup on snowy roads.

Kept the stock TRD rims (60mm offset) for financial reasons. all wheels balanced at less than 4oz. each. The stock tires from Toyota had up to 10oz on one rim- ridiculous!

zidaro

Explorer
Added some very functional tiedown rails in the bed. Macs Tiedowns sells these bed kits for lots of different models of vehicles and offers a kit for the Crewmax, though it is not advertised.
DSC_0005-3.jpg

Crewmax 3 Piece Rail Kit. Install was SIMPLE- it took a phillips and less time that it takes to enjoy a beer.

DSC_0002-3.jpg

DSC_0003-1.jpg

DSC_0004-2.jpg

These replace the silly Bedrail Tiedown Tracks that the Tundras and Tacomas come with from the factory. I had one in my Crewmax and was ALWAYS nervous anytime i strapped anything to it- worrying if the rail was going to blow out or bend under load. :eek: Not to mention- the cleats are HUGE for some reason, and they were taking up too much room in my door pockets.

Worry no more- Mac's VersaTie rails have been around for a long time and are a proven system that can hold a load. I have them on my flatbed carhauler and use them to tie off my rockcrawler and motorcycles regularly. Raceteams everywhere use them, they are awesome.

These rails mount to the existing boltholes. You then attach rings wherever you like to tie off your load. Bonus- Macs Load Rings are much more proportional (small) but still have 1.5" opening, and you can even get different attachments to fit your needs or customization.

DSC_0007-3.jpg

DSC_0006-1.jpg

Secure, confident loadcarrying is a must- especially when its my dirtbike

Mac's truck bed rail systems, stainless steel mounting hardware and tie down rings

zidaro

Explorer
thanks Brian.

I'm feeling really good about it now! got a few more additions to wrap up.
Gonna get out and enjoy it for a few months and then maybe jump back into a few projects.

joker2041

Adventurer
Nice anchoring system. I was just checking out the Hi-Lift brand anchoring systems last night.

Now post up some wheeling pics of that Tundra!!

zidaro

Explorer
Got the camper back on it today finally, after suspension, airbags, tires, high-lift, bumpers, etc... also added solar to the Northstar.

DSC_0005-4.jpg

DSC_0006-2.jpg

DSC_0009-2.jpg

DSC_0007-4.jpg

DSC_0002-4.jpg

Only got it out for a few miles on washboard and some nice ruts, suspension seems to handle the weight very well with no air in bags. Rear springs have plenty of travel left. Hoping by adding 20lbs to the bags it will help with sway without adding too much jarring.

zidaro

Explorer
Was out in Saline Valley for a 4 day trip. Perfect weather, beautiful desert, great Springs- as always.
Truck performed flawlessly and had a fantastic drive in and out. Roads are nothing crazy but do have VERY impressive washboard for endless miles.
Airbags carried the camper and gear weight as expected. 40LBS on the way in gave me ride height and ample suspension travel to flex thru the washes and absorb the bumps.

DSC_0008.jpg

Goodyear Duratracs rule in the snow/ice. Sierras are in full winter mode.

DSC_0005-5.jpg

DSC_0029.jpg

tnt

Observer
And mounted a highlift in the bed, still have access with the poptop camper in the bed.

You say you still have access to the highlift with the camper on??? Looking at the photos of your truck with the camper on it, I don't see how that is possible. I am running a Four Wheel Camper on a 2011 Tundra and would like to use the space you show the highlift attached to. But with the camper on, I can't get my fingers into that space let alone get a highlift out of it. Can you please expand on how you get access to it?

Really enjoying your build, btw. I'm installing some suspension improvements as well, but don't have the $ to go as high end as you have. Thanks for letting me live vicariously through your posts.

zidaro

Explorer
You say you still have access to the highlift with the camper on??? Looking at the photos of your truck with the camper on it, I don't see how that is possible. I am running a Four Wheel Camper on a 2011 Tundra and would like to use the space you show the highlift attached to. But with the camper on, I can't get my fingers into that space let alone get a highlift out of it. Can you please expand on how you get access to it?

It is "possible" and a TIGHT fit- use a shoehorn:sombrero:

I'm sure every camper is different. I have a greytank on the DriverSide as well, but took that into account when i measured for install.
As you know, there are very limited places to install a highlift- in the bed or out, esp. with the camper on.

I dont have pics of what i am explaining, but i can if anyone wants to see the space.
Front bolt- I am able to reach my arm into the bed area at the front of the camper- just barely, and unscrew the wingnut off the hilift bracket.

Rear bolt- I can reach in purdy good, including a full arm and my head to see. I can unscrew the wingnut on the mount and lift off and out, or remount the hilift on the bracket.

Its not easy or ideal, but i can do it if needed. It allows me to keep the highlift on my truck instead of leave it at home when i need it most. when i installed it i certainly was not sure if i was going to have access with the camper on- got lucky! Fortunately it is such a rare occasion to actually need it, but boy do you need it when that occasion arises.

try it out and post up with your results on a 4wheeler

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
It is "possible" and a TIGHT fit- use a shoehorn:sombrero:

I'm sure every camper is different. I have a greytank on the DriverSide as well, but took that into account when i measured for install.
As you know, there are very limited places to install a highlift- in the bed or out, esp. with the camper on.

why not just cut an access flap inside the camper to reach thru the wall to the wing nut?

or make the top of the highlift slip into a pocket with some rubber bumpers to minimize bouncing and wing nut the other end..reach in and pop it out...

I plan on just stowing mine in the camper when traveling (or on the back)

2010 doublecab with skamper popup for 8ft bed just fits in with the tailgate down..no spacers needed underneat..

jknolan4

Zidaro,
I was all set to get different tires on my 08 DC, but reading this thread, along with the 5 snowstorms we've had since the beginning of the year convinced me to give these duratracs a try. My stock tires are terrible in the snow and I'm really hoping these work out. Great build btw, great to see people taking our trucks out. I've got the Sway-Away adjustable coilovers and Total Chaos UCA's set at about 2" of lift, totally got rid of the horrible bed-hop I had when I got it. Did the ExpeditionOne bumpers/winch affect the ride much? Can't decide between those or a ton of BudBuilt armor underneath for right now. Thanks,

John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles