'10 Tundra CrewMax

bkg

Explorer
One thing to consider doing: Drill some holes in those frame plates to add some plug welds... just to spread the load a bit more.

Looking good. Assuming a custom skinned skid plate in the future?

zidaro

Explorer
Assuming a custom skinned skid plate in the future?

plan is to retain/reuse the bud-built stainless steel skids i have. they are super durable (so far), keeping their finish nicely considering exposure to ocean sand and our Sierra Winters, plus i spent a pretty penny on them :Wow1:

So far i think they are going to work out

zidaro

Explorer
Weather changed in the Sierras just as i was finishing up :)
Second paint coat didn't appreciate 25* temps with snow and wind.
But it turned out OK. Can always re-rattle it in summer

IMG_7050_zpsuw5arkbr.jpg

Took her out to shake her up and flex her alittle. ~15miles of Washboard and a couple boulders- No problems. Lockers and lites all work, bumper did not fall off ;)

fullsizeoutput_6dc0_zpspak463ef.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6dc9_zpsoltsmwn9.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6dc3_zpsps1dmt7o.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6dc7_zpsqadit55j.jpeg

Time to throw on the camper and head to Baja for a few weeks of testing!!!!!

zidaro

Explorer

Looks awesome! Any idea what the weight savings was?

Ha! Likely none once i filled in all those weld seams!

In truth(aka- factual data :) )
Exp1 states their bumper weighs ~150# bare
I weighed my bumper with all lighting and bracing to frame on it- just before welding it on 158#

NO SAVINGS!!!! but it looks hella cool and i think a lot more functional.
course, i still want to add some front plating (aluminum 0.25") skid- so more weight.

zidaro

Explorer
Woah that came out rad! Fits the truck perfectly and looks functional and at home on there.

thx! Im pretty happy with it. Lots of work, but i didn't feel any bolt on (or even guys fabbing at shops were making the look/function i wanted) time will tell how i did!

zidaro

Explorer
It all started here! Alabama Hills stopover for a nice afternoon run on the way to SD/Tecate border. Let the girl drive while we (Wife, dog, and I) shed some energy and tensions after the hectic pack and escape from daily life in Mammoth (i know- tough).

Loaded up and ready to Baja!!
fullsizeoutput_6e2f_zpswftaze3d.jpeg

zidaro

Explorer
Crossed over in Tecate, an easy border and a town with character.
Do the speed limit and drive chill, the local Policia are watching you! Luckily they still take bribes, just make certain to tuck your pesos under your license when you pass it over.

grabbed a great meal in La Rumerosa East of Tecate after stopping at one of the awesome Panaderia's that Tecate is known for. ie PASTERIES!! at El Mejor Pan de Tecate

La Cabana Del Abuelo- super delicious, very busy, we were the only Gringos there
fullsizeoutput_6e3e_zpsgvunw9te.jpeg

stopped at the rockhouse overlook at the eastern crest of the Sierra de Juarez range.

fullsizeoutput_6e48_zpseds3hzi7.jpeg

then blasted to San Felipe for some tacos!!

fullsizeoutput_6e4d_zpsamomzzvr.jpeg

made it down to Gonzaga lil after sunset (ok- 2 hours past) woke to a great sunrise

fullsizeoutput_6e50_zpsgyrgcaev.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6e51_zpskh6nxile.jpeg

chilled for 2 days doing things
fullsizeoutput_6e60_zps1yrmgbkz.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6e65_zps9xzwgbsz.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_6e6b_zpssk1ihhge.jpeg

then we headed south past Cocos
fullsizeoutput_6e71_zpsotdqud7a.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6e70_zpsehsl2yf8.jpeg

and then east onto a desolate deep loose pea gravel beach miles long. Oddly I do not recall its name or location. But it was nice.

fullsizeoutput_6e74_zpskktnhsez.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6e83_zpsbbpgylwk.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_7103_zpsaqdfdpju.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6ea2_zpsap9y17x2.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6ea7_zpsmoiufqa1.jpeg

beached for the night, or 2?
fullsizeoutput_6eb1_zpsh8gbgkjn.jpeg

zidaro

Explorer
How much bribe for a typical stop? :)

Sadly i have your answer. :costumed-smiley-007 For Gringos in Tecate and Local police atleast.
First i turned around ( made a U-turn) in a parking lot to change directions on the main street. This was apparently not acceptable ;) I was told that if i went to the Judge to resolve the issue i would likely be charged ~$80 or more. He could arrange $60 an acceptable offer to the judge. I actually talked myself out of that ticket and he "let" me go.
However- i believe i was then put on the list of "he aint getting outta town without a ticket"
I was immediately followed once i pulled out of the Panaderia we snacked at, followed for a few minutes out of town then pulled over for having a rear hitch rack that may have been blocking my license plate a bit. couldn't argue with that one and new i had a bullseye on my back at that point. Super nice Officer BTW, all smiles and friendly. He offered the same, and i negotiated to a simple $40.
Had no issues after that.

Want to add, My buddy in the F150, same setup. He had zero troubles in Tecate, did all the same things as i did aside from turning around in front of the first Policia. It was a Sat morning on a Holiday weekend- perfect Gringo hunting grounds
We all travelled over 1200 miles throughout Baja Norte with zero issues after this. The Federales, which we found to be EVERYWHERE, even i some wickedly remote areas, are very professional and we never felt awkward in their presence, they were all young kids with M16s in awe of blondes, paddleboards, and pretty trucks. And very nice and respectable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke