7.3L vs. 6.0L vs. V10 Sportsmobile

dsw4x4

Adventurer
Aside from the 6.0 7.3 debate I have some real world v10 7.3 numbers for you to crunch. My van 15 pass poptop raised roof is a 7.3 with 4.10s and 35 inch tires. My buddy has the same van in a v10 with a raised roof poptop 34 inch tires and I believe he has 3.70s. Lightly loaded towing nothing we both run around 14mpg at 70 or 75 going across Kansas/ Nebraska. Up that speed about to about 80 or 85 my 7.3 stays around 14 he drops to about 12mpg add a head wind he drops a little bit more I stay the same. Add a trailer hauling a load I drop to about 12 he drops to about 8. Head west in the mountains instead of east across the plains towing a load his speed is forced to drop to around 40 and gpm is 6 to 8. I drop to 12 or ten on a real bad day and my speed stays above 60. If you plan on towing a lot I would stay away from the v10 everything seems to work harder tranny temps run higher etc etc...

Toolman

Explorer
I found it and next weekend I will be picking it up... :wings:.

I will post some pics and the story when it's home safe and sound in my back yard...

Last edited:

Saline

Adventurer
We have an 04 6.OL and love it. No real problems other than some issues from it sitting for months with the PO.

The 6.0L is a horrible engine for ambulances and I wouldn't totatlly judge it by that.
Ambulances frequently do all of the following that are not 6.0 friendly:
Extended idling periods
Cold start then run hard
Quick shutdowns
-----
Change your filters and oil regularly
Don't idle on low idle
Let the turbo cool down before shutdown
Install a coolant filter
Don't bump the HP too much with a tuner as heat buildup is an issue in the vans

I'll cross my fingers too.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
My last P/U truck was diesel and my E350 4x4 has the V10. The diesel pulled moutain grades way better because a turbo compensates for altitude. The V10 is smooth as silk and very quiet. It runs great in every way but just not as powerfull. I love that engine for it's reliability and just how smooth and strong it runs. My understanding is that the 7.3 is the best diesel but they are very loud in the cabin and the make the drivers compartment hot. Some say that the 7.3 sportsmobile was the holy grail. They are rare and owners are extra proud of them $$$. My V10 milage towing the Jeep on a trailer is 11-13. The 7.3 is detuned from the factory to reduce the heat. Modifing with tuners may not be a good plan. The new V10's in the P/U's get the very strong 3 valve engine but the vans all still get the proven and very reliable old 2 valve v10. Anyway if you find a deal on a clean v10 then jump on it. The 03 and newer have more threads for the spark plugs but if you find an old one with the original plugs then they are OK. The plugs seem to be a problem only after a monkey changed the plugs. Do your research before attempting or letting anybody touch the plugs on any of the Ford gas engines. The last thing is the rear end gears. Mine are 3.73 and they suck. If you can find one with the factory 4.30's then that would be good. If you buy with 3.73's and tow often then budget 4.56 gears with tires 33" or higher. Mike at 5 star is the guru when you want a V10 tune to compensate for tires weight ect. I don't know what he does to the transmission tuning but it's like getting and extra gear out of it. Good luck with your search!

Toolman

Explorer
Here's an update...

I got approved to by an RV.. however the value of a SM isn't in KBB and the NADA value is far from correct due to the fact that SM offers features that aren't in NADA's system .. the big one 4X4 conversion, so the credit union will only finance a third of the cost of the rig.. bummer.
I found one that is possible keeper however it's a 5.4L V8 and it's not going to pull my Jeep very easily. I really like it, it's done close to what I would do if I was going to build one. I've checked out a couple of conversions done by SM and I'm underwhelmed by the creativity that has gone into the design and type of materials used and more importantly the waste of space.. I don't really like the PH top and I would probably rip everything out and redesign it from the floor up, so I've decided to find a low mileage E350 Super Duty 7.3L Diesel and build it my way.. sure it won't have the name on the side but it will be done the way I want it and it will be done right. I've done enough rock crawling to know that up travel is very important and the same things are being said by the guys who own Quigly's or Quadravan's .. they pretty much ride on the bump stops when off roading which concerns me. I want a cushy ride off road, after all that's why I want a 4 wheel drive van.

So the search is on for a sweet 7.3L Diesel.

"VAN-DEBTA" is going to be built by me.. It may take a little longer than I'd like but it will get done.

Any advice is always welcome.
Thanks for helping me out with my decision..

Disclaimer... I like Sportsmobile's and I would buy one if it was newer and the 4X4 conversion was done with leafs and an Atlas 2, but I can't get the value correct for the financing..

Last edited:

18seeds

Explorer
.. sure it won't have the name on the side but it will be done the way I want it and it will be done right.

and you just saved yourself $20k for the van built the way you want it. Win-Win. Good luck.

My 2003 Quigley 7.3 build has just started :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior