Expo prepped Hummer H3T

saltflyer

Rig looks great. I am in the process of turning my H3T into an expedition vehicle. Love the roof tent but am also looking at the Campa bed. Mine is blacked out with the front/rear lockers. I currently have a Midland 79-290 cb with at wilson 1000 roof mount antenna.

IMG_0004.jpg

DSCF5598.jpg

Nice to see another H3T expedition vehicle. I think they fit the bill.

Rot Box

Explorer
Man you guy's are making me jealous! :Wow1:

I'm very curious of how the IFS front end does with the locking differential... It seems like that is uncharted waters for a lot of car manufacturers. I'll take one! :bike_rider:

maximumrob

Adventurer
I'm subscribing to this thread and expect to see more pictures of mods. Since the Hummers are out of production, I'm looking forward to seeing their prices drop on the used lots. I'll be on the lookout for an H3T Alpha!

Err

Observer
Nice ride saltflyer! Good to see another H3T all blacked out.

I do love my RTT but a Flippac might be really sweet, seems like they could make one to fit the bed, it's not really that much smaller than a Tacoma.

Rot Box -
I try to be easy with the throttle when using the front diff lock but no problems so far and I've used mine a good bit. A few folks have swapped in D44's up front so there are possible upgrades if you need the strength.

KLAKEBRONCO

Adventurer
Thanks all for the comments, it has been a fun project.

Yeah, went from the wagon to the truck. We slept inside the wagon and carried our gear on top/back but really wanted to go to a RTT. For a couple of reasons, I wasn't 100% sold on ladder access to the tent. The pickup allows us to step from the tailgate, to the bed top, to the tent with ease. This really makes mid-night pee breaks a non issue. We have a German Shepard that used to travel with us a lot and it's much easier to get a dog into the tent from the bed of a pickup.

There were a couple other reasons to update. One being that we had the first year H3 with the smaller motor (3.5l) that tended to have valve issues. It was also a base trim w/o lockers or the 4:1 transfer case. The 4:1 case is phenomenal, the crawl ratio is really great if you keep the 33's. And, of course, lockers make most things a cake walk. It's also worth noting that the '09 H3's picked up a cast iron diff housing along with the front locker availability. Prior years were breaking diffs even without lockers. Still can happen with the new ones but it's considerably more rare.

And finally, I much prefer the storage situation with the pickup. As you can see we're usually carrying bikes and often climbing or canyoneering gear. That stuff just stinks after a few days on the road. Being able to isolate dirty gear in the bed, separate from the cab is huge on a week long trip. You ever stand in stagnant water at the bottom of a slot canyon? That stuff stinks!

So, yeah, really happy with the 'T over the wagon, it suits our needs perfectly.

From what I understand, not only is the front diff an Iron case, but it's the 1/2 ton sized diff too, which that in itself should be a nice upgrade in strength compared to the Colorado front Diff. The Iron case is just that much better.

I really like the H3's. Much more practical, more usable, and better looking than the H2's

sami

Explorer
Err,

I see your rig around town somewhat frequently. I've more or less fallen in love with it, and now I really want the same setup. I believe I saw a blonde chick driving it the other day.. Does she come with the truck at time of purchase? ;)

FOXedupONE

IMG_2104.jpg

Your buildup inspired mine early on before I even got a H3t. Let us know how you do with the batteries and solar install if you do it. I'm interested as well in getting some power mostly for a fridge and heated mattress pads or fans to run all night but also music,laptop charging and other small stuff etc...

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
That front bumper is a really nice :Wow1:addition to your truck Err! Is that Whistler B.C. in one of your biking shots with the round pipe you are in? Welcome to the site and please KEEP THOSE PICS COMING!:)

Saiyan66

Adventurer
Very nice truck, looks like you have done a great job keeping things simple and functional. Oh and the look on your girl's face in the road jump pic is priceless. Wish I could get my wife out on the trails like that.

ExpedH3T

Explorer
Anyone know where this waterfall is? Looking for out of CA trip ideas.

Thanks Brian!

Yeah, I looked hard at various platforms more commonly built up on this site but decided on a slightly different route. And just so we don't get confused with the mall cruiser crowd, here we are running trails in Moab with the temp tag still on ->
mm_trail5.jpg

mm_trail8.jpg

And an amusing shot parked on top of a water fall in our old H3 wagon ->
h3_waterfall.jpg

ALPHAdog4X4

Hummers rock . Specialy when they are on there element. Those trucks need no modifications to be used on any road conditions.

That's why no other vehicle in USA keeps its value and increases in value as the H1 ( fact ) and if u look at prices on the h3 and h3t they didnt drop much in 5 years .. 2008 h3t kept its value more than 2009 range rover . Haha

owlxxx

Observer
Hummers rock . Specialy when they are on there element. Those trucks need no modifications to be used on any road conditions.

That's why no other vehicle in USA keeps its value and increases in value as the H1 ( fact ) and if u look at prices on the h3 and h3t they didnt drop much in 5 years .. 2008 h3t kept its value more than 2009 range rover . Haha

That is true. I have an '06 H3 and have been looking to acquire an H3T alpha and the prices are still up there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz