'10 Tundra CrewMax

tony_h

Looks great! Congratulations!

Wondering why you want to swap the bumper. Still looks good and proper proportions/approach. What's your goal?

sologeek

Observer
I don't remember if zidaro put lockers on his. They are available aftermarket anyway. I think I'll be fine without them.

Do all the Tundra's have A-trac? is it good enough to negate the need for a locker for snow and mud. I know rock crawling is a place where lockers are king but outside of rocks is the Tundra's 4wd system pretty effective? Sadly, It's been about 5 years since I've had my Tundra and I did not get a chance to offroad it.

sologeek

Observer
It LIVES!!

fullsizeoutput_6cd2_zpsqdemn4gp.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6ccf_zpsblxlnsyj.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6cd6_zpsdhbvrwjm.jpeg

Put in some serious power hours and pulled it off just as the snow began to fly.
Finished up the rear this am as the morning flurry swept in, had it down in Bishop for an alignment in the afternoon.
took a test spin as the sun set over the Sierras.

Absolutely no tuning so far, but its already riding MUCH better than its previous iteration :drool:
Can't wait to get it dialed, but I'm sure that will take some time. Still have front and rear Hydro bump stops to add, relocate the airbags inboard of springs (to make space for the bumps), rear limit straps(though the shock is not overextended in any way at full droop, box/crossbrace rear frame in some way. Oh, and trim the rear fenders- after they finish a little self clearancing on their own :Wow1: that way i know where to trim

Ill post up pics of my epic fab finale later date. had to share my freedom reinstated!

Congrats! looks like you are on your way to beast mode lol.

rruff

Explorer
Do all the Tundra's have A-trac? is it good enough to negate the need for a locker for snow and mud. I know rock crawling is a place where lockers are king but outside of rocks is the Tundra's 4wd system pretty effective? Sadly, It's been about 5 years since I've had my Tundra and I did not get a chance to offroad it.

I didn't drive in deep snow once last winter (didn't even put it in 4wd). But a couple months ago I did take my truck out in mud when I got the new tires on. I hit a slippery patch going up hill (2wd) and the truck just stopped. No wheels turning! I had a brief "oh ****!" moment and then realized what was happening. I'm used to driving with no nannies at all (not even abs), but I did rent a car once that quit moving on ice and refused to budge. Took me a long time to figure out what the F@#k was going on! Anyway, I could have disabled the limited slip on the Tundra, but just put it in 4wd instead and had no problems.

More recently I did a long climb up a bumpy gravel trail. Had it in 4low up and down and didn't notice anything annoying.

The nannies acheive traction by applying brakes to the spinning wheel, and also bogging the engine a bit. So the high performance guys really hate it! But I think for most of us who aren't in a big hurry and don't care to spin the tires for fun, it works ok most of the time.

riccnick gives a good rundown of the Tundra systems here. I suggest you familiarize yourself, and print it out and keep it in your truck if you will be offroading.
http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tundra-drivetrain/417362-traction-control.html

zidaro

Explorer
Just looked back, using this thread as my timeline. Started on Oct 8 truck on jacks. Driving again, with shocks on all corners atleast, by Nov.3. Seemed like a bit longer and certainly gave me some greys with Winter coming on strong near the end.

Some of the teardown/fit cycle/assembly process last 2 days-

broke down the springs to 2 upper leafs to allow cycling, used a 2/3 block as spacer.

Set the lower shock mount ABOVE the spring plate. I thought this was an important element in my build. I do value clearance.

fullsizeoutput_6cd8_zpsq1jwyy2g.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6cda_zps1oizfxx7.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6cdc_zpsckwwdcsx.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6cdb_zps9dhafq9t.jpeg

should never see this angle of articulation with OEM fenders, if it does :eek:

fullsizeoutput_6ce1_zpsbdkk7jrm.jpeg

Airbag plates on OEM spring perches, captured by daystar cradles.

fullsizeoutput_6ce6_zpsgiyiqvxp.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6ce7_zpsheshe4sk.jpeg

Rear in finished mode as it sits

fullsizeoutput_6cd0_zpsnk7kjfui.jpeg

Full bump (shock fully compressed and airbag as temporary bumpstop- it has one built in) is about 45*

fullsizeoutput_6cdf_zpsxg9adqjb.jpeg

Ill guesstimate at the ride ht angle 30*??

ride ht before charging the shocks-
fullsizeoutput_6cde_zps4jdr7oku.jpeg
Full droop gets close to 15*

Full droop-

fullsizeoutput_6ce5_zpscbhdaf7l.jpeg

With 37"s and SUA, no glass- you can see where things will be intersecting and self-clearancing :eek: Natural Selection.

fullsizeoutput_6ce3_zpswy1l9l0d.jpeg

Ill throw a mitre on it and get some actual #s later.

First i gotta get ready for a tour de Death Valley this week :D
Created quite the disaster zone garage and need to find all the important camping gear.

fullsizeoutput_6cbb_zps8nvnaekl.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6ccf_zpsblxlnsyj.jpeg

bkg

Explorer
Soooo. This is done.... The 4th gen is done... Does that mean the 1st gen is going to get attention now? 😄

zidaro

Explorer
Im getting stoked, this thing is WAY smoother on rough washboard! Threw the camper on this afternoon after doing a thorough once-over on everything, took her for a spin on some nasty rutted washboard! OMG! as my daughter would say. This is gonna be sweet once i get to tuning, till then its purdy posh!

4E35016D-BE19-409E-AC5A-E5182FFA7DA5_zpsuvzyobf6.jpg

A50A857E-E6DE-4294-84EE-EC36071B6F70_zpsazrfakdx.jpg

Kpack

Adventurer
I've really enjoyed watching this build, thanks for sharing it with us. And this has to be the most boss '10 Tundra on the road!

-Kevin

rruff

Explorer
Zidaro, just wondering, you ever scrape your big Transfer Flow tank? No skids or anything, correct?

zidaro

Explorer
thought id put this up-

pulled better #s than it ever did with the ICON UCA's. Now lets see how long it can stay in, might just tack the alignment bolts in place next time i have to take it in.

01F0A7F9-1E7F-4B6A-B794-CFEC4053236C_zps3gyhvjdy.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior