'10 Tundra CrewMax

rruff

Explorer
The Federales, which we found to be EVERYWHERE, even i some wickedly remote areas, are very professional and we never felt awkward in their presence, they were all young kids with M16s in awe of blondes, paddleboards, and pretty trucks. And very nice and respectable.

So funny! 20 years ago me and my lady were camping way up the peninsula of the Bahia Concepcion. Way out in the middle of nowhere, no one around. Skinny dipping of course. And while she is out in the water she notices some kid behind a bush with some binoculars, and freaks out a little bit. Hilarity ensued. Turns out we'd been "ambushed" by a couple dozen of those kids with machines guns, and their leader who looked about 20. They all came out of hiding once they'd been busted, and made some excuse about looking for drug traffickers, and went on their way...

zidaro

Explorer
So funny! 20 years ago me and my lady were camping way up the peninsula of the Bahia Concepcion. Way out in the middle of nowhere, no one around. Skinny dipping of course. And while she is out in the water she notices some kid behind a bush with some binoculars, and freaks out a little bit. Hilarity ensued. Turns out we'd been "ambushed" by a couple dozen of those kids with machines guns, and their leader who looked about 20. They all came out of hiding once they'd been busted, and made some excuse about looking for drug traffickers, and went on their way...

Oh, thats super funny! those guys were stoked

zidaro

Explorer
these remote beaches don't have much Gringo action, the locals came out to visit

fullsizeoutput_6ebe_zpsct4xrmn5.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6ec0_zps6xlfaig1.jpeg

beautiful coastline

fullsizeoutput_6ed0_zpscr9jucdd.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6ec3_zpsgyaoxw1h.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6ed7_zpshbf74fft.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6ee7_zps98qloy7e.jpeg

Pulled a Ponga boat to the water for a few Hooka fisherman from Mainland Mex. loaded with Grouper They pulled in late at night when the tide was high :) They offered to fill my ice chest with fresh catch for the favor, but that juice would have been with us the rest of the trip

fullsizeoutput_6ee8_zpscejcmipp.jpeg

Dropping into Calamujue Wash on our way towards Bahia de Los Angeles

fullsizeoutput_6ef8_zpsuvrtj5b8.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6ef9_zpsx2jos1fx.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6efa_zps4o1efkdp.jpeg

gets wet and narrow in some places, but was "mostly" an easy trail this season
fullsizeoutput_6eff_zps2a9ixqtp.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6f04_zpsqo7p7dd6.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6f01_zpsuqwfg8ku.jpeg

Desert floor above has nice two track /old baja courses to follow for ever!
fullsizeoutput_6f08_zpstjb9u9pq.jpeg

the obstacles are obvious and plentiful

fullsizeoutput_6f07_zpsqti1ryjr.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6f0b_zpskubu6pxo.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6f0e_zpsi1ansea5.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6f17_zps2r5sjy68.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6f1c_zpsm2z4rkr7.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6f21_zpsvq9lcdrw.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6f26_zpsapnbmqdy.jpeg

Landed in Bahia after dark that day, enjoyed a delicious seafood meal at Casa del Sol, one of the only sit down restaurants in Bahia. Was great to have a "prepared" meal.

We then pulled out of Bahia heading south into the darkness to find a solitaire desert camp for the night.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Sadly i have your answer. :costumed-smiley-007 For Gringos in Tecate and Local police atleast.
First i turned around ( made a U-turn) in a parking lot to change directions on the main street. This was apparently not acceptable ;) I was told that if i went to the Judge to resolve the issue i would likely be charged ~$80 or more. He could arrange $60 an acceptable offer to the judge. I actually talked myself out of that ticket and he "let" me go.
However- i believe i was then put on the list of "he aint getting outta town without a ticket"
I was immediately followed once i pulled out of the Panaderia we snacked at, followed for a few minutes out of town then pulled over for having a rear hitch rack that may have been blocking my license plate a bit. couldn't argue with that one and new i had a bullseye on my back at that point. Super nice Officer BTW, all smiles and friendly. He offered the same, and i negotiated to a simple $40.
Had no issues after that.

$80-60 sounds steep to me...negotiating down to $40 during the second contact seems reasonable.

Thanks for the details.

James

zidaro

Explorer
woke in the desert
fullsizeoutput_6f28_zpsxtwck37n.jpeg

drove to the sea
fullsizeoutput_6f43_zpsrm4c40wr.jpeg

set up camp on another deserted beach! threw some blocks under my axle and dug out the tire .
Id been having a slow leaking for days, enough to wake in the am with a full flat, and need to refill during the day maybe once or twice. Sprayed it down multiple times with windex, could not find any evidence of bubbles/leak/sounds. Now that we had a couple days, though it was time to investigate.
Pulled it off and found it was a crack in the rim! YAY!! Never hit anything of substance, or atleast don't recall such an occurrence :beer:
fullsizeoutput_6f3a_zpsvcyqeszv.jpeg

tried popping the bead in the sand- tough with only short 2x4s. off to a remote ranch down the beach to see what tools area avail.
fullsizeoutput_6f3c_zpsuxoj0acr.jpeg

a bead popper!! I love BAJA!!!
fullsizeoutput_6f40_zps6e6wbg6c.jpeg

ground the crack out, filled it with JB, then put a HEAVY layer of RTV gray over the whole area and let it dry. :chef:
fullsizeoutput_6f42_zpsygzocc2c.jpeg

one gorgeous place. stayed here a few days.
fullsizeoutput_6f4d_zpscyy8ud9f.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6f4f_zpskbjatqkp.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6f52_zpsqtahfgiz.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6f5b_zpsxiy9tn6f.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6f58_zps8vz0jkou.jpeg

woke up one morning and headed South into the desert
Giant Cardon!!
fullsizeoutput_6f5c_zpsbqthwe7t.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6f6c_zpsivdiylxp.jpeg

found another beach. this one had a taqueria! yahoo.
fullsizeoutput_6f72_zpsfyehhta1.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6f74_zpsyjndldny.jpeg

and one heck of a bay to camp in
fullsizeoutput_6f77_zpsgaqkc9nu.jpeg

woke to heavy wind, so we pulled out for a desert day
fullsizeoutput_6f7d_zpsqlanyizm.jpeg

a very tight trailed day in the desert. my camper will forever have ocotillo scars to remember it :)
fullsizeoutput_6f83_zpsvppf31wk.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6f87_zpsezncb6xl.jpeg

zidaro

Explorer
found another deserted forever beach and drove to the end of it to camp at
fullsizeoutput_710a_zpsrj0wgtwp.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6f9f_zps4nsuy5rv.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6fb1_zps2enpi5to.jpeg

paddled, snorkeled, hiked, and chewed on sticks here a few days. amazing place.
fullsizeoutput_6fd4_zpsflbkklc0.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6fcb_zpsli4bgev5.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6fc5_zpsjiecmljm.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6fc1_zps81hhosvz.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6fb2_zpsrwqmbkqv.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6fca_zpscwg3uidp.jpeg

oh, and my wheel continued to hold air! did not explode thankfully

rruff

Explorer
Love all your photos and stories, wish I was there! You are on the west (edit: I mean east) side correct? Still north of Mulege?

Crazy about your wheel, must have been a flaw. Hope you can get it warrantied. But maybe not, you've had those rims a long time, eh?

Last edited:

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Dang, cracked wheel :(

Of course the ranch had a bead-breaking tool...there is not a tire store nearby, right?

Great field fix!

Camp spots look fantastic!!! :)

Dmski

Adventurer
Its official. Baja is now on the list of must travel to before I die places! Great photos and really cool to see where you are able to get to in a 4x4. Makes me want to just drive south right now.

JLink

damn you are a really bad example. I clicked on a google images pic of your rig with the camper and now 2 days later just finished reading the whole thread!

I've got a 2010 tacoma thats all "expo'd" up and lately I've been feeling like it doesn't work for me anymore.

If you don't mind, can you give me some feedback on your experience with the Tundra?

I need to be able to be to tow a heavier load, travel a greater distance on 1 tank of fuel, have more room to be more comfortable with kids on the way and dogs, either a slide in camper or a toy hauler would be a big upgrade over the RTT. But I like that with the slide in you can still get into remote areas and still have the option of towing a trailer for toys.

I've found that the 2016+ Tundras come with a larger fuel tank and trailer brake controller. Looks like theres rumors of a diesel tundra for 2019?

Here's a pic of my current set up:
IMG_6081.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier