'10 Tundra CrewMax

zidaro

Explorer
Winter 2017. Progression!!!

fullsizeoutput_6cd2_zpsqdemn4gp.jpeg

In current form 2015. Damn near perfect!

IMG_3064_zpsc63432dc.jpg

and how we travel often (04/17)

DSC_2314_zpsffehuo8x.jpg

Purchased Spring 2010

DSC_0020.jpg

DSC_0030.jpg

Standard overnighter in Mammoth- 1' to 3'

DSC_0025.jpg

DSC_0063.jpg

DSC_0040_2.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

Been driving Toyota 4x4's since I was in High School and love them. First a box stock Standardcab '86 which i promptly sank in Azuza Canyon, CA. Then i picked up a repo'ed '85 extracab that i built for Glamis duning and exploring Anza Borrego and Baja, then converted it to a crawler that has been on many trails like Rubicon, Sledgehammer, Wrecking Ball, Fordyce, etc... Toyotas are great, dependable vehicles and I plan to own atleast one for the rest of my life.

I now have a family, wife and 5yo girl, so my interests have changed. I now own 3 Toys. I own an '87 4runner that i am building to be a 4 seater all-a-round desert/rock/trail explorer. My wife has a '10 4runner Limited (beautiful and capable), and I now have a Tundra Crewmax 4x4.

The Tundra is my Daily Driver.
I live in the Eastern Sierras at 8000ft. and see quite a bit of snow from Oct. to May- 600+ inches a season. There are 100's of miles of dirt roads and 2track to explore right out my door. Lakes, climbing spots, singletrack(pedal or motor). A capable, reliable, comfortable 4x4 is mandatory.
We carry dirt-bikes, cords of wood, and the 4runner on a carhauler (not all at once).
We have purchased a slide-in Poptop camper that fits us great and weighs 1600# dry.
Very important to me is to place as much stuff in the cab of a vehicle as is possible to avoid having exposure to weather, dust, people. CREWMAX is perfect for this. Cab is huge, but a bed is still avail. for hauling. A full size dirtbike will fit diagonally with the gate closed, 2 bikes and the gate is open.

My favorite things about the Crewmax-
-5.7L Engine- Holy Cow, this aint no 22re if ya know what im sayin'. I am getting 17mpg on mountain roads, 22mpg if im headed South on straight hwy's to lower elevations. My stock '87 4runner 22re gets 16mpg.
-HUGE cab and reclining rear seats
-Comfortable interior that has decent bucket seats, bluetooth, steering wheel stereo, cellphone controls, xm radio
-backup camera mirror - this is a great feature for EVERY vehicle on the road or trail, there will be one in my 4runner.
-vertical rear window slider- huge opening to the world
-windshield wiper defroster- live in snow country w/o one and you will know why its sweet.
-cab adjustable headlights- great when you have a load in the back to avoid blinding oncoming traffic, or adjust up on trails to get better light ahead of you
-tailgate slowdown when dropped, my girl can open the gate and not have a dented skull or me fretting.

Not Stoked on-
-Traction Control limits the power too much and instead of powering one wheel when one is slipping, the LSD brakes the wheel that is slipping. If you are in the snow, it keeps you from sliding, but sometimes it feels as though the truck is stopping instead of getting traction. Very different feeling from the VSC in the '10 4runner- give it gas and it searches for traction and accelerates.
-TRD suspension package- better than stock, but still only a slight upgrade. TRD should be the basic 4x4 package and TRD should be a major improvement, something like the Raptor. makes washbaord tolerable, but could be sooo much better. wont absorb a "hit".
-Tires- what is the point of a 10K tow rating with "C" class tires - not to mention there is no way these are any good on anything but smooth dirt roads and icy highways. good 4 MPG though. Again- its Toyotas TRD package that comes up short.
- no Locker- TRD package???

This build thread is meant to be both my experiences and trips with the truck and the modifications I see necessary to fulfill my needs in a vehicle that will see lots of backcountry and cross-country trips with my family. I want a reliable vehicle that is comfortable everywhere, capable of long distance travel, self-recovery(to an extent), and looks good doing it.

I should mention- I bought this truck back in April when Toyota was GIVING these things away. Great Financing, matching down payments, and well below INVOICE was all had. I originally was looking for an '04 TACO DoubleCab but it was going to cost me as much as this did in the end (used vehicle financing not good).

I'm have just now started to mod the Tundra after having it a half a year and getting to know it. I will attempt to catch up to the point i am at right now with the thread. So I will move fast in the beginning and then screech to a slow crawl.

I love this truck and cant wait to make improvements on a solid platform.
If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions- feel free.

set of Weathertech floormats- they are great and seem to direct the crap in the right direction. I have the carpet mats over the weathertechs on all but drivers side cuz they feel sooo much better on the toes.

DSC_0003_2.jpg

7 pin adapter and DC plug mounted in bed for slide-in power and ARB fridge (if i dont have it in the cab where it belongs)

DSC_0013.jpg

the only performance mod that i will be doing- an AFE Dryflow filter and intake box. Makes more noise and cant say there was a huge boost in power, but its a bigger cleaner and uses no oil to foul the sensors, debate is still open on this one. OK- i may add a smaller, quiet, performance exhaust cuz the stock muffler is HUGE.

DSC_0001.jpg

interior shot

DSC_0002-1.jpg

Last edited:

zidaro

Explorer
me and my Girl. she LOVES the huge seat that is HERS.
DSC_0077.jpg

EXPEDITION ONE front and rear bumpers.

DSC_0002.jpg

Stock rear bumper is, of course, an easy removal. Pop the plastic cover off from beneath and unbolt. Sensors are a pain to remove but once you discover their key- they slip out. Total weight- 25#, silly light and wouldnt stop a shopping cart, let alone a sliding tourist.

DSC_0038.jpg

Stock front is another story. Quite impressive as to its overcomplicated construction. someone made alot of $$ designing it and then assembling it. Took some time and alot of wristing a 10mm ratchet. Parts galore.

DSC_0014.jpg

DSC_0028.jpg

Taken down to the frame in front

DSC_0018.jpg

DSC_0019.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

Rear bumper Mods first:

Made a cutout to install the OEM Trailer Harness out of harms way in the area that would be normally occupied by license plate lights. Used a cardboard pattern, 2"holesaw and a jigsaw. cut like butter.

DSC_0002-2.jpg

Mounted the Rear camper tiedowns on each end

DSC_0025-1.jpg

Last edited:

TEJASYOTA

Adventurer
Going be a great transformation.
Only thing I would be worried about are those leveling legs on the camper.
Too low hanging and easy to be torn off.
Any way to make them removable?

zidaro

Explorer
LED License Plate Bolt Lights
DSC_0034.jpg

Install was easy, bumper is just light enough to be carried by me w/o strain and sits on stock mounts to line-up. You must predrill all OEM mount holes to 1/2" and knock off original welded nut prior to install. tailgate must be removed to do this. PS lifts out when lowered to 45deg. and DS then slides out horizontally at vertical position. I was able to leave the camera harness attached and just rotate the gate into the bed of the truck to drill the holes and mount the bumper.

DSC_0031.jpg

DSC_0027.jpg

DSC_0026.jpg

DSC_0032.jpg

http://expeditiononestore.com/categ...22BB378F9883E641D85.qscstrfrnt03?categoryId=3

Lights to come. VisionX Solstice 10W LED EuroBeam lights will be in the front and rear bumper holes. Water/dust proof, light. I'm using VisionX new flat mount to fill the round hole evenly. Output seems to match the OEM Tundra foglights, but pulls only .75 watts for 900 lumens. Minimal draw for some sweet camplights.
http://www.visionxusa.com/LED-Solst...POD_45°/15°_ELLIPTICAL_BEAM/product_info.html

DSC_0012-1.jpg

zidaro

Explorer
Going be a great transformation.
Only thing I would be worried about are those leveling legs on the camper.
Too low hanging and easy to be torn off.
Any way to make them removable?

I agree. they are vulnerable. they are also removable with a quick wrenching of a few bolts a side. but---
the real solution is a set of REAL sliders along the sides that will somewhat shield the feet and provide a front mounting point for the camper.

still gotta figure that one out completely.

zidaro

Explorer
Pile o parts :D

DSC_0006.jpg

Expedition One front Frame reinforcements- just these alone are beefier than the stock bumper.

DSC_0015.jpg

Sits like this on bumper

DSC_0013-1.jpg

Lateral reinforcements in internal bumper behind light pockets. Silly beef.

DSC_0012.jpg

Added some trick tabs for light mounting on the upper hoop and some washers to run cables down one side of hoop thru bumper somewhat outta sight. A set of Baja Designs Fuego 4" 35W HID's will sit under the hoop. BRIGHT

DSC_0030-1.jpg

Also drilled out 7/8" holes on front sides for the OEM perimeter sensors. They are gimmicky but they actually do work to let you know when the front/rear is close and then right on an object. Intermittent beep, then solid beep when you are on it. Convenient at times.

Install to come, but first this:

DSC_0007-1.jpg

zidaro

Explorer
Daystar shackles for 1st Gen. Tacomas should add ~1". Greaseable 18mm beefy bolts.

DSC_0005.jpg

ICON Vehicle Dynamic Expansion Pack with OEM Tundra Mainleaf and my own addition of 4 thin leafs off a National Spring leafpack i used to run on my '85. OEM Loadleaf is out. Trying to achieve a pliable rear lift of about 2-3" once its settled. Time will tell, i can always pull a leaf or 2.

DSC_0009-1.jpg

a real springpack. sorry ICON for ********** with your perfect pack :)

DSC_0014-1.jpg

DSC_0013-2.jpg

ICON Rear remote resi. 2.5" shocks with built in extension bumps. No fading gonna happen here.

DSC_0016-1.jpg

DSC_0018-1.jpg

DSC_0019-1.jpg

DSC_0020-1.jpg

Stock
DSC_0014-2.jpg

rear lifted
DSC_0024.jpg

sweet rubber, eh? but my *** end is lookin tight!

Last edited:

zidaro

Explorer
:Wow1:Front ICON 3.5" Stage 5 kit. Billet UCA's, 2.5" RemoteResi. Coilovers, brackets to hang the resi's. Also got the IVD Protective Coating cuz i live in the snow, we will see.
Make sure before you start your disassembly/assembly that you check the spindle taper threads carefully for proper deburring. If not clean and threadable, it will stop you in your tracks with a truck with no front end. Ask me how i know this. ICON overnighted the replacement tapers- and i live in the middle of shipping nowhere, I also had no "weight" to pull with my bud.

BTW- have a buddy that works for ICON and got a great deal. still $$$, though.

DSC_0007.jpg

Simple install tools, standard in all toyota toolbags, all installed by me solo.

DSC_0033.jpg

Stock UCA, cute.
DSC_0009_2.jpg

Swaybar on its way OUT

DSC_0010-1.jpg

dont overextend the VSC cable, you'll be sorry. weight supported b brake cable, just dont yard on it.

DSC_0011.jpg

ICON's large spacer to the front. saw a thread somewhere that an install company ground the lower CO mount down to fit cuz they thought ICON F'ed up, turned out the installer had the spacers backwards and it was binding- OOPS.
DSC_0013-3.jpg

Resi. Line goes forward and out

DSC_0014-3.jpg

DSC_0005-1.jpg

Coilover in, now install taper on spindle

DSC_0034-1.jpg

then taper on UCA

DSC_0036.jpg

Last edited:

zidaro

Explorer
DSC_0037.jpg

then UCA to frame

DSC_0038-1.jpg

tight fit for UCA bolts from front of truck

DSC_0044.jpg

installed
DSC_0045.jpg

DSC_0050.jpg

ta da. As it sits now. Front bumper is hanging on by a couple of bolts so that i could weight the truck front for proper alignment.

DSC_0004-1.jpg

Only got a quick dirt trial at sunset on the way home from the only real alignment shop in the Eastern Sierras- Bishop Auto Center/Firestone (behind the Chevron in Bishop). Sterling is the MAN.
Ride is great on washboard and i hit a few deep potholes in series (like mini whoops) at speed and it soaked it up comfortably much unlike the stock TRD would have. Aligned perfectly with LCA's pushed all the way out for a wider stance.
Rear does sit higher than front by a couple inches- like the stock stance.
I have NO VSC sensors activating prematurely as some have had, time will tell if there are hidden issues.
I will be doing a front diff. drop and spacing down the rear driveshaft center bearing carrier for added piece of mind/reliability.

DSC_0005-2.jpg

DSC_0008_2.jpg

Still have a pile in the garage to add, and a few more ideas in my head.:coffeedrink:

stay tuned. Throw down:gunt:

OTR

Adventurer
I see an ARB air locker and Firestone airbags in the picture that need to be installed:)

Great job on the Tundra. I would love to add an Icon suspension but, it doesn't make financial sense for me since I drive 35,000 miles a year. I would never recover the cost as far as resale or personal enjoyment. The firestone airbags will be your best friend when the camper is loaded up. I have the same camper as you in my crewmax and the airbags alone make the truck 10x better with the camper.

Keep up the good work. These trucks are very under rated IMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles